Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

Looks like Lejond Cavazos, who transferred to IMG after not being cleared by his previous coaches after transferring from Steele to Seguine, is committing this Wednesday, thought to be between Ohio State and Georgia. Texas doesn't seem to have shown much interest. 

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

Looks like Lejond Cavazos, who transferred to IMG after not being cleared by his previous coaches after transferring from Steele to Seguine, is committing this Wednesday, thought to be between Ohio State and Georgia. Texas doesn't seem to have shown much interest. 

Isn't this the kid that has a helicopter dad from hell?

• Like 1

Yes, his dad is former Tech football player Carlos Cavazos. Never met him but know several who know him well. I've talked about it before but he's very well-known in the valley for being a recruiting huckster and nightmare for whoever is coaching his kids.  His kids have played at Mission Sharyland, SA Reagan, DeSoto, Cibolo Steele, and now IMG with his youngest. He'll move the whole family wherever the strong athletic program is. Apparently with Lejond it looked like he was unlikely to start as a sophomore at Steele which kicked off the Seguin/IMG mess. The dad & son then took to twitter to trash the Steele team and coaching staff. 

As for this particular kid I don't think he has what it takes to be a difference maker at the college level. He is a nationally ranked hurdler and should probably stick to that if he's serious about a future in athletics.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, Fud said:

Committed to Ohio State today.

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Texas Tech gets a pair of apparently solid  corners today, Alex Hogan from Houston Lamar and Brandon Joseph from College Station. Three stars with 16 power 5 offers between them.

Hogan is quite good. If we lose a CB commit late for whatever reason he'd likely be a guy we jump on.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hogan is quite good. If we lose a CB commit late for whatever reason he'd likely be a guy we jump on.

Well, pretty much anything is possible in recruiting, but my guess is, a switch to UT wouldn't be an automatic deal for him as he seems serious about having what he terms  "family" already playing for Tech in the form of Ta'Zhawn Henry and Kesean Carter.  Who knows though?

22 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Well, pretty much anything is possible in recruiting, but my guess is, a switch to UT wouldn't be an automatic deal for him as he seems serious about having what he terms  "family" already playing for Tech in the form of Ta'Zhawn Henry and Kesean Carter.  Who knows though?

Something tells me that Hollywood, Cook, and Jamison would be more than enough to sway him if we came through with an offer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tech received a 2020 QB commitment this evening.   It was Wilson Long out of Regents School in Austin.

I'm as big a critic of KK as anybody.  Not a fan.  About the only thing I trust him about is quarterbacks.  That said, this one is something of a head scratcher.  Undersized guy (listed at 6 feet tall) who's played against weak competition.

Beats me.

3 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Tech received a 2020 QB commitment this evening.   It was Wilson Long out of Regents School in Austin.

I'm as big a critic of KK as anybody.  Not a fan.  About the only thing I trust him about is quarterbacks.  That said, this one is something of a head scratcher.  Undersized guy (listed at 6 feet tall) who's played against weak competition.

Beats me.

Basically, this kid will light it up for several years and get drafted in the first round.

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bunch of picks coming in for OT Courtland Ford to LSU, including from Wiltfong.

He's huge but the hudl isn't great. He's more of a keep tabs on guy than a take a commitment during the junior season guy to me 

• 1 month later...