Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

McClellan refused to let them recruit him, it was part of his grand screwjob of their RB recruiting. They'd be coming in way late, now, and after all this they're probably just fine with McGowan.

I was referencing their rich heritage of wooing screwballs and shitheads, it goes at least as far back as the Bud Wilkinson days.  Looney, Vessels, Washington, Clark, Thompson, Mixon, et al.

Mississippi State Made Last-Second Change, So Incoming Signees Should Be Offered Same Luxury

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/03/mississippi-state-incoming-signees-nli-joe-moorhead-firing 

PAT FORDE     9 HOURS AGO

Way back when, on Dec. 18, 2019, Joe Moorhead conducted video conference calls with all 22 Mississippi State football signees. Right next to him was the Egg Bowl trophy, spoils of victory in the annual rivalry game with Mississippi. Winning that game helped the embattled Moorhead keep his job, which in turn allowed State to keep a national top-25 recruiting class intact.

Sixteen days, one fight, one upset bowl loss and one abrupt administrative about-face later, the school dragged Moorhead’s yankee ass out of Starkville. And if Mississippi State has a shred of conscience, it will offer all those new recruits a release from their signed National Letters of Intent.

The players didn’t sign up for this.

In a sport full of bait-and-switch recruiting tactics, signing almost an entire class and then firing the head coach is about as sketchy as it gets. It certainly belongs in the same scam-artist sentence as what Mississippi did with its recruiting class of 2016, misleading prospects regarding the details of an NCAA Notice of Allegations shortly before signing day.  Several players from that Ole Miss recruiting class successfully appealed for immediate eligibility as transfers, citing the school’s duplicity. Unless Mississippi State wants to avoid a similar PR beating, it should do the right thing now before being forced to later — release any and every new signee who requests it.

That is especially and urgently the case for the handful of early enrollees who are likely arriving on campus in Starkville this weekend. Spring semester classes start Monday. Can you imagine enrolling with no idea who your coach will be?  Those players deserve the chance to make the same, last-second change of heart that the school made with Moorhead.  For those who aren’t enrolling early, the fair thing would be to give the new coach—whoever he is, and whenever he’s hired—a chance to meet and retain the 2020 signees. But if they want out of their letters after hearing the new guy’s pitch, neither the school nor the NCAA should stand in their way.

3 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I think this just means they don't expect him to qualify and don't want to waste the scholarship. If he qualifies, I'd bet they'll let him sign on the second go around.

Nope. He signed and sent the LOI in, and before they submitted it, they’d heard that he was still talking to A&M and LSU, and decided to pass on him. He called Kirby and tried to get back in the class, but was told to kick rocks. Doesn’t have to do with grades; he would have almost certainly qualified for the fall. 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Nope. He signed and sent the LOI in, and before they submitted it, they’d heard that he was still talking to A&M and LSU, and decided to pass on him. He called Kirby and tried to get back in the class, but was told to kick rocks. Doesn’t have to do with grades; he would have almost certainly qualified for the fall. 

Supposedly was going to be an early enrollee...if anyone says this is happening besides personality/attitude reasons they are full of shit

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Now Georgia mods are saying Burton’s report is false and that he’ll end up at Georgia. We’ll see 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Now Georgia mods are saying Burton’s report is false and that he’ll end up at Georgia. We’ll see 

I struggle to believe that after all the other shit Evans pulled, him talking to A&M and LSU after he signed would be enough for UGA to pull his offer. I’d bet he ends up with UGA, but who knows? He has plenty of time to do about ten more colossally stupid things between now and NSD2. 

Correction: UGa has submitted Evans’ paperwork to the NCAA per two 247Sports sources. As a reminder, LOI’s bind a player to the school, not the school to the player. And he has signed with UGa.
7:03 AM · Jan 4, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Edited by ClubWhatever

UGA mod Mansell via @Longhornfrenzy

Spoiler

Rusty Mansell
STAFF
Posted on 3 hrs, V I P, User Since 169 months

-Did confirm with multiple sources in the last 24 hours that the school that Zachary Evans signed with turned in his LOI. I do believe that is Georgia if you are asking me.

Can he get out of an LOI? Yes he could but the deal is here is team he signed with holds all the leverage for the time being. So there is two ways to look at this.

Is the school (Georgia as a example here) deciding what to do here? Maybe they are trying to do their due dilgence on the situation on the state championship weekend or something else? I am just thinking out loud here. The kid apologized to some coach, for something on TV at Under Armour. He confirmed he talked with Kirby Smart a few days earlier.

You can guarantee here that he may not be talking to other schools (I would bet a large amount he is however), but someone close to him can be and that part is how you get around all of this. Almost like a coach saying he has not talk to a school when a job is open, but his agent has been. Different ways to handle that loophole.

Evans could simply be asking out of LOI (If Georgia). If that is scenerio is true, I could see that part as well.

Regardless, there is something going on behind the scenes one way or another , there is a hang up on why this is not over.

My guess is he does not end up in Athens is my gut feeling. I would say LSU or Texas AM if I had to pick one with my job depending on it.

See what happens one way or another

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UGA mod Mansell via @Longhornfrenzy

Hide contents

Rusty Mansell
STAFF
Posted on 3 hrs, V I P, User Since 169 months

-Did confirm with multiple sources in the last 24 hours that the school that Zachary Evans signed with turned in his LOI. I do believe that is Georgia if you are asking me.

