This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

Just now, Homercles said:

Then why bother bringing it up?  The term is 100 years old stemming from wrestling, which is equally lopsided.  

because it's amusing to see something totally fucking predictable referred to as "bedlam"? 

beyond that, you got me, I admit I only spent six seconds composing that post instead of giving it the deep and sober consideration it deserved

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

because it's amusing to see something totally fucking predictable referred to as "bedlam"? 

beyond that, you got me, I admit I only spent six seconds composing that post instead of giving it the deep and sober consideration it deserved

You’re full of shit...when is anyone here sober?  (Outside bear, twice and the rest of that gang).  

how long have you been on the Internet?

Good point. Without you ignoramuses, how would us know-it-alls appear so knowledgeable? Thank you for your service. Your commitment to not understanding the topics you discuss is admirable.

This one will hurt your head, but in case any intelligent posters are reading along, the word “bedlam” has nothing to do with the outcome. It doesn’t matter who wins. It’s about the process.

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No one can be stopped.... TD Okie Lite

4 TOUCHDOWNS in 14 PLAYS

You’re like the quietest guy on this board to be close to 10k rep...granted it took like 20k posts to get there but I appreciate you keeping it real with clips, insight and thoughtful views on the foot game of ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Good point. Without you ignoramuses, how would us know-it-alls appear so knowledgeable? Thank you for your service. Your commitment to not understanding the topics you discuss is admirable.

This one will hurt your head, but in case any intelligent posters are reading along, the word “bedlam” has nothing to do with the outcome. It doesn’t matter who wins. It’s about the process.

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike Gundy shares a story that every parent with kids who play sports should listen to

By Doug Samuels -     March 15, 2021

With my oldest son reaching the age where he can play tee-ball this summer, my wife asked (read: assumed) that I would jump at the opportunity to coach him. While a small part of me would love to make those memories with my son, a much bigger part of me just wanted to be a dad for those moments for now.

To put it in the simplest of football terms: based on my wife’s reaction, you’d have thought I just turned down a fully-guaranteed contract to be an SEC head coach.

Long story short, she’s offered to coach the team instead.

But thinking about me taking off my coaching hat to watch him play tee ball brings me to this story from a clip with Mike Gundy that has been floating around.

In the clip, Gundy talks about watching his sun, Gavin, play baseball. For Gundy, it was tough for him to take his coach’s hat off.

In fact, Mike shares an illuminating story about some perspective his father provided while they watched Gavin that will really hit home with a lot of coaches that watch their kids play sports.

“I stood up, and I was kind of coaching him [Gavin] from behind the fence while he was batting, and he looked over at me and he says, ‘What the hell are you doing?'”

“So I said, what do you mean?”

“He says, ‘Well who the hell are you yelling at?’ and I said ‘Well, Gavin. I’m coaching him.”

Mr. Gundy told Mike, “Would you just sit down. You’re not coaching him. He’s playing in a game. First thing is, you ain’t the coach. Second thing is, he’s playing in a game so all the coaching is over with. You can’t tell him what to do anymore. Let him play. Then, if you want to correct him when he gets home, you can correct him. But you’re not coaching him in a game right now.”

“All you’re doing is frustrating him and making him think about you instead of letting him have fun playing the game,” Mr. Gundy went on to share.

Gundy says he just sat down and looked at his dad, who told him “The best thing you can do is sit down and keep your mouth shut and let the kid play.”

A great lesson, not only for those of us that have kids, but also for us to remember during our own games. The real coaching should happen in the days leading up to game day.

For whatever reason, probably the fact that I’ll have a son fighting nerves for his first tee ball practices and then games soon enough, that message hit home with me today.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Just now, Okie State said:

I remember hearing about kids jumping from the dorms occasionally. So sad that anyone would consider doing that.

yea Texas stopped admission to the observation deck of the tower for decades and then finally put up a system to prevent jumping and opened it back up

• 2 months later...

Time to keep the winning streak alive! Fun fact, our winning % against 'Bama is 0.846 higher than aggy v bama. Is Joe Kines still alive? (answer yes and only 76 years old, I swear he was 80 in 2006).

Edited by 'stache

• 2 weeks later...

