This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just in the last year, there was a football player busted for being a dealer and the FBI is investigating the basketball program.  OSU isn't any worse than any other school but they're convinced OU is the most cheatingest program ever.  

These are some terrible examples.   There was a drug dealer . . . . and he was swiftly kicked off the team.   Every college team has some idiots they have to kick off. But you drew a direct comparison with OU, who has a history of not actually punishing anything their players do.  If you want to see the difference between the two football programs, then compare the treatment of Tyreek Hill with Joe Mixon.  

The basketball thing is a bad look.  But it was a single assistant making money for himself rather than something institutional that helped the team in any way.   And the guy was quickly fired once it came to light.  

I was there from 98-02, getting my MIS undergrad and moving to Austin because there are absolutely zero job prospects worth a shit in Stillwater outside the university. Was a perfect combination for me, small-town college experience and becoming a professional in a growing city that also hates OU...I always get along with you horns and it’s no surprise Shag/Surly is my home on the Internet.

I wanted to do graduate school here but the predictive analytics program is full time and I just can’t stop working for 18mos with two young kids. Northwestern was a great program but I do ragret that I couldn’t stamp a Longhorn in my education to reflect my connection here (wife is a 2x Horn).

I watched you guys in the series, most football games, and have caught the occasional game at the drum. There’s something about Austin that produces mostly good people, and I always have good times even if I’m in my Poke gear.

All those things lead me to act like a respectful guest here, although I’ve seen a few Pokes act like an ass, I’m glad we’re in the ‘mostly cool’ bucket.

• Like 2

That’s 2010-2011 football season slorch.

I ain’t been triggered about our stuff in a long time.

Disappointed? Absolutely.

Pissed off?  Not really.

The comment was genuine dialogue with Poke fans. Our alltime series is tied, with Okie Lite dominating recently.  

On 6/29/2018 at 7:46 PM, slorch said:

That’s 2010-2011 football season slorch.

I ain’t been triggered about our stuff in a long time.

Disappointed? Absolutely.

Pissed off?  Not really.

The comment was genuine dialogue with Poke fans. Our alltime series is tied, with Okie Lite dominating recently.  

Im my opinion, the Texas Tech vs Oklahoma State rivalry should be played at a neutral site like AT&T stadium ,or at least in rotation with the home & home...

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In general, I think it's stupid to force games that have traditionally been home and home into neutral sites.

They tried that with Farmageddon back in '09-10 at Arrowhead and it sucked.

It's just a thought (and in no way am I saying that all my thoughts are right, that is why most of them go left)...

8 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Im my opinion, the Texas Tech vs Oklahoma State rivalry should be played at a neutral site like AT&T stadium ,or at least in rotation with the home & home...

I believe those schools tried that in the Big XII's first year, and I seem to recall a pretty pathetic crowd at Texas Stadium for that one.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I believe those schools tried that in the Big XII's first year, and I seem to recall a pretty pathetic crowd at Texas Stadium for that one.

I think some ideas sound better in theory until faced with actual results as you mention...

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I just looked it up and I guess that happened.  It was a few years before my time.  I do know that in the early-mid 2000s, when both teams were scoring in the 50s every game, they tried to get an annual OSU-Tech game at the state fair a few weeks after OU-Texas.  There was a lot of negative reaction to that in Stillwater. 

First, we were broke as hell and sucked shit in the 90s so we were easy to whore away a home game for some money (we moved our Nebraska game in '97 to Arrowhead too).  By the mid-2000s we were playing well, crowds were good, and Boone Pickens had started us towards stadium renovation.  Doesn't make sense to give away a home game every other year, especially against a team that we perceived to be our closest competition in the second tier of the conference hierarchy.  

Second, it would have clearly been perceived as a "little brother bowl" and there's no way the game would come anywhere close to the Cotton Bowl capacity.  I think both sides knew that and while I know OSU said no, I bet Tech did too.  

I'm fine with neutral site games, but they should all be one-offs (except for the established ones that have been going on for decades).  We played FSU at Jerryworld a few years ago, and MSU at NRG.  I'd be fine with a rotating Big XII game at these stadiums, but it doesn't make sense for Tech and Baylor to be committed to an annual game in Arlington.  I never even remember it's there until the week of.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

We played FSU at Jerryworld a few years ago, and MSU at NRG. 

