Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

Went about how I expected. I didn't expect Askren to look so out of shape.

Jake Paul is looking better and better. So what's his next fight?  He's not ready for a real boxer. Maybe another MMA guy, but a striker this time.

1 minute ago, ajax said:

Went about how I expected. I didn't expect Askren to look so out of shape.

Jake Paul is looking better and better. So what's his next fight?  He's not ready for a real boxer. Maybe another MMA guy, but a striker this time.

dude robbie lawler couldn't knock ben askren out. I'm super fucking pissed about this.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

really? that ref called that fight way way way way way too early. do you watch boxing?

Not the ending I wanted at all for sure but his legs were obviously still not under him when he stumbled into the ref almost before he called it...

2 hours ago, immamac said:

WHAT? are you watching the same shit I was? straight up trash.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNy4iUVB97w/?igshid=e05y5icdhonj

Yea from this angle it doesn’t look like that....   I wanted Jake to get knocked out too but this punch wasn’t a fake fall. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

If you paid to watch this you are a gaping anus.

Nah. If even a small portion of those people who would never otherwise watch boxing start becoming boxing fans it's a win.

The Surly thread on Pernell Whitaker passing away, one of the greatest boxers of all time, has two whole replies. We need more eyes on boxing.

13 minutes ago, ajax said:

Nah. If even a small portion of those people who would never otherwise watch boxing start becoming boxing fans it's a win.

The Surly thread on Pernell Whitaker passing away, one of the greatest boxers of all time, has two whole replies. We need more eyes on boxing.

Agreed about sweet p. But the celebrity shit is more of a perversion than a promotion. Ben Shapiro vs Belle Delphine isn't going to advance the sweet science. 

42 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Agreed about sweet p. But the celebrity shit is more of a perversion than a promotion. Ben Shapiro vs Belle Delphine isn't going to advance the sweet science. 

True but you can tell that Jake Paul is taking it seriously. He's showing good technique and he showed good discipline in the fight. He didn't go in brawling like it was Rough N'Rowdy (which I love cause it's such a trainwreck, but it's not boxing). Jake Paul's problem is his weight. He can try to train & close the skill gap but the truth is that he is a super middle weight at most. Last night he was fighting at cruiser, and those guys will literally end his life.

And dude are you reading my mind? I was talking to my wife last night about Belle Delphine getting into boxing. But she should fight the "cash me outside, how bow dat?" girl.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I just saw the word "box" and thought of Belle Delphine.

I love boxing but I'm far, real far from being any kind of boxing connoisseur or even a slightly observant student of the sport.  To me, Jake Paul looks like a rich dude getting real training from real trainers and doing the work.  But I still think I need to see him box a boxer before I can judge him as a boxer.  If he mows down Paulie Shore next I'll begin to really consider him. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The fight is on free TV here in Mexico. Nice to see I can watch at the bar or back in the hotel room.

Yea when I lived in Monterrey for a few years I was shocked that all the big fights were free. It was awesome

This dude is fucked. 

A 27-year-old woman whose body was found in a lagoon in Puerto Rico was a companion of lightweight boxer Felix Verdejo, who has been questioned by police and whose car was seized overnight, Puerto Rican authorities said Sunday.

No one has been arrested in the case, and Verdejo and his attorneys have declined comment. Police said Verdejo met with investigators Friday morning but did not cooperate and refused to answer questions.

Puerto Rico's Institute of Forensic Science said in a statement that Keishla Rodriguez was identified via dental records and that officials are still analyzing Verdejo's car.

Top Rank, which has promoted Verdejo, 27, since he turned pro in 2012, released a statement on the situation Saturday.

"Top Rank's thoughts and prayers are with Keishla Marlen Rodriguez Ortiz's family and friends, and with all those in mourning," the statement read. "We are deeply disturbed by the news reports, and we will continue to monitor developments in the case as it progresses."

Rodriguez's family has said she was pregnant with Verdejo's child. Keila Ortiz, the woman's mother, told reporters that her daughter had called her before she vanished Thursday and told her Verdejo was going to her house to see the results of a pregnancy test.

"I told her, be careful, because he had already threatened her" and told her not to have the baby, mentioning his career and family, she said.

Verdejo is married but has known Rodriguez since middle school and had kept in touch with her, her parents said. They reported her missing after she never showed up to work at an animal grooming business.

Verdejo (27-2, 17 KOs) is a former Olympian who represented Puerto Rico in 2012. His professional career was temporarily sidetracked after he was hospitalized following a motorcycle crash in 2016.

The case has outraged many in Puerto Rico, where another woman was recently found burned to death after she filed a domestic violence complaint that a judge dismissed. A Superior Court judge has announced an investigation into that decision.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

Berlanga’s streak is broken and nobody commented? I expected more from this thread. 

i watched that one live and then flipped to the ufc ppv.  watched the navarette fight on dvr the next morning and it was so good that i forgot to mention the berlanga fight.

long term it was probably what he needed and he did end the 8th round with a nice ass knock down punch.  will be very interesting to see what he does next time out (which i believe is tentatively scheduled for june 12 on the undercare of a shakur stevenson fight.

also, lomachenko's return on june 26th against masayoshi nakatani is an intriguing as hell fight.  nakatani's only loss is to teofimo and it was a decision.  in his last fight, he knocked out the guy who apparently just killed his girlfriend.

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I could easily live there.  Actually considering it.

I bought a raffle ticket from the Inst. of Technology for the multimillion dollar house they build and raffle away every year. Comes with Tesla and Mercedes. Would love to win the raffle and move down there :)

looking forward to Canelo’s fight tonight.