Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

Oof.

(Yancy Porter) One Door Closed; Another opens for Detraveon Brown

Detraveon Brown out of Houston, Texas., knows how crazy football recruiting can be. Today he got a first dose. "Coach (Derrick) Nix (from Ole Miss) told me today that they flipped a receiver," Brown said. "He told me they didn't have anymore room for me." The news was obviously disappointing for Brown. He visited the Oxford campus this past weekend and was set to be a Rebel. "It's a crazy business. I told coach Nix that I still love Ole Miss. He told me that they just flipped a receiver. It's the way it is in this business. I don't hold any hard feelings."

But as soon as one door closes another opens. "UTSA offered me today. I have a lot of friends who go there. I'm looking at them hard now. Houston and Kentucky are still in it too, but I'm feeling UTSA right now. It's just a blessing to have a chance to stay close to home." Brown set a school record 20 receiving touchdowns his senior season.

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mossy Cade and Jeff Leiding, two familiar names on one of the first ever nationwide recruiting rankings lists from the '70s. Thought this was a cool find.

CSB...Wayne Peace’s now wife Melanie used to babysit me.  Somewhere my parents have a picture of the two of them with Chris Collinsworth holding me.  Circa 1983

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Interesting situation with 5-star DE Jordan Burch. His mother, who was paid off by LSU, is not letting him send his signed NLI in to South Carolina.

Once he didn't sign with them on NSD1, given the mom situation, Cocks fans knew they were about to get proper fucked.

I don't understand a ranking system that has Georgia rated above Alabama when they both have the same number of total commitments, the same number of 5 star players, but Alabama has two more four star players, and Alabama's average recruit score is higher than Georgia's. The mean of the five star players is relatively the same, although the median favors Georgia a little more. Still, shit don't make sense 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don't understand a ranking system that has Georgia rated above Alabama when they both have the same number of total commitments, the same number of 5 star players, but Alabama has two more four star players, and Alabama's average recruit score is higher than Georgia's. The mean of the five star players is relatively the same, although the median favors Georgia a little more. Still, shit don't make sense 

Yeah, I had the same reaction. I assume it's because 'Bama loaded up with high caliber talent at one specific position, and apparently subsequent point totals get dinged. I think. Ask Fud or Huckleberry. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I had the same reaction. I assume it's because 'Bama loaded up with high caliber talent at one specific position, and apparently subsequent point totals get dinged. I think. Ask Fud or Huckleberry. 

I think that a team gets extra points for landing the top player at the position? Either way, seems like Bama's is a more highly rated class by more metrics. 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

but the kids love clay helton (also fucking yikes, VaTech - Fuente really should have jumped ship)

I really like the work that Banner Society is doing. I'm sure they'll partner with James Hale or something and cause me to move on from following them at some point because, hey, that's the trend for me in sports these days, but until then, I dig their work.

Thoughts from reading this article and thinking about the sport and recruiting in general

-Michigan State should hire Fickell. He's recruiting above his level at Cincinnati. He was a disappointment in his interim HC role at Ohio State, but he was young and that was a weird circumstance. He's built a solid program at Cincinnati and he's recruiting like a middle of the road P5 program. He's a non-basketball smuggling Gary Patterson of the north. 

-I wonder if Hugh Freeze is cheating with impunity at Liberty?

-Georgia Tech might actually develop a heartbeat again. Paul Johnson was a schematic witch, but he buried that program's ability to recruit in the middle of the most talent-rich region of the country. It was always something I viewed as stupid, and I realize that they have higher academic standards and only 1 female to every 4 males on campus. Still, they should be a highly competitive team in the ACC and regularly getting guys that schools like Clemson, Florida, Georgia and Virginia would also want. I'm not talking about the typical dumbasses that are being paid to go to Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and LSU. I'm talking about those that give a shit about academics every year and have parents giving them good advice about their future. 

-Despite Purdue looking like shit in 2019, I do think Brohm is building a strong and talented roster. 

-Fleck at Minnesota continues to recruit above the standard fighting weight for the golden gophers. I know folks like to mock him, but he continues to prove himself out as one of the up and coming stars in the profession. I would take him over Matt Campbell, Tom Herman, Klieman, Wells, Miles, Gundy, Brown, Aranda, and Patterson right now.

