Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

i was hoping he'd end up anywhere else not aggy or anywhere on our schedule.  I have enough battered fan syndrome to see a kid who dislikes football with god given talent run for 250 on us because fatterson some how turns no names into first round talent and takes a first round talent and makes him LT.   I'm still shocked that this kid didnt end up in kansas on last chance u

IT: On Zach Evans - Nahlin

Spoiler

There I was, minding my own business in March, when I received word that Zach Evans had interest in Texas.

giphy.gif
It turns out Texas had already held internal discussions about what would happen when this predictably resurfaced.

There was in fact some interest on UT’s part, at least enough to kick the tires and have some discussions with the one-time state champion North Shore Mustang.

The situation opened my eyes a bit to Drayton as a recruiter. I think he’s definitely a formidable recruiter for the position, and Evans probably would have been wise to push to play for Drayton. He would have been the right type of mentor for Evans, and there were a few who wanted Evans to end up in Austin for that reason.

I think Texas could have had him, actually, but ran the proof from famous Greek mathematician Galfianakis and decided not to add another huge question mark to already questionable circumstances.

Last week I heard Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida, TCU, and Texas were in it. Though, at this point I only heard UT mentioned from a source outside of the region. I believe UT stopped pursuing before that but clearly word got to other schools.

Then I heard Tennessee thought they were out, and you could knock me over with a feather. They made a lot of cents as a good place for him to end up. Ole Miss too.

In the end, I’m a bit surprised by TCU. They were wise to have him enroll in online classes ASAP. For the entertainment value of it, I like it for the conference.

One day Evans is going to tell his kids he was a five-star with overtures from the famed programs of the day. Because he ended up at TCU, his kids won’t believe him.

You’re going to tell your kids, “got Bijan, don’t care.”

/fin

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reveal hidden contents

There I was, minding my own business in March, when I received word that Zach Evans had interest in Texas.

giphy.gif
It turns out Texas had already held internal discussions about what would happen when this predictably resurfaced.

There was in fact some interest on UT’s part, at least enough to kick the tires and have some discussions with the one-time state champion North Shore Mustang.

The situation opened my eyes a bit to Drayton as a recruiter. I think he’s definitely a formidable recruiter for the position, and Evans probably would have been wise to push to play for Drayton. He would have been the right type of mentor for Evans, and there were a few who wanted Evans to end up in Austin for that reason.

I think Texas could have had him, actually, but ran the proof from famous Greek mathematician Galfianakis and decided not to add another huge question mark to already questionable circumstances.

Last week I heard Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida, TCU, and Texas were in it. Though, at this point I only heard UT mentioned from a source outside of the region. I believe UT stopped pursuing before that but clearly word got to other schools.

Then I heard Tennessee thought they were out, and you could knock me over with a feather. They made a lot of cents as a good place for him to end up. Ole Miss too.

In the end, I’m a bit surprised by TCU. They were wise to have him enroll in online classes ASAP. For the entertainment value of it, I like it for the conference.

One day Evans is going to tell his kids he was a five-star with overtures from the famed programs of the day. Because he ended up at TCU, his kids won’t believe him.

/fin

Nahlin would get an A+ from fatKetch at 995 University for this post. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

giphy.gif
/fin

“They made a lot of cents...”

giphy.gif
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

i was hoping he'd end up anywhere else not aggy or anywhere on our schedule.  I have enough battered fan syndrome to see a kid who dislikes football with god given talent run for 250 on us because fatterson some how turns no names into first round talent and takes a first round talent and makes him LT.   I'm still shocked that this kid didnt end up in kansas on last chance u

Still plenty of time for that.

Never could figure this kid out. Plethora of high school team violations and suspensions, but no actual legal trouble as far as I know. Doesn’t really play or act like a showboat on the field, but he was prone to showing some poor body language & attitude. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile or be happy in any pic or interview. My guess is he just doesn’t love football very much. He’ll end up quitting the sport entirely in a couple years. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Never could figure this kid out. Plethora of high school team violations and suspensions, but no actual legal trouble as far as I know. Doesn’t really play or act like a showboat on the field, but he was prone to showing some poor body language & attitude. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile or be happy in any pic or interview. My guess is he just doesn’t love football very much. He’ll end up quitting the sport entirely in a couple years. 