As Mike Gundy accepts another $1 million cut, OSU ticket sales are at a hot level

Bill Haisten    Jun 19, 2021 Updated 16 hrs ago

One year ago this week, Mike Gundy was at the center of his One America News network T-shirt controversy.  For the Oklahoma State head football coach, there was a voluntary 2020 pay cut of $1 million. In 2021, the Tulsa World has learned, Gundy’s money again will be $1 million less than what he contractually was scheduled to make.

Before there was a pandemic, a T-shirt situation and the aftermath of the T-shirt situation, Gundy was to have been paid $5.375 million in 2021. A university source says Gundy’s compensation will be $4.375 million.  Another year of a million-dollar reduction has to have been Gundy’s idea. If he were to stomp his foot and highlight the compensation terms of his contract, he likely would get his $5.375 million.  Instead, with another self-absorbed cut, the head coach seems to have considered the state of the athletic department’s finances.

For Gundy’s staff members, there are no raises in 2021. Gundy’s 17th season as the Cowboys’ head coach starts with the Sept. 4 home game against the Bobby Petrino-coached Missouri State Bears.  At $325,000, Petrino as an FCS head coach makes less than eight of the 10 OSU assistant coaches.

Last year’s 25%-of-capacity attendance limit resulted in a severe decline in OSU football revenue. Everyone agrees on the importance of having a “normal” 2021 season with full-house attendance at 55,509-seat Boone Pickens Stadium.

When I inquired about the current level of season-ticket sales, the response was surprising: OSU’s current sales total is ahead of the total on this date in 2019.  With a Bedlam game on the seven-date 2021 home schedule, OSU is making a push toward a magic number: 50,000 season tickets sold.  Only twice — in 2013 and 2017 — has Oklahoma State sold as many as 50,000 season tickets. The record of 50,732 was set in 2017.

If OSU can sell 50,000 season tickets in the wake of a pandemic that affected the bank accounts of nearly all of the school’s alumni and fans, it would be a massive first step in recovering from a bleak 2020.  Mike Holder shared these numbers with The Oklahoman: The OSU athletic director reported that in 2019, Cowboy football generated $37 million in revenue for the athletic department. In 2020, Holder estimated, football revenue amounted to no more than $12 million.

While brisk football ticket sales are a sensational trend, Oklahoma State remains damaged by the effects of the pandemic. For the time being, the 2021 salaries for the Cowboy assistants are identical to the compensation figures of 2020. Topping that list are offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn and defensive coordinator Jim Knowles, each of whom makes $800,000.  Gundy’s highest-paid position coaches — each at a current figure of $550,000 — are defensive line coach Joe Bob Clements and offensive line coach Charlie Dickey.

In advance of the inevitable decline in football revenue, most OSU coaches in all sports and athletic department personnel last year were dealt temporary pay cuts.  Sources reported there was an inability of the university and the football staff to agree on the terms of a 2020 pay reduction. It was said that the football coaches were willing to accept a reduction, but considered the OSU proposal — when compared to the cuts executed at most other FBS schools — to have been excessive.

On July 1, Chad Weiberg succeeds Holder as the athletic director. After that, it is believed that there could be a Weiberg-driven negotiation with the Cowboy football staff. The salary cuts that most major-college football assistants felt last year — they may be felt this year in Stillwater.

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Really?  He's only 53, which is still spry for a college coach.  I'd like him in the conference for as long as possible.  He's good for the Big XII.

He said at some point he didn't expect to coach much past 50. The t-shirt thing from last year had to get to him too, he's a grumpy old man at heart, and can't be real thrilled with where we're heading these days. The myth of "amateurism" is rapidly falling apart, including with yesterday's Supreme Court decision that was essentially a warning to the NCAA to change their ways or face more lawsuits. The second something major changes, I suspect Gundy say he's done and ready to spend more time on his farm and with his family. He's already made more money than can be spent in Stillwater in several lifetimes. He's managed to adjust to the transfer portal without too much complaint (except for how it affects scholarship limits which national commenters have agreed with), but major changes to compensating players and NIL will probably be enough for him to let the new guard take the reigns.

Edited by 'stache