I think neutral site games are fine for big nonconference matchups, though I'm glad Texas hasn't done that so we can host teams like Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame and USC in Austin. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I'd be fine with a rotating Big XII game at these stadiums, but it doesn't make sense for Tech and Baylor to be committed to an annual game in Arlington.  I never even remember it's there until the week of.  

yes it does.  Thanksgiving weekend in Lubbock means no freaking students. Historically, attendance regardless of opponent was shitty. The game at Jerryworld  has been consistently well  attended and a win for both schools, in Baylor and Tech. I actually wouldn't mind Baylor getting to play their home end of the series at McLane one year so we could go to a game there.

In the off years, it has been Tech playing at Texas on Thanksgiving weekend.

As i posted earlier, I like Tech and OSU playing home and home.  It has been a great series. 

Edited by slorch

How am I just now seeing this thread?  I'll need to do a catch up at some point, but have to run to a meeting now.

Obviously the biggest takeaway about Oklahoma State is that its alumni are handsome devils with a sharp wit.

I'll contribute more later.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:19 AM, Lobo said:

Only been one time.  Fans were great to us.  They opened up a bar across the street from Eskimo Joe's for us so we had a place to drink for an hour before EJ's opened up at 9:00a for an 11:00a kickoff.  They really do hate OU as much as we do. Campus isn't so much ugly, as just kind of sterile looking.  little strip of downtown we saw had a good college town vibe, course we weren't there at nightfall to see what is blossomed into.  

Only complaint about the town is we landed a Southwest flight there, but we couldn't take off from there because the runway was too short for a 737.  So we had to take buses down to OKC to meet our bird.  But damn if those people weren't hanging out by our bus as we left thanking us for coming and handing out beers for the ride. 

That's weird.  I see 737s take off from the Stillwater airport all the time. Lots of teams that come in charter 737s in and out of Stillwater.  

On 6/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, Valmy77 said:

OSU is located in the least ugly part of Oklahoma and their fans are great. My uncle and cousin are both grads. They hate the Sooners. They are my favorite non-Texas Big 12 school.

Also somehow Dexter Manly attended classes at OSU for four years while being functionally illiterate so they clearly have excellent support structures for special needs students.

Other pointed it out, but will reinforce that Stillwater is in no way, shape or form the least ugly part of the Oklahoma. The northeastern part of the state around Tulsa and southeastern part of the state that includes the Ouachita Mountains are by far the best looking part of the state.  Once you get about ~40 miles west of Tulsa all you have is a flat, rolling prairie and red dirt; and then when you get into the panhandle it's essentially like west Texas/New Mexico.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, South Austin said:

Not sure there's another school as well represented on Surley (and before, on Shaggy) as Oklahoma State.  Solid posters on football and nonfootball topics.

Indeed. 

On 6/26/2018 at 7:01 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, most of their student body is from smaller towns rather than big cities and we all know small town girls are easy so there's that.

Actually, this stopped being the case quite a while ago. Basically slightly over half of OSU's student body are from either the OKC or Tulsa metro areas; also in the past 15-20 years they have recruited the crap out of the Dallas and Houston suburbs... They basically go down there looking for kids who are good students but not good enough to get into UT or A&M and offer them in-state tuition to come to OSU.  (OU does the same thing)

14 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Actually, this stopped being the case quite a while ago. Basically slightly over half of OSU's student body are from either the OKC or Tulsa metro areas; also in the past 15-20 years they have recruited the crap out of the Dallas and Houston suburbs... They basically go down there looking for kids who are good students but not good enough to get into UT or A&M and offer them in-state tuition to come to OSU.  (OU does the same thing)

This makes a lot of sense.  Real quick Wikipedia math says that 63% of Oklahoma's population is in those two metros.