He’s quit on his team multiple times and caused a ton of issues to the point that even freaking North Shore didn’t play him in some playoff games. His issues go way deeper than just doesn’t love football, though that’s a red flag with him too.

There’s a reason TCU was the best school in the country that was willing to accept a 5 star talent.

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s quit on his team multiple times and caused a ton of issues to the point that even freaking North Shore didn’t play him in some playoff games. His issues go way deeper than just doesn’t love football, though that’s a red flag with him too.

There’s a reason TCU was the best school in the country that was willing to accept a 5 star talent.

NS runs a very tight ship, not a lot of programs wouldve benched their star player for the state title game. Kind of stereotypical to assume that they don’t emphasize discipline.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

NS runs a very tight ship, not a lot of programs wouldve benched their star player for the state title game. Kind of stereotypical to assume that they don’t emphasize discipline.

My point was that they were state title favorites and they were still willing to bench him in the playoffs. He has huge question marks that go way beyond just not loving the game of football. If that was all it was, then he’d be at UGA or Bama right now. 

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Evan’s just does not love playing football.  If you don’t have some passion for playing it’s too easy to say forget this shit anytime there is any adversity.  We’ll see how it works out but I’ll be surprised if he’s still at TCU in a year.  

35 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Evan’s just does not love playing football.  If you don’t have some passion for playing it’s too easy to say forget this shit anytime there is any adversity.  We’ll see how it works out but I’ll be surprised if he’s still at TCU in a year.  

If TCU provides counseling support early on for Evans, he's got a shot to succeed at TCU.

Patterson and the offensive assistants will have to stay really involved with Zach during his first year to help him mature emotionally... 

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

"I understand having pride in what you believe, but you have to put that aside for the #1 back in the nation" buddy, I'm not sure you understand how pride in yourself works

Hide contents

EXv5O76XsAEuSjD?format=jpg&name=360x360EXv5POzWAAgfSbk?format=png&name=360x360EXv5PlgXYAEMsLe?format=png&name=360x360

I want to point out how  ridiculous the Florida message board idiots look blaming their assistant coaches for their recruiting failures. And how completely logical we look when we do the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The one thing Evans did right was deciding he wanted nothing to do with the aggy under any circumstance back in 2019. The way things unfolded with his recruitment was just bizarre, Patterson is going to have his hands full with Evans. If Patterson can keep him focused on the field and out of trouble off the field it'll be a steal for TCU, but that's easier said than done. Dirty SEC programs like Bama and LSU wrote Evans off a long time ago, from the very get go shortly before his Senior campaign Clemson checked out and said no thanks as well.

Edited by Chad

1 hour ago, Chad said:

The one thing Evans did right was deciding he wanted nothing to do with the aggy under any circumstance back in 2019. The way things unfolded with his recruitment was just bizarre, Patterson is going to have his hands full with Evans. If Patterson can keep him focused on the field and out of trouble off the field it'll be a steal for TCU, but that's easier said than done. Dirty SEC programs like Bama and LSU wrote Evans off a long time ago, from the very get go shortly before his Senior campaign Clemson checked out and said no thanks as well.

It's likely aggy said "no thanks" just like everyone else. They ended up taking 4 RBs last cycle. None nearly as talented as Evans but at some point you just get tired of all the bullshit especially for a guy with as many red flags as Evans. 

There's no chance TCU out bagmanned Georgia, A&M and Tennessee types for a recruit they wanted. TCU came out of left field. They weren't even one of the schools rumored as a landing spot until a few days ago. I'm betting TCU was one of the only schools willing to take him. 

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's likely aggy said "no thanks" just like everyone else. They ended up taking 4 RBs last cycle. None nearly as talented as Evans but at some point you just get tired of all the bullshit especially for a guy with as many red flags as Evans. 

There's no chance TCU out bagmanned Georgia, A&M and Tennessee types for a recruit they wanted. TCU came out of left field. They weren't even one of the schools rumored as a landing spot until a few days ago. I'm betting TCU was one of the only schools willing to take him. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9250739

There are a ton of data points to indicate that Evans has a lot of problems, so I’ll go ahead and double-down on my previous bad take on Evans and stick with my view that he gets it together and has a great college career before moving to the NFL.

