Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Yeah, I know jack-fucking-shit about him, but he looked good. 

haha, same thing for me.

and yeah, this fight is not very good, but i'm a little impressed with this angulo guy.  espn doesn't have him ranked in their top 10 super middleweights, but he is putting up a solid showing against the guy they have ranked #1 in the division. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really important fight for Mikey last night, and he passed the test. Enough of the random/obscure European champions, took on a rangy undefeated champ in Easter and won. 

I thought it was funny that Adrien Broner apparently offered his trainer to Easter for this fight, and the result was damn near the exact same. Try to outbox Mikey with speed and jabs for a couple rounds (while Mikey mostly bides time trying to figure out his approach), then taste some big power and clam up for the rest of the fight. Easter may have lasted 2-3 rounds longer before shelling up, but those last 3 rounds or so he was hardly throwing, hands high and scurrying along the ropes. Guess that trainer really has no idea how to beat an elite fighter. 

Kovalev is a Russian mafia type bitch ...I'm so clueless on worthless HBO I didn't even remember that fight was happening ...

personally I'd like to see all those other Russian light heavyweight fuckers knocked out so Lamphley and Kellerman would stop slurping their balls before they've fought anyone 

Edited by michaelpshayes

• 2 weeks later...

I guess no one else was the YouTubers fight. Logan Paul clearly outclassed the other guy despite having only trained a few months. He just gassed. When they rematch, Paul is going to destroy the other guy. And as big a douchebag Logan Paul is, the other guys is much bigger db.

On a less ridiculous note, I brought up Josh Kelly on Shaggy when he only had five fights. This kid continues to impress. I think he's special, but it's not definitive yet. His level of competition is going to jump up significantly. I just love watching slick, technical Fighters.

Garcia-Porter this weekend. 3 years ago,  before the rise of Errol Spence, I would've been ecstatic about this fight, but now it only slightly moves the needle. I'll be at the UT game but hoping to catch some of it when I get home.

Canelo-GGG is sneaking up quickly too. I'm still riding with Canelo, even though the majority of people seem to have turned on him (probably with reason), but I can't help but want to see the hype behind GGG finally get beaten out. I still say the gameplan should be Ward-Kovalev II.... Go to the body early and often and use your speed to dictate the terms of the fight. A few nut shots won't hurt either. It's not illegal unless it's called.

Garcia/Porter will be good. I was on GGG for the first fight but I think Canelo takes this rematch by decision. Father time and all the rounds GGG has had in his career have to catch us to him sooner than later. 

Speaking of Spence, any chance we get the dream fight with him and Crawford before the end of 2019?

5 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Garcia/Porter will be good. I was on GGG for the first fight but I think Canelo takes this rematch by decision. Father time and all the rounds GGG has had in his career have to catch us to him sooner than later. 

Speaking of Spence, any chance we get the dream fight with him and Crawford before the end of 2019?

I keep reading that the Spence vs Mikey Garcia fight is really going to happen ....I can't imagine who in the world is pushing Mikey that way, it is a suicide mission ...

you'd probably get Spence vs Thurman before Spence vs Crawford ......Spence vs Crawford is in 2020 at the earliest if I was guessing 

On 9/6/2018 at 2:48 PM, michaelpshayes said:

I keep reading that the Spence vs Mikey Garcia fight is really going to happen ....I can't imagine who in the world is pushing Mikey that way, it is a suicide mission ...

you'd probably get Spence vs Thurman before Spence vs Crawford ......Spence vs Crawford is in 2020 at the earliest if I was guessing 

Good to know. What’s your prediction on the Garcia/Porter fight tonight? Pretty close odds 

Glad Porter won. Always liked him. Garcia has been coddled his entire career but there's only so long before you have to fight a live one, and he's lost the two most important fights of his career. He'll fight Berto or Broner or someone to make some money for as long as possible.

It seems like Garcia/Spence might happen even before Porter/Spence. Both fighters want it, Mikey is being vocal about it. Although I don't think it's a good matchup, calling it a "suicide" mission is kind of over the top (not just here but I've seen it called similar on other sites). I wouldn't pick Mikey, but he's way too damn good to go out there and get obliterated by Spence. Spence isn't going to put his lights out or cripple him, if anything he will make it a phone-booth fight that wears down Mikey maybe for a late stoppage. I'm thinking like when DLH jumped way too high and challenged Bernard Hopkins. He had the skills to challenge but shouldn't have been in that ring like 3 divisions above where he should have been (especially not with a HOF fighter like B-Hop). The chorus of "nobody wants to see this because Spence is literally going to paralyze Mikey" is growing a bit too loud, lets temper the hysteria and remember that Mikey is a Top 5 fighter in the world right now. It won't be a career-ending loss if he gets stopped by Spence.

I watched a replay of the fight on Sunday. Also glad Porter won. Can't stand Garcia. He had no answer for Porter's forward pressure. 

As for Mikey Garcia, i like him a lot and he is a top 5 P4P fighter, but size matters in this sport. Spence is #1 on my P4P list, followed by Crawford. I think Spence def puts the hurting on Mikey and probably does finish him, if not Mikey is going to take a brutal beating for 12 rounds. 

Moving on to the big fight this weekend, my prediction is Canelo by decision. GGG couldn't knock him out in the 1st fight and now is just that much older. Plus you know Oscar always has at least one judge in his pocket like the first fight. I would love to see GGG KO him, but i just don't see that happening.