This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

I like Gundy. It was a tough game, and I always expect to have a tough time against his teams. His post game press conference was candid and he seemed genuine in his responses. He made mistakes, imo, on play calls but that happens. I bet those questions get old fast, especially if you are not winning. Good luck to OSU the rest of the year, unless we meet again. 

• 1 month later...

Well, shit.... Rumor is ACL...

https://kfor.com/2019/10/31/osu-wide-receiver-tylan-wallace-injured-in-practice/

News Four has learned Oklahoma State Junior Wide Receiver Tylan Wallace injured his knee in practice on Wednesday. The severity of the injury is unknown.

However, The Oklahoman's Scott Wright reported on Thursday that Wallace underwent an MRI for the injury, but that the results were inconclusive.

News Four reached out to Oklahoma State, but so far hasn't heard back. Wallace has 53 catches for 903 yards and eight touchdowns this season.

Dylan Buckingham spoke to emerging wide receiver Braydon Johnson on Tuesday about Wallace and what he's meant to his development. You can find his answer in the video above.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

So the only receiver Spencer seems capable of seeing is out. Against one of the better coaches defenses in the league. Blowout city. Over under on Sanders picks is 4. 

Not sure I agree.  Wallace is really really good, but I think Hubbard is the most important player on offense.

For one thing, there is a MASSIVE drop-off in ability from Hubbard to the rest of the RBs. 

WR is at least a position where we are deep with talent. Braydon Johnson is pretty fucking good and has shown the ability to make game breaking catches. He's actually averaging a higher YPC than Wallace (22 ypc vs 17 ypc).  I also think Stoner, McCray, Wolf and Woods are all legit targets.  Maybe Sanders will find that out if/when he throws to them?  Taking away his crutch (Wallace) might actually help him develop.

Obviously I'd rather have Wallace in there, because he's a badass, but I don't think it will be the unmitigated disaster that OSU fans think it will be.

Now if we lost Hubbard, OTOH, FML.  

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not sure I agree.  Wallace is really really good, but I think Hubbard is the most important player on offense.

For one thing, there is a MASSIVE drop-off in ability from Hubbard to the rest of the RBs. 

WR is at least a position where we are deep with talent. Braydon Johnson is pretty fucking good and has shown the ability to make game breaking catches. He's actually averaging a higher YPC than Wallace (22 ypc vs 17 ypc).  I also think Stoner, McCray, Wolf and Woods are all legit targets.  Maybe Sanders will find that out if/when he throws to them?  Taking away his crutch (Wallace) might actually help him develop.

Obviously I'd rather have Wallace in there, because he's a badass, but I don't think it will be the unmitigated disaster that OSU fans think it will be.

Now if we lost Hubbard, OTOH, FML.  

I honestly don't think Sanders is capable of seeing the field and making more than one read. He throws almost nothing to the middle of the field which has been a big area for us in the past. Stoner has 24 catches all year., then Wolf at 14, McCray 11, Woods 10. Everyone else is single digits. I hate being negative but I just don't think Sanders is a good QB. Strong, talented, athletic, but is missing something between the earholes that is needed to be a successful QB. I really hope I'm wrong. Gundy says it takes a full season for the game to "slow down" but there have been plenty of really good true freshman QBs who don't commit 5 turnovers in a game and who can spread the ball around. And Sanders had all of last season on the sideline and practice field to get experience. All I can do is watch, support, and hope for the best, but I'm really down on him right now. Maybe you're right and he'll spread the ball around with Wallace out and stop throwing it to the wrong damn team. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I honestly don't think Sanders is capable of seeing the field and making more than one read. He throws almost nothing to the middle of the field which has been a big area for us in the past. Stoner has 24 catches all year., then Wolf at 14, McCray 11, Woods 10. Everyone else is single digits. I hate being negative but I just don't think Sanders is a good QB. Strong, talented, athletic, but is missing something between the earholes that is needed to be a successful QB. I really hope I'm wrong. Gundy says it takes a full season for the game to "slow down" but there have been plenty of really good true freshman QBs who don't commit 5 turnovers in a game and who can spread the ball around. And Sanders had all of last season on the sideline and practice field to get experience. All I can do is watch, support, and hope for the best, but I'm really down on him right now. Maybe you're right and he'll spread the ball around with Wallace out and stop throwing it to the wrong damn team. Fingers crossed.

Oh no that's not what I'm saying - I don't think he'll be spreading it around that much more. They will probably keep him confined to 1-2 reads max.