28 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

You really think TCU won a recruiting battle against schools like Tennessee and  A&M for a 5 star talent? There's a reason TCU had never landed a 5 star recruit until today. If Tennessee and A&M wanted Evans they would have opened the bank. 

If anything, this makes how A&M handled RB even more egregious. They should have gone all in on Ngata or kicked the tires on other talented RBs like Texas did with Bijan. They prioritized Evans for way too long when it was obvious he was headcase. 

It was obvious Evans was a "drop the bag" recruitment based on his initial schools. That didn't just change all of a sudden. 

Edited by texasstrong12

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There are a ton of data points to indicate that Evans has a lot of problems, so I’ll go ahead and double-down on my previous bad take on Evans and stick with my view that he gets it together and has a great college career before moving to the NFL.

The old double-down huh??

Well as long as Texas beats Fatterson/TCU this season with or without Evans, then I'm ok with your take...

To be safe, I'm playing my UNO Reverse Card 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

They didn't say no thanks, Evans never wanted to play there and spurned them every time they made an attempt to court him. One of his brothers even said as much on twitter that he'll never play for the aggy long before Evans silently committed to UGA. The aggy ended up with three 3 star backs in their 2020 class, A JUCO, a back from Georgia and a back from Arizona. You're legitimately nuts if you believe the aggy said no thanks to Evans, they were after him hard for some time, but the interest was never mutual. It's well known that Clemson backed out early in the recruitment process and that after Evans visited Bama shortly after one of the North Shore linemen committed there not so much as a peep was heard again about Evans to Bama. If any teams said no thanks it was Bama and Clemson, definitely not the aggy.

Just now, Chad said:

They didn't say no thanks, Evans never wanted to play there and spurned them every time they made an attempt to court him. One of his brothers even said as much on twitter that he'll never play for the aggy long before Evans silently committed to UGA. The aggy ended up with three 3 star backs in their 2020 class, A JUCO, a back from Georgia and a back from Arizona. You're legitimately nuts if you believe the aggy said no thanks to Evans, they were after him hard for some time, but the interest was never mutual. It's well known that Clemson backed out early in the recruitment process and that after Evans visited Bama shortly after one of the North Shore linemen committed there not so much as a peep was heard again about Evans to Bama. If any teams said no thanks it was Bama and Clemson, definitely not the aggy.

I don't think there's a doubt aggy wanted Evans for a long period of time. Which was dumb on their part. A lot of schools wanted Evans for most of the cycle until they finally came to the realization that he was trouble. 

Evans recruitment started out with LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State in the mix. Then once they backed off it was Tennessee, A&M, and Florida. 

Evans was definitely trying to "secure the bag". There is no chance he voluntarily picked TCU. He was trying to get paid throughout the entire recruitment and now he picks a school that isn't playing the bagman game? I think it's likely all those schools told him to fuck off and it's not worth the hassle. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Evans was a disaster waiting to happen to schools like Texas, Bama, Clemson, etc because they got very talented rbs that they may have missed out on if they had pursued him.  There is no risk for TCU because they weren’t getting anyone that talented in the first place.  TCU is maybe the best case for things actually working out for Evans but I still give it a very low chance.   

7 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Best-case scenario: He clashes with coaches, gets in the doghouse quickly, and never sees the field enough to trouble us.

Worst-case scenario:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, satyanash said:

Best-case scenario: He clashes with coaches, gets in the doghouse quickly, and never sees the field enough to trouble us.

Worst-case scenario:

Why the fuck would you literally illustrate your point? Jesus Christ man, you really do get off on this stuff.

Also getting off: The TCU analysts happily eliding all of the shit that had to happen for them to sign him

30 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Evans was a disaster waiting to happen to schools like Texas, Bama, Clemson, etc because they got very talented rbs that they may have missed out on if they had pursued him.  There is no risk for TCU because they weren’t getting anyone that talented in the first place.  TCU is maybe the best case for things actually working out for Evans but I still give it a very low chance.   