-To the prior point's topic - The Big 10 has a stellar roster of mostly young and talented head coaches. That will translate in the next decade on the field and in the CFP. There's Lovie Smith (61), Greg Schiano (53), Kirk Ferentz (64), Mike Locksley (50) (also a fucktard with a solid history of failure that I don't expect to change), Tom Allen (49), Jeff Brohm (48), PJ Fleck (39), Scott Frost (45), Jim Harbaugh (56), Ryan Day (40, about to be 41, also @SydneyCarton believes this guy to be a child molester fwiw), if Michigan State hires Luke Fickell (46), James Franklin (48), Paul Chryst (54), and Pat Fitzgerald (45). 8 (probably) guys under 50. There is one guy on that list that someone can credibly argue is on the hot seat - Lovie Smith. Barring scandal or illness, every other coach on this list and whoever MSU hires will be around for at least another 3 years. That's a lot of stability and further program-building. 

-Now consider the recent and ongoing turmoil in the Pac 12. CU, Wazzou and WU have all replaced coaches within the last 14 months. The Big 10 actually has 5 programs fitting this as well, but contrast the hires. Edwards, Cristobal, Sumlin, Kelly, and Jonathan Smith have all only been at their schools for 2 seasons. Wilcox is one of the more tenured coaches with a 3 year run at Cal. Helton is a dead man walking. Shaw's reign at Stanford doesn't have a positive outlook and they'll wait way too long to replace him if he continues to falter. Whittingham at Utah is fine. Overall, it is a very grim lot in terms of performance, experience, talent, and prospects. Cristobal is an imbecile and a dirty fucking shithead, but he could very well run roughshod over the conference for the next decade. It's a very bad situation when the hopes of someone else rivaling a fucktard like west coach Orgeron reside in the hands of Herman fucking Edwards and whoever USC does or does not manage to fuck up hiring. 

-Not a strong transition class at FSU by their standards.

• Like 3

Also, reading that article the first thing that popped into my mind was that Hugh Freeze has to be cheating like a complete motherfucker at Liberty. Like the college is paying for cars and apartments and cutting players check for petty cash and hiding behind private school accounting to do it, because who gives a fuck?

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, reading that article the first thing that popped into my mind was that Hugh Freeze has to be cheating like a complete motherfucker at Liberty. Like the college is paying for cars and apartments and cutting players check for petty cash and hiding behind private school accounting to do it, because who gives a fuck?

Look who their AD is.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Interesting situation with 5-star DE Jordan Burch. His mother, who was paid off by LSU, is not letting him send his signed NLI in to South Carolina.

Chris Childers tried to get Muschamp to talk about his recruitment on XM and you could almost hear the vein in his forehead pop out when he said "I cannot comment on that."  Childers had no idea he hadn't signed yet.  

Edited by Noah Fence
speling is hard

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

UGAMC + better bagmen = higher rankings. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I really like the work that Banner Society is doing. I'm sure they'll partner with James Hale or something and cause me to move on from following them at some point because, hey, that's the trend for me in sports these days, but until then, I dig their work.

Thoughts from reading this article and thinking about the sport and recruiting in general

-Michigan State should hire Fickell. He's recruiting above his level at Cincinnati. He was a disappointment in his interim HC role at Ohio State, but he was young and that was a weird circumstance. He's built a solid program at Cincinnati and he's recruiting like a middle of the road P5 program. He's a non-basketball smuggling Gary Patterson of the north. 

-I wonder if Hugh Freeze is cheating with impunity at Liberty?

-Georgia Tech might actually develop a heartbeat again. Paul Johnson was a schematic witch, but he buried that program's ability to recruit in the middle of the most talent-rich region of the country. It was always something I viewed as stupid, and I realize that they have higher academic standards and only 1 female to every 4 males on campus. Still, they should be a highly competitive team in the ACC and regularly getting guys that schools like Clemson, Florida, Georgia and Virginia would also want. I'm not talking about the typical dumbasses that are being paid to go to Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and LSU. I'm talking about those that give a shit about academics every year and have parents giving them good advice about their future. 

-Despite Purdue looking like shit in 2019, I do think Brohm is building a strong and talented roster. 

-Fleck at Minnesota continues to recruit above the standard fighting weight for the golden gophers. I know folks like to mock him, but he continues to prove himself out as one of the up and coming stars in the profession. I would take him over Matt Campbell, Tom Herman, Klieman, Wells, Miles, Gundy, Brown, Aranda, and Patterson right now.

