Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So apparently someone compiled data/evidence showing that 247Sports is dropping recruits' rankings as soon as they commit to Maryland. Likely deliberately. And it's quite a compelling case.

Not sure why the thread is titled "Lance Legrende". 247 dropped him before he committed to Maryland and was a FSU lean. 

That makes me question the evidence from the start. There were even FSU fans bitching on their board about the drop from what I remember. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So apparently someone compiled data/evidence showing that 247Sports is dropping recruits' rankings as soon as they commit to Maryland. Likely deliberately. And it's quite a compelling case.

Pretty sure this is for 2019 recruits, yes? Looks like Barton Simmons refuted it: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Board/67/Contents/Jeff-Lance-LeGendre-128850067/

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure why the thread is titled "Lance Legrende". 247 dropped him before he committed to Maryland and was a FSU lean. 

That makes me question the evidence from the start. 

LeGendre committed to Maryland on Feb. 6th. On Feb. 7th, he fell 186 spots in 247Sports' own rankings (not the composite).

Looks like it checks out.

Simmons: 

"That date doesn't signify that the move was made today. If you notice on Legendre's page there are periodic dates that don't necessarily annotate dates that a ranking change took place. The date posted indicates a change was made since the previous posted date. So the slight ranting adjustment for Legendre took place between the dates of 2/7/2019 and 1/31/2019. If you look at Dino Tomlin's profile, his ranking was bumped up 186 spots on "2/7/2019" however that doesn't mean we bumped Dino Tomlin today, it just means we bumped him since the last posted date on his profile."

I'm too lazy to find it but I'm pretty sure Simmons even posted on the FSU boards that Legrende was going to get dropped in the rankings.  

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Simmons: 

"That date doesn't signify that the move was made today. If you notice on Legendre's page there are periodic dates that don't necessarily annotate dates that a ranking change took place. The date posted indicates a change was made since the previous posted date. So the slight ranting adjustment for Legendre took place between the dates of 2/7/2019 and 1/31/2019. If you look at Dino Tomlin's profile, his ranking was bumped up 186 spots on "2/7/2019" however that doesn't mean we bumped Dino Tomlin today, it just means we bumped him since the last posted date on his profile."

I'm too lazy to find it but I'm pretty sure Simmons even posted on the FSU boards that Legrende was going to get dropped in the rankings.  

That makes sense. Guess it was an unfortunate coincidence.

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I have to say I’m glad Mack is back in CFB. I think he would only come back if the fire was really lit again. I’ll be pulling for UNC. Neg away. 

I dislike Mack for a lot of reasons, but I like Mack far away at another program. He did well here, but he never used Texas the way it should have, and he got himself shown the door while acting like a bitch. With that said, he's a solid coach, and I'm curious to see if he can pull UNC out of the graveyard. If he's motivate, he'll get them 8-9 wins. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

6 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I have to say I’m glad Mack is back in CFB. I think he would only come back if the fire was really lit again. I’ll be pulling for UNC. Neg away. 

I'll be pulling for him to choke like a bitch when the going gets tough...

...just like he did whenever he stuck his nose in shit in Austin (or in Dallas).

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I dislike Mack for a lot of reasons, but I like Mack far away at another program. He did well here, but he never used Texas the way it should have, and he got himself shown the door while acting like a bitch. With that said, he's a solid coach, and I'm curious to see if he can pull UNC out of the graveyard. If he's motivate, he'll get them 8-9 wins. 

"Solid Coach"... WTF??

He was a solid recruiter, until he wasn't. He out-talented other teams, but I don't ever remember him out-coaching ANYONE.

He was a shitty coach and that should prove out again unless his new assistants are better than GDGD & Friends and he sits back and lets them control things. If there's one thing that you do NOT want Mack Brown to do is actually coach the team that he is the head coach for.

If UNC plays well out of the gate, it's because Mack has decided to be a Hands Off/GM of a Head Coach and has decided to leave the game prep and the game day decisions to his staff.

• Like 2

I think time will prove that Mack never should have left the comfort of "Coach Emeritus" at the University of Texas, doing his commercials for Texas and glad-handing the money folks.

Mack's coaching days are behind him. He "burned out" (his words) at Texas while he still had talent to put on the field. But now he's going to rebuild an historically poor UNC when he's in his 60s?

Rebuilding takes a ton of energy. ideally, you do not want a guy in his 60s to be tasked with that job. Guys in their 60s are going to be low energy guys.

Maybe UNC will keep Mack around if he fails, of which I think the odds are high. More likely, Mack will eventually be consigned to private citizen to "while away" his end days watching mediocre "Baby Blue" football from his TV when Texas would have found something for him to do until the very end.

