wc day 11 :: marcus the psychic pig

Hagbard Celine

Pretending to be hurt is what has kept me from getting completely into soccer.  I absolutely love the world cup.  I think it's my favorite 'world championship' in all of sports...

but good god, watching grown men roll around on the ground every time they get touched is such a buzz kill.   

Has any team ever just played through all contact?  Like, a coach says, 'this match, maybe we don't fall to the ground unless we actually lose our balance...this match, we just keep playing through contact'.  

I feel like a team with that approach (if equally matched talentwise) would dominate.  If nothing else, it'd surprise the other team who expects them to flop.

Edited by Monster

1 minute ago, Monster said:

Has any team ever just played through all contact?  Like, a coach says, 'this match, maybe we don't fall to the ground unless we actually lose our balance...this match, we just keep playing through contact'.  

I feel like a team with that approach (if equally matched talentwise) would dominate.  If nothing else, it'd surprise the other team who expects them to flop.

that would be the US National Team, who never get the call, and who have learned that it's pointless to flop.  the brutal assaults the nats endured in the late '90s and early '00s especially on the road (in los angeles, new york, houston, dallas and central america) would have seen the opposition down to 3 or 4 men anywhere else in the world.