-To the prior point's topic - The Big 10 has a stellar roster of mostly young and talented head coaches. That will translate in the next decade on the field and in the CFP. There's Lovie Smith (61), Greg Schiano (53), Kirk Ferentz (64), Mike Locksley (50) (also a fucktard with a solid history of failure that I don't expect to change), Tom Allen (49), Jeff Brohm (48), PJ Fleck (39), Scott Frost (45), Jim Harbaugh (56), Ryan Day (40, about to be 41, also @SydneyCarton believes this guy to be a child molester fwiw), if Michigan State hires Luke Fickell (46), James Franklin (48), Paul Chryst (54), and Pat Fitzgerald (45). 8 (probably) guys under 50. There is one guy on that list that someone can credibly argue is on the hot seat - Lovie Smith. Barring scandal or illness, every other coach on this list and whoever MSU hires will be around for at least another 3 years. That's a lot of stability and further program-building. 

-Now consider the recent and ongoing turmoil in the Pac 12. CU, Wazzou and WU have all replaced coaches within the last 14 months. The Big 10 actually has 5 programs fitting this as well, but contrast the hires. Edwards, Cristobal, Sumlin, Kelly, and Jonathan Smith have all only been at their schools for 2 seasons. Wilcox is one of the more tenured coaches with a 3 year run at Cal. Helton is a dead man walking. Shaw's reign at Stanford doesn't have a positive outlook and they'll wait way too long to replace him if he continues to falter. Whittingham at Utah is fine. Overall, it is a very grim lot in terms of performance, experience, talent, and prospects. Cristobal is an imbecile and a dirty fucking shithead, but he could very well run roughshod over the conference for the next decade. It's a very bad situation when the hopes of someone else rivaling a fucktard like west coach Orgeron reside in the hands of Herman fucking Edwards and whoever USC does or does not manage to fuck up hiring. 

-Not a strong transition class at FSU by their standards.

I agree on Fickell wholeheartedly; MSU needs to do whatever it takes to get him. I think it's still too early to tell if Geoff Collins is actually a good coach, but the potential for GT is certainly there. I really like Fleck too, and it'll be interesting to see what they do this year. 

As for the B1G as a whole, there are tons of interesting storylines. Can James Franklin take Penn State to the next level? Will anyone in the West unseat Wisconsin as the best program on that side? Can Schiano rebuild from the ash left by Ash? I'm biased, but I trust Schiano to slowly build up RU football again. 

The Pac 12 is a strange conference, and it's tough to tell which teams will be the main challengers to Oregon in a few years. I think Mel Tucker at CU is a great fit, and I think they could give A&M a scare in 2021 in Boulder. It's tough to project UW because while Jimmy Lake is a defensive mastermind, he made a terrible OC hire in John Donovan. 

(Scipio Tex) 2020 Recruiting Losers: USC, FSU, Baylor, Arizona

There were some schools - nationally and in the Big 12 - who brought bullshido to a MMA fight with respect to 2020 recruiting. Let's look at some of the more notable beatdowns...

USC (13 commits, 87.49 class average)

The Trojans signed a 13 man class, good for 55th in the country, and 10th in the Pac 12. That's unprecedentedly bad. This wasn't a small class by choice. USC simply couldn't fill their quota without taking terrible reaches - which is pretty remarkable for a program that has massive natural advantages. So lucky 13 it is. The Trojans signed only one player rated over 90 in the 24-7 composite system. They're low on numbers, low on talent, and low in confidence for head coach Clay Helton. While USC's program still has plenty of top line talent, the 2020 recruiting disaster comes on the heels of a disappointing 2019 class that ranked 20th nationally despite 24 signees. The 2019/2020 combo is light on both numbers and typical Trojan talent. This is a program that ranked 2, 10, 4, 4 in national recruiting rankings between 2015-2018.

The fear for USC fans isn't just Helton's on field product. It's the program complacently filling the USC pipeline with a talent deficit bubble that's going to take a few years for the new coach to work out. It's also given a life line to Pac 12 rivals like Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Arizona State while national recruiters Georgia, Clemson, Alabama & Ohio State gobbled up the very bluest of California blue chips. As an aside, Texas should have capitalized better on this environment.

