Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

What is up with Teddy? Who did he piss off? 

It was his rant after the Manny vs Jeff Horn decision and then 

Last month, in a Fresno card headlined by junior-welterweight Jose Ramirez, Atlas argued with newly hired co-analyst Mark Kriegel and questioned his credentials.”

good for Teddy on that he’s a fucking joke

• Like 1

Can Loma move up to Welter weight?  He looks too small.

He’s bigger than Manny Paquiao, so ... maybe.

But I have fewer questions about whether he can get above 140 and more questions about how much speed he gives up to get there and how much his power counts against a much bigger man. Loma is a natural lightweight. There’s just a huge physical difference between him and the likes of GGG, Alvarez, or Errol Spence.
The welterweight division is and always has been the best division in boxing. It’s the sweet spot of speed, reach, power and workrate. There be dragons.

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

He’s bigger than Manny Paquiao, so ... maybe.

But I have fewer questions about whether he can get above 140 and more questions about how much speed he gives up to get there and how much his power counts against a much bigger man. Loma is a natural lightweight. There’s just a huge physical difference between him and the likes of GGG, Alvarez, or Errol Spence.
The welterweight division is and always has been the best division in boxing. It’s the sweet spot of speed, reach, power and workrate. There be dragons.

Agree.  Hearns - Leonard Fight in 1982 made me welterweight fan for life.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I mean, Garcia’s only giving up over 4” of both height and reach to a guy who is 12 pounds heavier, just as fast, equally skilled, and a southpaw.

What could go wrong?

fighting at 147 is pushing it for Mikey's frame

Errol was up to 155.6lbs at the fight day weight check when he beat Kel Brook...it was mandatory that neither could gain more than 10lbs after the weigh-in ....since then, the IBF waived same day weigh-in requirements so Errol could come into the ring weighing 160+  

Must be nice to be Canelo.  At best he deserved to come away from his two fights with Golovkin with a loss and a draw.  In a just world, two losses.  Instead he gets a win and a draw out of the deal.  Now he's being paid an insane amount of money to fight way overmatched guys like Fielding. 

• 3 weeks later...

Showbox tonight main card should be good. Haney and Ndogeni, both undefeated going in.

I watched Haney the other day and I was impressed, that was a fight from earlier in the year against Menard. Haney danced around well, got in a good number of punches and Menard gave up after the 9th round.

Edited by relapse98

On 1/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Alvin89 said:

Caleb Plant knocked off Jose Uzcategui in a decent fight last night.  Brandon Figuerora could be a fun guy to watch over the next few years as well.

I ejnoyed the fight. Was rooting for Uzcategui as the underdog, but Plant utilized his handspeed and movement very well in the first half of the fight. Likely he took all 6 first rounds.

Figueroa looked good, much better than his older brother Omar. I've been a big Omar fan bc they're from the RGV, but as good as his record is Omar isn't going to go far with that style (no defense). Brandon looked to move around a bit more.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, Alvin89 said:

Pacquiao vs Broner this Saturday...Any early predictions? Looks like Vegas has Manny as a solid favorite, can't really disagree.

Manny is old and  Broner is just a guy at this point ...was Manny enrolled in VADA testing for this fight? If not,  I’d be inclined to say TKO for Manny ...but never know when the age is thing is going to catch up to him 

3 hours ago, michaelpshayes said:

Manny is old and  Broner is just a guy at this point ...was Manny enrolled in VADA testing for this fight? If not,  I’d be inclined to say TKO for Manny ...but never know when the age is thing is going to catch up to him 

Broner made a comment that they were both enrolled for the VADA testing. Broner also has something like 3 court cases going on right now as well. Pac is also back with Freddie Roach. Should be interesting.

just watched the thurman/lopez fight.  surprised no one has commented on it.

thought thurman came out looking about as sharp as you can after such a long layoff, almost ended it in the 2nd (probably would have had there been another 30 seconds or so), then controlled the next 4 rounds up until the very end of the 6th where lopez hit him with a couple of big punches.  then in the 7th, i thought lopez was gonna knock him out!  definitely the most trouble i've ever seen thurman in.  but he survived and after another couple of close rounds, closed out the fight by clearly winning the final 3 rounds.  all in all it was probably a good thing for him to be in a competitive, 12 round fight after the long layoff.  there are some big fights to make at 147 and he can be involved in any of them.  but he can't take another 2 years off.

also, i just now heard the scores.  how in the fuck could one judge have that 113-113?  what a fucking joke of a scorecard.  

On 1/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, BigOrange1 said:

just watched the thurman/lopez fight.  surprised no one has commented on it.

thought thurman came out looking about as sharp as you can after such a long layoff, almost ended it in the 2nd (probably would have had there been another 30 seconds or so), then controlled the next 4 rounds up until the very end of the 6th where lopez hit him with a couple of big punches.  then in the 7th, i thought lopez was gonna knock him out!  definitely the most trouble i've ever seen thurman in.  but he survived and after another couple of close rounds, closed out the fight by clearly winning the final 3 rounds.  all in all it was probably a good thing for him to be in a competitive, 12 round fight after the long layoff.  there are some big fights to make at 147 and he can be involved in any of them.  but he can't take another 2 years off.

also, i just now heard the scores.  how in the fuck could one judge have that 113-113?  what a fucking joke of a scorecard.  

I thought it was a fun fight. Probably along the lines of 117-111 (if you take out the point deduction and knockdowns etc.). Keith looked really good. He's extremely technical and pretty quick. He'll give the top guys hell, that's for sure (Crawford/Spence). That 7th round was fun, I wasn't rooting for Lopez, but I kinda wanted to see the hilarity ensue if he ended it and won a belt. His punches were so slow but he was landing tons of them that round, he just didn't have enough in him to throw more.