Can he get out of an LOI? Yes he could but the deal is here is team he signed with holds all the leverage for the time being. So there is two ways to look at this.

Is the school (Georgia as a example here) deciding what to do here? Maybe they are trying to do their due dilgence on the situation on the state championship weekend or something else? I am just thinking out loud here. The kid apologized to some coach, for something on TV at Under Armour. He confirmed he talked with Kirby Smart a few days earlier.

You can guarantee here that he may not be talking to other schools (I would bet a large amount he is however), but someone close to him can be and that part is how you get around all of this. Almost like a coach saying he has not talk to a school when a job is open, but his agent has been. Different ways to handle that loophole.

Evans could simply be asking out of LOI (If Georgia). If that is scenerio is true, I could see that part as well.

Regardless, there is something going on behind the scenes one way or another , there is a hang up on why this is not over.

My guess is he does not end up in Athens is my gut feeling. I would say LSU or Texas AM if I had to pick one with my job depending on it.

See what happens one way or another

The only thing that told me is that this dude has absolutely no idea what's going on. More hedging than a garden labyrnith. 

I knew USC recruiting was hurting, but when you take a look at the teams that have commits higher ranked in California than them right now (Bryant is CB'd to them), it's unbelievable:

• Oregon
  • Alabama
  • Clemson
  • Georgia
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • ASU
  • Ohio State
  • Stanford
  • Oklahoma State(!)
  • Michigan

How in the world can USC recruit that bad? 

No way SMU keeps him from Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Ol' Miss and the rest of the $EC.  Although SMU is the ideal match, along with playing with his brother, if he wants to play for all the marbles and up his stock for the NFL, he'll go with Bama or Clemson.  He'd be a nightmare in both systems.  

Furk--wrong thread.  Should be 2021.

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

No way SMU keeps him from Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Ol' Miss and the rest of the $EC.  Although SMU is the ideal match, along with playing with his brother, if he wants to play for all the marbles and up his stock for the NFL, he'll go with Bama or Clemson.  He'd be a nightmare in both systems.  

Furk--wrong thread.  Should be 2021.

You do realize Preston is not being recruited by any of those schools right? Hence why he committed to SMU. Maybe Ole Miss might come now because of Kiffin 

Just now, Neonmoon said:

You do realize Preston is not being recruited by any of those schools right? Hence why he committed to SMU. Maybe Ole Miss might come now because of Kiffin 

No shit. And on the other spectrum, if Garrett Gilbert can make his way to the NFL via SMU, stone can beat up on midgets happily for a few years and probably find his way Pro as well, and it suits his mentality. 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with his commitment. Wouldn’t shock me to see one of the lesser SEC like Ole Miss or Missouri take a shot with him. Or maybe aggy takes a look at Stowers throwing motion and take him

Edited by RGBIII

57 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It's not like he's maxed out.  He still has a season of high school ahead of him.  I've also watched $EC teams win it all with a whole lot less under center as well as teams like LSU take meh of late. Granted, few can match up with a Haynes King.  But yeah, Bama was definitely an over reaction on my part.  

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

It seems that Gibbs is trending towards staying at Georgia Tech, and LSU is trending towards Tre Bradford 

I don't think TH takes a RB in the end, and I don't think he needs to either. OL/LB/CB and we will be fine.

Nahlin projected Cosmi-Angilau-Kerstetter-Okafor-Jones to start next season, and while I don't want to piss off the OL room, we should be looking for quality tackle depth in the event Christian Jones isn't the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't think TH takes a RB in the end, and I don't think he needs to either. OL/LB/CB and we will be fine.

Nahlin projected Cosmi-Angilau-Kerstetter-Okafor-Jones to start next season, and while I don't want to piss off the OL room, we should be looking for quality tackle depth in the event Christian Jones isn't the guy. 

I think you take two RBs in either 2020 or 2021

A grad transfer center would work too, to bump Kerstetter out to tackle 

Just now, Fud said:

I think you take two RBs in either 2020 or 2021

A grad transfer center would work too, to bump Kerstetter out to tackle 

Two in '21, Texas kids. That helps with the total class, especially if you can lock down one of Johnson or Campbell in the spring. Then you can work on best available through the season, Camar or otherwise. 

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Part of the draw for Robinson was supposed to be going home to Jersey if Rhule took the Giants job. We'll see how it shakes out.

The most interesting part in all of this, at least to me, is just how many of his Baylor/Temple assistants he brings with.  Do the guys like Phil Snow, who followed Rhule from Temple to Baylor, get NFL jobs?

#FreeFrankOkam

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The most interesting part in all of this, at least to me, is just how many of his Baylor/Temple assistants he brings with.  Do the guys like Phil Snow, who followed Rhule from Temple to Baylor, get NFL jobs?

#FreeFrankOkam

Snow’s An ex-NFL coach whose been with him for 8 years and is a huge reason why he got the Baylor job and now this one. I’d be shocked if Phil Snow isn’t going with him.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's official

I was told he valued Jimbo's relationship more than his NLI to Georgia despite his television plea for Georgia and not Jimbo to accept his signature.  Aggy win.  

Edited by Mdhorn