One thing about the University of Texas - we take care of our own.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, 247 seems like it auto-generated things based on scraping the Rivals site. This appears to be a 100% Rivals issue.

Seems lazy of them though. If you're going to take info from other websites you should at least vet it first on your own terms, instead of relying on them to be 100% correct all the time.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Seems lazy of them though. If you're going to take info from other websites you should at least vet it first on your own terms, instead of relying on them to be 100% correct all the time.

Totally disagree. If all they were doing was essentially reporting the information that Rivals had, then what's the issue? If they had linked that profile with an original profile and rating of this kid on their own site then there's a problem.

The statement from Woody Wommack (Rivals' recruiting analyst for the Southeast region) is pretty funny.

Hey guys, I haven’t read all the responses here but this is obviously and unusual situation. The “kid” was on twitter claiming offers that didn’t exist and was given a 5.5 rating based on those early offers as a placeholder until we could see him in person or his film (which turned out to be non-existent) was updated. Several non-Rivals sites even wrote articles on him receiving the offers and he was in the News-Sentinel as a Top 10 recruit in the area. We also had info in the database on him including a cell phone number and an email. It’s not the first time a kid has made up offers and it won’t be the last.

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Dude, thats not how Internet or Data in general works. We scrape shit from other websites on a regular basis at my company, and the reason is because you dont have an army of analysts to verify everything and cross check by hand. In most other basic aspects of life you have to trust other people to do their jobs to a certain degree.  Should every profile at 247 get someone calling Rivals to confirm times a kid ran at a Rivals camp? Would Rivals even answer them? Your take isnt realistic. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, satyanash said:

I agree.

Would think that if you are going to put out any info on someone,   for whatever reason,  you should at least know that they did indeed exist.

9 hours ago, satyanash said:

Liucci of course uses this to further his persecution narrative.

image.png

That's a lot of butt hurt over something that is "****" and doesn't matter....

At least they are helping recruits believe that they should consider visiting Texas as it will likely up their ranking. I for one appreciate their help getting top recruits on our campus.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dude, thats not how Internet or Data in general works. We scrape shit from other websites on a regular basis at my company, and the reason is because you dont have an army of analysts to verify everything and cross check by hand. In most other basic aspects of life you have to trust other people to do their jobs to a certain degree.  Should every profile at 247 get someone calling Rivals to confirm times a kid ran at a Rivals camp? Would Rivals even answer them? Your take isnt realistic. 

It doesn't bother me that much in this case, but they could have an army (or just 10 people) who could verify things and check them in a relatively reasonable time frame. However Bobby and Shannon and whatever yahoos run Rivals don't want to take less money to hire people to generate a better product. 

Edited by rickyspub

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

It doesn't bother me that much in this case, but they could have an army (or just 10 people) who could verify things and check them in a relatively reasonable time frame. However Bobby and Shannon and whatever yahoos run Rivals don't want to take less money to hire people to generate a better product. 

I mean, Yahoo does literally run Rivals, so...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Just so we we're clear, Rivals fucked up. That's not in question. Profiles get created in 2 manners: someone manually creates them or they are scraped. If it's a manual creation, that person needs to have their shit together and fact check things. Rivals didn't. They're morons. But 247 just running a scrape and having a new profile pop up is different. If I get on a bus or in an uber, I'm not asking the driver every time if I can see their driver's license. I just assume the guys employing them did their due diligence. It's also the same reason you don't see industry analysts calling Alabama coaches to confirm every "offer" they send out. They just listen to the kid more times than not. 

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I agree.

Would think that if you are going to put out any info on someone,   for whatever reason,  you should at least know that they did indeed exist.

Lulz what the fuck are you guys talking about? The composite is literally advertised as an average of the three sites’ ratings. It’s an aggregation if ratings, plain and simple and it’s not promoted by 247 as anything other than that.

They’re not putting any info on their own behalf out by aggregating other sites data and generating a composite score for him. 

Anyone who thinks that 247 did anything just doesn’t understand the composite.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone who thinks that 247 did anything just doesn’t understand the composite.

I understand the composite.  

I also understand that if anyone publishes a composite of someone that doesn't exist,  whether it was scraped from another source or not,   you have a meaningless composite.  

• Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I also understand that if anyone publishes a composite of someone that doesn't exist,  whether it was scraped from another source or not,   you have a meaningless composite. 

Yeah, guys!  Everyone knows that anything that could potentially have a flaw in it is necessarily valueless!

Surly logical fallacies are on point today.

18 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I understand the composite.  

It only reflects that a player is rated by at least one of the three services that comprise the composite. In this case, one of the three rated him, so he correctly appeared in the composite.

This isn't hard to understand at all. Some of you are just incredibly dense.