16 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Basically slightly over half of OSU's student body are from either the OKC or Tulsa metro areas; also in the past 15-20 years they have recruited the crap out of the Dallas and Houston suburbs... They basically go down there looking for kids who are good students but not good enough to get into UT or A&M and offer them in-state tuition to come to OSU.  (OU does the same thing)

Lady I work with’s son is going to oSu and is in the exact scenario you provided. He attends a Catholic high school in Dallas, is top 20% of his class with good SAT & ACT, extracurriculars, all that stuff. Yet he has no shot at his dream school (UT) or even UT-D.  Okie St offered him in-state tuition, which will be cheaper than Tech.

Good deal for the kids and schools. 

Edited by Dutch

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Lady I work with’s son is going to oSu and is in the exact scenario you provided. He attends a Catholic high school in Dallas, is top 20% of his class with good SAT & ACT, extracurriculars, all that stuff. Yet he has no shot at his dream school (UT) or even UT-D.  Okie St offered him in-state tuition, which will be cheaper than Tech.

Good deal for the kids and schools. 

Yup.

I do some recruiting for the energy company I work for on the OSU campus, interviewing potential business interns.

By the time the students get to me, they have gone through multiple rounds of screening and so I'm only talking to a lot of the top students (mostly 4.0s, tons of activities and awards, etc.).  Typically, I'm interviewing maybe 8-10 students... usually about half are from either Tulsa/OKC and half are from Dallas or Dallas suburbs.

Just announced that we're getting beer sales at football games.  It better not be an exclusive InBev pisswater contract.  We have a pretty good brewery in town that should be part of any beer sales scheme.  I'm already forgetting games because of age.  This won't help.

Just announced that we're getting beer sales at football games.  It better not be an exclusive InBev pisswater contract.  We have a pretty good brewery in town that should be part of any beer sales scheme.  I'm already forgetting games because of age.  This won't help.
You know it will be $12 Bud Lights.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

From the news release:

Beer will be sold at up to 22 locations adjacent to existing concession stands throughout Boone Pickens Stadium, and will include craft selections.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

From the news release:

Beer will be sold at up to 22 locations adjacent to existing concession stands throughout Boone Pickens Stadium, and will include craft selections.

Hmm... I might need to head up there to check out the atmosphere this fall during a game...

From the news release:

I’ve been burned by that statement before. InBev puts Shock Top and Goose Island IPA on tap and calls it craft. The GI IPA is a fine beer but when it’s literally the only “craft” available it makes me surly.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd hope that they put some Prairie on tap at Boone Pickens.  Maybe those guys are Sooner fans, but that's Oklahoma's best brewery.

That stuff would be $25 a cup...

Agreed though.  Tasty libation.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

A 13% Prairie Bomb sounds like a great idea on a 98 degree afternoon game in September after several hours of tailgating.

I'm failing to see a problem here.

In all seriousness, a Standard would hit the spot on such a day.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

How am I just now seeing this thread?  I'll need to do a catch up at some point, but have to run to a meeting now.

Obviously the biggest takeaway about Oklahoma State is that its alumni are handsome devils with a sharp wit.

I'll contribute more later.

Curse those handsome devils!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

OSU started kicking our asses on the regular just after Mike Leach got fired.  Coincidence?

I would say no... (it's not a coincidence) and Leach could have had the team as an annual 3rd best team in the XII by now behind both UT & OU...

Lol.  I lived in Stilly for 11 years.  The insane jealousy of OU and them caring more about not losing to OU than beating anyone else.  It’s paralyzing to their fanbase.   So you guys have that in common.....

Lol.  I lived in Stilly for 11 years.  The insane jealousy of OU and them caring more about not losing to OU than beating anyone else.  It’s paralyzing to their fanbase.   So you guys have that in common.....

Hmmm. That doesn’t seem accurate at all, but if it makes you feel better about your place in life, go with it.

Yet the only people I ever hear at work talking shit on OSU are OU fans. Seems odd since they don't care about us at all.
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 9:33 AM, Jakel said:

Sweet fresh take, bro.

My guess is that this asshat regularly strutted around Stillwater in OU gear, occasionally someone commented on it, and in his head that translates to an OU obsession. 

When we start putting upside down OU stickers on our car, then we can talk about an obsession . . . 

On 7/15/2018 at 9:33 AM, Jakel said:

cool-story-bro_o_1095006.webp