Baylor (17 commits, 85.64 class average)

Why I was so confident that Matt Rhule was going to the NFL? One of the main reasons was observing his 2020 recruiting class. The Bears salvaged some recruitments late, but still finished 54th in the nation and 9th in the Big 12 with a 17 man class. The class should have had 20-22 bodies and while the class average is on point compared to Big 12 peers, there's a qualitative difference to his prior efforts.

Yes, Rhule's previous classes were ranked substantially better (34th, 29th) but the difference in the type of athlete and upside was what distinguished them. Rhule was taking elite SPARQ athletes and then betting that he could bring out their football skill upside. Given he and his staff's pure coaching ability, that was a solid bet. The reward for a thrilling 11-3 season shouldn't have been the 54th ranked class in the nation. But that's how it goes when your head coach is looking for an exit. Dave Aranda's 2021 class will be a decisive program bellwether.

Florida State (25 commits, 87.97 class average)

Should a team that finished in the top 25 be considered a recruiting loser? Probably. You don't want to be in the Florida Panhandle with a bad coaching hire when Georgia is the new recruiting bully boy, LSU is a charismatic national title winner, Alabama is still dominant, Clemson and Ohio State love to raid Northern Florida and the state of Georgia, and in-state rivals Florida and Miami are top of mind for neutral in-state recruits. I'm also not sure I've seen a once national brand turn regional and disappear from the college football conversation more quickly.

They signed a full class of 25 recruits, but that was good for only 4th in the ACC (trailing Clemson, Miami, North Carolina) and a 22nd national ranking. A top 25 finish isn't anything to cry about in a vacuum, but when you consider that their 87.97 class average puts them behind Kentucky, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Nebraska....things could be going better in Nole country. Like the Trojans, this program is only a few years removed from a 2014-2018 run where they had nationally ranked classes that went: 4, 3, 3, 6, 11.

Arizona (18 commits, 84.44 class average)

The Wildcats have never been dominant recruiters, but 64th in the country behind Wake Forest, Duke, and three spots ahead of North Texas is not where they belong in the college football hierarchy. Particularly when the promise of Sumlin's hire was recruiting prowess (an undeserved rep bolstered by being at A&M, not in his actual ability to recruit anyone).

The top 19 ranked prospects in the state of Arizona all chose out of state schools. I will repeat that. The top 19 prospects in the state of Arizona all went somewhere out of state. In a state that now fields real viable talent, it's unthinkable that the only two major universities could come up empty. The Sun Devils shrugged and opted for national recruiting and pulled in a Top 25 class. The Wildcats didn't have a plan. They ended up with only two of the Top 30 recruits from the state and then scrambled around the country for randoms.

That's how Arizona finished dead last in the Pac 12 recruiting rankings behind talent hotbeds Oregon State and Washington State. Kevin Sumlin is proving to be as bad at recruiting as he is at winning (9-15 at Arizona, ended 2019 with a 7 game losing streak). Oh, well. Make it a desert and call it peace.

Big 12 Talent Depth

Platitudes about development, scheme, fit, and systems are great and I've mouthed a lot of them for individual Big 12 programs, but increasingly this is a talent spare league compared to the other big boys. 2020 recruiting results reconfirmed that. The talent distribution could not be more top heavy. Texas (15), Oklahoma (14), and TCU (5) combined to sign 1 five star and 33 four star recruits in 2020. The remaining seven teams in the league combined to sign 7 four star recruits and no five stars. Seven. And yes, stars do matter in broad aggregate for predicting NFL draft status.

Thoughts? Who else should be here?

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Dumping on the Noles during a transition year when they're still top 25 is a bit of cheap shot. VaTech was a much better pick in that spot. The other three, yeah, yikes.

Yeah ... in 2017, we finished with a lower ranking (#25 vs. #22 for FSU) and a lower average (87.58 vs. 87.97).  Our small class size in 2017 surely contributed to the low score and rank, but our average was lower, too.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, Noah Fence said:

Chris Childers tried to get Muschamp to talk about his recruitment on XM and you could almost hear the vein in his forehead pop out when he said "I cannot comment on that."  Childers had no idea he hadn't signed yet.  

Childers is a complete fucking moron.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, closetojumping said:

Jimmy Lake is going to do fine at Washington, especially at recruiting.