wc day 12 :: the shia did this

Hagbard Celine

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

Ronaldo’s contact looked like a run of the mill foul to me and hardly even deserving of a yellow.

I am pretty sure watching that, Ronaldo SWUNG at the Iranian, he just happened to miss main contact and barely touched him.  and then he shoved him.

all of this was well away from the ball, which by rule is a red card

• Like 1

that was fucking INSANE stoppage time,  both games at the same moment had VAR going on

Spain gets a goal ruled offside overturned as onside, and ties the game, and Portugal has an unnatural hand position handball called bringing up a penalty.

both games tie as a result, and now Portugal has to play the vampire and Spain has to avoid the real Russian snipers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Also, the Iran-Portugal game is where VAR is shown its limits. Pretty poor use of it towards the end of the game. Flipside is that Spain deservedly got a goal that would have been ruled out. 

Well VAR still worked because the penalty was weak but based on the rule it was one. Just like Dez Bryant catch by rule it was not a catch but the rule was stupid. On hand balls now that they can be reviewed they have to give the ref more guidance as to intent or weather it really changed the outcome of what could have happened.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Crazy ending.  I didn't have a rooting interest going in, but thought Iran had a few crucial calls go against them   The handball penalty at the end kind of made up for it.  And they did have a chance to win it...just missed.

British commentators and post game group were showing their favoritism toward the end, I thought.  The post game group was irate that Portugal/Ronaldo almost got left out.   

Iran and Morocco both put good teams/sides on the field.   Not as much talent gap as I thought there'd be between those four teams.

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well VAR still worked because the penalty was weak but based on the rule it was one. Just like Dez Bryant catch by rule it was not a catch but the rule was stupid. On hand balls now that they can be reviewed they have to give the ref more guidance as to intent.

It's not a penalty by the rule. From page 102:

Handling the ball Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

Based on the first and second criteria, it's not a handball as it was ball to hand and it was unexpected. The arm wasn't in an unnatural position either. 

21 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It's not a penalty by the rule. From page 102:

Based on the first and second criteria, it's not a handball as it was ball to hand and it was unexpected. The arm wasn't in an unnatural position either. 

Can't disagree with you now that you posted the rule. It was always explained to me to keep hands close to the body in the penalty area because flailing arms could cause a penalty since it can be viewed as trying to widen one's defense. So it is a referee mistake. These referees need to understand that just because it goes to VAR does not mean the original call has to be reversed. Usually if the hands are kept below the waist even if they are wide and not next to the body and the ball goes to the hand then handball is not called. Once you go above the waist and way wide one is probably going to get called on it.

54 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Can't disagree with you now that you posted the rule. It was always explained to me to keep hands close to the body in the penalty area because flailing arms could cause a penalty since it can be viewed as trying to widen one's defense. So it is a referee mistake. These referees need to understand that just because it goes to VAR does not mean the original call has to be reversed. Usually if the hands are kept below the waist even if they are wide and not next to the body and the ball goes to the hand then handball is not called. Once you go above the waist and way wide one is probably going to get called on it.

Regardless of what is written, the general rule of thumb is: if the defending side benefited from handling the ball in the box, it merits a PK.

Doubtful the defender meant to handle the ball, but his arm was raised high and away from his body, and the contact was definitely an advantage, so it seemed like a legit decision to me.

In contrast, Ronaldo attempted a direct free kick earlier in the match that deflected off a defender's hand and out of bounds. The ref awarded a corner kick rather than a penalty, however, because the defender's hands were at his sides and the ball would've hit his body had his hand not been there.