wc day 12 :: the shia did this

Hagbard Celine

matchday 3

1000 - Group A
the Sunni battle of the Sinai looked interesting at the draw back in December; now, not so much.  Salah better not play. Uruguay will be happy to let Vladnationalism continue unabated. Just like Germany sans Klose, Uruguay did not bring a Forlan replacement. No matter how they finish, the vampire is going nowhere. A good morning to get work done.

1300 - Group B
Spain & Portugal will know what they need to do to avoid Vlad. The problem is, Iran have 3 points, so Portugal have to play.  We could see the most egregious version of Full Sam ever attempted at this level.  80 minutes of megabus, then an attempt to get the goal they need to advance.  Assuming Iran can stymie the Ronaldo cheat code.  Must see tv. Unless and until Portugal put the sword to the fighting ayatollahs.  the battle for the Pillars of Atlas also looked interesting back in December.  now it would take a cosmic miracle for this match to matter.  So in all likelihood, no channel flipping, unless the Iberians are chasing a goalfest to win the group to avoid Vlad.

Saudi Arabia ksa.png&h=50v egy.png&h=50Egypt 9:00 AM FOXS1  
Uruguay uru.png&h=50v rus.png&h=50Russia 9:00 AM FOX  
Iran irn.png&h=50v por.png&h=50Portugal 1:00 PM FOX  
Spain esp.png&h=50v mar.png&h=50Morocco 1:00 PM FOXS1

1000 - Group A
Saudi Arabia and Egypt are both Sunni nations.  87-90% of the world’s Muslims are Sunni, unlike Iran, which is Shia.  Saudi Arabia and Egypt share the Sinai desert as a common buffer zone, given that one is secular and the other, isn't.  When the draw was made on 1 December 2017, this game tomorrow between the two of them  looked interesting given that Islamic middle-eastern countries rarely play one another in the World Cup; but with the results in group play to this point, that is no longer the case.  Given that the result is meaningless, as a fan of Liverpool, where Mohammed Salah plays, I would prefer that he not play tomorrow.  As do Liverpool fans worldwide.  Mohammed Salah is The Messiah, and he has a gourd. Uruguay will be happy to not contest the game with Russia, lest they become the target of NKVD snipers, the real kind.  Uruguay is lacking the "guy who gets goals for his national team" that doesn't have an amazing record for his club or clubs.  Germany had just such a fellow named Miroslav Klose, but he is too old now.  Uruguay used to have a guy named Diego Forlan, but he is 39 and a free agent and Uruguay didn't bring him.  So, Uruguay's prospects are poor.  Uruguay's best player is a vampire, and he bites people.  I will have the TV on tomorrow but I will have the sound off unless something dramatic occurss, because I need to spend time on work given that this week is going to be a lot of must-see football.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1000 - Group A
Saudi Arabia and Egypt are both Sunni nations.  87-90% of the world’s Muslims are Sunni, unlike Iran, which is Shia.  Saudi Arabia and Egypt share the Sinai desert as a common buffer zone, given that one is secular and the other, isn't.  When the draw was made on 1 December 2017, this game tomorrow between the two of them  looked interesting given that Islamic middle-eastern countries rarely play one another in the World Cup; but with the results in group play to this point, that is no longer the case.  Given that the result is meaningless, as a fan of Liverpool, where Mohammed Salah plays, I would prefer that he not play tomorrow.  As do Liverpool fans worldwide.  Mohammed Salah is The Messiah, and he has a gourd. Uruguay will be happy to not contest the game with Russia, lest they become the target of NKVD snipers, the real kind.  Uruguay is lacking the "guy who gets goals for his national team" that doesn't have an amazing record for his club or clubs.  Germany had just such a fellow named Miroslav Klose, but he is too old now.  Uruguay used to have a guy named Diego Forlan, but he is 39 and a free agent and Uruguay didn't bring him.  So, Uruguay's prospects are poor.  Uruguay's best player is a vampire, and he bites people.  I will have the TV on tomorrow but I will have the sound off unless something dramatic occurss, because I need to spend time on work given that this week is going to be a lot of must-see football.

Translation: "It's a trap!"

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1000 - Group A

I've always wondered what the beef between those two were.  Thanks.

If Portugal and Spain win by identical scorelines, all tie breakers would be even until fair play.  Portugal so far has two yellow cards to Spain's one.  

If teams remain tied through all the above tiebreakers, it’s time to look at their disciplinary records in the tournament: A yellow card takes one point off your total, an indirect red (the result of being shown a second yellow card) is three points off, a straight red is four points off, and if you get a yellow and a direct red it’s worth five points off your total. The team with the highest total points remaining is the one that advances.

If fair play ends up tied, they'll draw lots for the group.

Just showed the Iranian fans "making a ruckus" outside of the Portugal team's hotel last night... And then poor Cristiano coming to the window and saying he needs to sleep.

Ha. We'll see if maybe a hair is out of place later this morning after losing some beauty sleep.