I just think that his primary/single read will move from Wallace to Johnson. :)  And honestly, Wallace's biggest strength is running downfield routes and then going up strong and taking the ball away from defenders... we've all but abandoned that for a short passing game at this point based on how teams are playing us.

I'm just saying that there are several talented receivers on the team that catch the ball and run if Sanders is going to lock in on them.  Conversely, we have NOBODY on the team that can do what Hubbard is doing.

And yeah I do think you might be using some selective memory on freshman QBs.  Sanders' completion percentage and TD/INT ratio isn't much different than several other recent Big 12 QBs who all ended up being pretty damn good.

• Sanders (so far): 63% / 13 TDs / 10 INTs
  • Baker Mayfield (Fr): 64% / 12 TDs / 9 INTs
  • Kyler Murray (Fr): 60% / 5 TDs / 9 INTs
  • Sam Ehlinger (Fr): 58% / 11 TDs / 7 INTs
  • Mason Rudolph (Fr): 57% / 6 TDs / 4 INTs

I think we are all subject to some amount of confirmation bias when we are watching our own players because we watch closely/scrutinize every single play, while we maybe only see highlights or a few games of players on other teams.  Sanders performance this year is pretty much in line with what the two most recent Heisman winners did as freshmen as well as two other damn solid college QBs.  (I think Rudolph would have had a lot more INTs had he started that entire season - but if you recall he was VERY limited in what they asked him to do in those three games).

Sanders has made a lot of mistakes this year, which you would expect in a freshman QB... he's also made tons of dazzling plays - he's a good QB.  He's been getting better and will be very good in the future.  If you want to see what a "not good" college QB looks like, go back and watch some Dax Garman highlights from 2014. :) 

Oklahoma State receiver Tylan Wallace, a Biletnikoff Award finalist in 2018, suffered a torn ACL in practice Wednesday and will miss the rest of the season, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

An MRI on Thursday confirmed the injury, and it's unclear when Wallace will undergo surgery.

The Oklahoman first reported the diagnosis on Friday.

An OSU athletic department spokesman declined to confirm Wallace's injury because of team policy.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27983547/sources-oklahoma-state-tylan-wallace-torn-acl-rest-season

• 3 weeks later...

Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders will miss the rest of the regular season after thumb surgery this week, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Sanders suffered the injury on a pass attempt last Saturday, when his right hand hit an opposing player's helmet on a follow-through in a 31-13 home win over Kansas. His backup, Dru Brown, replaced him and threw a 43-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28133003/thumb-surgery-sidelines-oklahoma-state-spencer-sanders

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Any of you OSU guys want these? I don’t drink as much beer as I used to and when I do, I’m too lazy to bother with them.

FYI- they’re the freezable type. 3fd2680c3fb81fdbe57e32ad691287b2.jpg

Dude you use amazon?  Me too!  That’s crazy.  I’d recognize those boxes anywhere.  

Source: Mike Gundy may be losing two assistants to coordinator opportunities

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-mike-gundy-may-be-losing-two-assistants-to-coordinator-opportunities/  

Sources tell us that new UNLV head coach Marcus Arroyo is targeting Oklahoma State associate head coach / receivers coach Kasey Dunn to be his offensive coordinator in the desert. We are told that a deal with Dunn is near the final stages.  

We also hear that a second Cowboy assistant is a strong candidate for the defensive coordinator role with the Rebels is defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements.  The opportunity at UNLV would be his first opportunity as the defensive play caller.

19 hours ago, Okie Lite in Zapata said:

That is a helluva what if.........I had a good friend at the game and he swears the FG try was good, even said the ISU crowd groaned because they thought it went through also, then it was ruled no good and crowd erupted. 

I just tell him cool story bro but we fucking lost. 

Being at a game, especially anywhere that isn't directly behind the goal posts, is probably the single worst vantage point from which to judge a FG. Our eyes aren't good enough to tell when it's close.

This video shows the kick right at the beginning, both from the standard TV angle and from the bottom of the goalposts. All of the above being said, I'd forgotten how close it was. NCAA rule is that if the ball goes above the uprights, it has to be 100 percent in to be good. At best it seems to go directly above, so I think no good is the right call. But man, what a gut wrenching thing to look back on for OSU.

Oklahoma State gets boost with WR Tylan Wallace returning

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28404964/oklahoma-state-gets-boost-wr-tylan-wallace-returning 

Oklahoma State wide receiver Tylan Wallace, a former Biletnikoff Award finalist who is recovering from a torn ACL, announced that he will return for his senior season rather than enter the NFL draft.

Wallace made the announcement on social media, posting, "We are building something special in Stillwater and I'm not ready to leave because this is where I belong."

• 2 weeks later...