Patterson seems like a weird fit. Isn't Patterson an in your face type coach? 

Those two don't seem like a good pairing to me but I don't think Evans  had much of a choice at this point. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Why the fuck would you literally illustrate your point? Jesus Christ man, you really do get off on this stuff.

Also getting off: The TCU analysts happily eliding all of the shit that had to happen for them to sign him

Clark is terrible.

I have no clue why TCU fans would pay for a subscription to be lied to like that. It's not even exaggeration to say TCU was like the 10th choice in that recruitment. 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I can’t wait to see this blow up in their faces. Shit, it has to be even money he doesn’t make it to campus 

It’s even money anyone makes it to campus in the time of the Rona. His clown act would have been a lot funnier if anyone cared anymore. 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Patterson seems like a weird fit. Isn't Patterson an in your face type coach? 

Those two don't seem like a good pairing to me but I don't think Evans  had much of a choice at this point. 

Patterson brought in his best friend, Jerry Kill, to take over the offense. I doubt he’ll have much to do with Evans. 

6 minutes ago, Apep said:

Patterson brought in his best friend, Jerry Kill, to take over the offense. I doubt he’ll have much to do with Evans. 

That entire thing is a weird set up. Kill is the "head coach of the offense" and Cumbie is the offensive coordinator?

Beyond that, can Kill even coach because of health reasons? He retired at Minnesota and then retired as the Rutgers OC because of epilepsy. This entire thing was always bizarre to me. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s even weirder than that.  They also brought back Doug Meacham, who was the play calling Co-OC (i.e., the real OC) with Cumbie when the offense had the big turnaround with Boykin, except now Meacham is just going to be the inside WR coach while Cumbie is OC and Kill is whatever he is.

I am shocked Cumbie wasn’t fired this year, so I’m assuming these are insurance moves for Patterson who might be thinking he needs people who could take over if he wants to fire Cumbie midseason.  It feels a lot like Mack having Gerg hang around in the shadows instead of just firing Diaz the year before like he should have.

Yeah, it's weird. 

Didn't Patterson run Meacham off so that Cumbie could be the play caller? From what I remember, that wasn't exactly a cordial separation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, it's weird. 

Didn't Patterson run Meacham off so that Cumbie could be the play caller? From what I remember, that wasn't exactly a cordial separation. 

yep, and they (frog insiders) were saying Meacham rubbed people the wrong way and Gary felt that Cumbie was the real OC.. so he told Meacham to look for another place.  Funny since Cumbie can't develop a QB..  And it's not like they haven't recruited any big prospects either.

**Also, wasn't Cumbie given the reigns after Charlie tried to bring him to Austin as well?**

Edited by Thiefery

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yep, and they (frog insiders) were saying Meacham rubbed people the wrong way and Gary felt that Cumbie was the real OC.. so he told Meacham to look for another place.  Funny since Cumbie can't develop a QB..  And it's not like they haven't recruited any big prospects either.

**Also, wasn't Cumbie given the reigns after Charlie tried to bring him to Austin as well?**

I believe it was before. I *think* they were co-oc and charlie fumbles the ball, and cumbie stuck around and ended up sole OC after. But I could definitely be wrong by as much as a year in either direction. Maybe 2 years in either direction. The point here is, fuck Charlie Strong and the fucking garbage pail dumpster fire he and Steve Patterson visited on this school. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe it was before. I *think* they were co-oc and charlie fumbles the ball, and cumbie stuck around and ended up sole OC after. But I could definitely be wrong by as much as a year in either direction. Maybe 2 years in either direction. The point here is, fuck Charlie Strong and the fucking garbage pail dumpster fire he and Steve Patterson visited on this school. 

So ready for HORNS to beat the crap out of TCU again...

414ka8.gif

On 5/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Helobious said:

Kid never had a dad and has 4 other brothers and sisters. His grandfather was the one he was closest with and he died 2 years ago, and supposedly left a lot of anger within him. Might be why during his peak of recruiting he never smiled or seemed happy. When he picked TCU he said he just wants his grandmother to be able to see him play. Hopefully he gets the college family he needs to succeed at life and/or football. Sometimes it all clicks and works out in the right place like with Ricky. 

• Like 1