Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Fury is like if James Toney had Klitchko brothers’ size.   It was only a matter of time until Wilder ran into someone who could make him pay for just bombing haymakers like a wild man at this level of boxing.  The crazy part is really that so many of the other top contenders couldn’t make him pay.  

Yea Luis Ortiz really should have beaten Wilder but heavy hands can win. Fury is simply too good technically for someone like Wilder. Fighting someone bigger than you is hard especially for a power puncher 

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Fury is like if James Toney had Klitchko brothers’ size.   It was only a matter of time until Wilder ran into someone who could make him pay for just bombing haymakers like a wild man at this level of boxing.  The crazy part is really that so many of the other top contenders couldn’t make him pay.  

Well, it's not a great time for the heavyweight division.  People have been acting like Deontay Wilder is an all-time great because he's been knocking out a bunch of guys no one will remember in 10 years.  Hell, we saw four guys in there tonight who could beat Wilder in their primes: Tyson Fury, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, and Lennox Lewis.  Plus Ali, Frazier, Foreman, etc.  Wilder is an amazing puncher, but he's very easy to hit, and all of those guys would hurt him.

That said, I'd watch the hell out of a Wilder/Joshua fight...

Edited by TexArcher

28 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fury is dominating this fight through 3 rds. I’m not gonna pretend like i know shit about boxing, but i can’t say i saw that coming.

Also, I’ll preface this by saying read my statement above, but it seems like wilder has no game-plan other than haymakers. Like, he has to knock him out or he doesn’t really have a chance.

That's been the MO his entire career

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Fury has got me interested in boxing. He's a showman to the 1000% percentile. Not sure how many more fights Wilder has left. 

The division overall is garbage.  Sad.  Because I’d love to see Fury vs some real talent.  

But again, holy shit was I wrong.  Props to the Tyson betters.  

Fury is the only heavyweight worth a shit since Lennox.  Wlad went from getting blitzed by journeymen like Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster in what should have been his prime, to then dominating the division for 10 years as an old man purely because the talent level of the competition declined so much from the beginning of his career to the end.  

Top notch heavyweight American athletes used to box, and now they don’t.   

Joshua shows boxing talent too.  Too bad he used it all fighting cans until he ran into Ruiz. 

10 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

What the fuck is going on right now? I'm laughing at whatever it is.

He does this every fight with the win. Goofy but lovable. 

principal-2-pag-24.jpeg_914739709.jpeg

His last two fights were just sparring matches as he was getting into excellent shape. Then switched coaches and got a great strategy. No more hanging on the outside, smothering and throwing some bombs of your own. No more standing with your hands behind your back playing around, just whoop ass. Tyson looked like a legend. If he retires now the lineal championship is his forever. Who can even challenge him after that performance?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Cheers. Lots of Irish in my tree. Unfortunately we all got the short end of the traveler stick. No 6' + bruisers.

Lots of family from Manchester.  Some still there.  Those people live a hard fucking life.  Here’s a toast to those rugged bastards.  I’ll never forget visiting and seeing my cousins fight nearly every day.  They were 10-14.  And all fought everywhere.   Interesting way of life. 

Just now, Alvin89 said:

“Wilder was dangerous till the end.” Max Kellerman....  How this idiot is taken serious is beyond me. 

At least I was a dumbass before the fight - how you could watch this for 6+ rounds and think Wilder was still dangerous?  Lol

And your balance comes from your ears.  Once that ear drum popped this shit was game/set/match.  Even without that Wilder was in deep.  

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Lol he don't want Wilder, much less Fury. He's ass my dude. 

Joshua is a much better match vs Fury than Wilder. Wilder isn’t used to being hit and doesn’t know how to protect himself. Joshua is absolutely suspect but he has more technical skills than Wilder. That said,  Fury is better than Klitchsko, Lewis, Holyfield in my opinion and the best heavyweight in a long time.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Joshua is a much better match vs Fury than Wilder. Wilder isn’t used to being hit and doesn’t know how to protect himself. Joshua is absolutely suspect but he has more technical skills than Wilder. That said,  Fury is better than Klitchsko, Lewis, Holyfield in my opinion and the best heavyweight in a long time.

Just saying, Joshua has been dodging those guys in the past. I don't think he wants em. The money is there though. GYPSY KING return to the UK?

31 minutes ago, pops said:

That was awesome. Wilder was done after 3. Got damn. 

I went over to the theater and watched on the big screen. I think it was after the first or second round, whichever round was when Wilder spit out a shit ton of blood. Those jabs, from a huge man, were like getting poked in the face with a tree. Then, the shot to the side of the head that looks like it shattered his eardrum was wicked.

That was just an ass-kicking. I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm pretty certain that outcome was not in my list of scenarios. I do agree with the stoppage. A couple more huge combos and Wilder really could have gotten hurt. 

A while back I covered some boxing and one of the guys I covered, from his days as a light-heavy, was Michael Moorer. And he hit with such power. I can't imagine what power these bigger men have. On a side note one of my favorite interviews of all time was with Emanuel Steward. He was awesome.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

my god

• Haha 1

The broadcast was crap. The undercard was pretty lame, no matter how many times Joe Tess told us how this was the greatest sporting event of all time. They needed Booger there to help him because he sure wasn't listening to what Lennox and Ward were saying.

And for fuck's sake stop talking about the gate being the biggest ever for a HWT fight in Las Vegas. The $16-million was 20 years ago. If it's adjusted for inflation that $16-million is almost $32-million today.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s called the sweet science.  Those dudes could box.  Wilder just launches hay makers.  

Fury can box too. And if you think Lewis and Vitaly or Vlad were some kind of all timer I dunno who you were watching. Holyfield was an all timer but he would be absolutely overmatched against Fury

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Fury can box too. And if you think Lewis and Vitaly or Vlad were some kind of all timer I dunno who you were watching. Holyfield was an all timer but he would be absolutely overmatched against Fury

The current heavyweight crop is ass.  Fury is the best of a very average bunch.  

And IronMike was way smaller.  I don’t care.  He wins vs GypsyKing.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Lewis was big enough in his own right and was pretty awesome at everything.  He basically dominated his entire career except for getting caught by two punches against McCall and Rahman (both of whom he obliterated in rematches).

Holyfield would probably struggle with Fury’s size (Bowe and Lewis both got the best of him after all).  He was a pretty phenomenal athlete in his prime, though, basically able to throw combinations for 12 rounds like a roided up energizer bunny

Absolutely fair. Imo the critiques of the competition of Fury apply equally to the other guys I listed. It’s not as thought those guys were fighting Ali

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The current heavyweight crop is ass.  Fury is the best of a very average bunch.  

And IronMike was way smaller.  I don’t care.  He wins vs GypsyKing.  

Tyson is a whole different animal and I agree with you. But Holyfield never saw him in his prime.

8 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

I'd rather you just keep embarrassing yourself ...so proceed

Right. So tell me who did Lewis beat that is so incredibly impressive?How about Vitaly? Vlad?

Saying that Fury hasn’t faced the best competition is fair. But none of those guys did either. There hasn’t been a true all timer in the heavyweight division in quite some time in my opinion. Fury is the best in some time. That doesn’t mean Fury is Ali or Lewis. It means he’s the best of a relatively good bunch.

meant Louis not Lewis

Edited by hobbes2702