Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

20 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So who are the biggest cheating enemies now regardless of conference?  Alabama,  Clemson,  LSU , OU, Ohio State and then aggy?  

Add Oregon and you pretty much have it covered. 

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Laugh all you want, people who cover recruiting for a living at a national level know it to be true as a simple matter of fact. You also have a bagman that covers the program for 247. I assume you know all this and don’t give a shit, but if you’re actually going to show up after years and claim ignorance and propriety, that’s pretty fucking hilarious. 

Yeah I will laugh. I think all programs engage in extra curricular activities to a certain extent. There are some that are a lot worse, and actually go hard for the pay to play, but no, unless I see something more, I don't think Clemson is one of them. Look at how Dabo has transformed Clemson. All the shit that people parrot and take for granted these days, Clemson spear headed. Social media, developing recruits into men in addition to players, etc etc. Clemson has the second best P5 APR. Dabo recruits a certain player, not just the highest rated player. If Clemson is paying top dollar for players, then they are fucking up with 12 four stars and 15 three stars last cycle. 

A bagman who works for 247 and a church who funnels money to players? Lulz y'all sound like jackasses, so take your holier than thou bullshit and shove it. I wouldn't be surprised if any program was paying players, but there's a big difference between Oregon/Georgia and Clemson/Texas. So unless you have some good evidence/rumors then save it. I look at the players who are rumored to have their hands out, and Clemson passes on them. The Chris Steeles and Rakim Jerrets of the recruiting world express interest in Clemson and then sign elsewhere. 

• Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah I will laugh. I think all programs engage in extra curricular activities to a certain extent. There are some that are a lot worse, and actually go hard for the pay to play, but no, unless I see something more, I don't think Clemson is one of them. Look at how Dabo has transformed Clemson. All the shit that people parrot and take for granted these days, Clemson spear headed. Social media, developing recruits into men in addition to players, etc etc. Clemson has the second best P5 APR. Dabo recruits a certain player, not just the highest rated player. If Clemson is paying top dollar for players, then they are fucking up with 12 four stars and 15 three stars last cycle. 

A bagman who works for 247 and a church who funnels money to players? Lulz y'all sound like jackasses, so take your holier than thou bullshit and shove it. I wouldn't be surprised if any program was paying players, but there's a big difference between Oregon/Georgia and Clemson/Texas. So unless you have some good evidence/rumors then save it. I look at the players who are rumored to have their hands out, and Clemson passes on them. The Chris Steeles and Rakim Jerrets of the recruiting world express interest in Clemson and then sign elsewhere. 

You just moved the goalposts, albeit not very well. From "The ole church conspiracy theory, lol" to "eh, everyone cheats to some extent, don't be holier than thou". No one said Dabo doesn't identify and develop talent well. No one even specified the extent of the cheating, just a few specific methods and the "open" nature of it. You have a valid point about the players with hands out, though it doesn't negate the other points. Clemson may not be on the Oregon/ Georgia level, while still engaging in the referenced activities.

• Like 1

The criminal’s creed in these respects is the ol’ “I know everybody else is getting theirs, so I have to go out and get mine”. Right. We’re all a part of the same conspiracy. Unless we’re not. 

I don’t despise cheating the way I did when I thought the NCAA gave a shit. I helped the NCAA go after Oregon and Seastrunk. More specifically, helped Yahoo. That chastened me in the aftermath, as Cam Newton got away with taking $200k in broad daylight. So whatever, man, Clemson can be Clemson, a program that has been busted many times for infractions. Just own it. Don’t be a twat. Either get better informed or be real about the situation. Either way, fuck off with the sweet ignorance position and spare us the embarrassment of referencing Clemson in the same breath with Texas when it comes to recruiting integrity. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

You just moved the goalposts, albeit not very well. From "The ole church conspiracy theory, lol" to "eh, everyone cheats to some extent, don't be holier than thou". No one said Dabo doesn't identify and develop talent well. No one even specified the extent of the cheating, just a few specific methods and the "open" nature of it. You have a valid point about the players with hands out, though it doesn't negate the other points. Clemson may not be on the Oregon/ Georgia level, while still engaging in the referenced activities.

No, I didn't move the goalposts. I've maintained all along that it's naive to think every program isn't dirty to a certain extent. What I do think is fucking ridiculous is the baby brother (South Carolina, aggy) conspiracy theories like a church is funneling money to recruits or someone who works for 247 is a bagman for a program, jfc. To me, there's a big difference between hundred dollar handshakes and a recruit showing up out of nowhere and committing on the spot. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The criminal’s creed in these respects is the ol’ “I know everybody else is getting theirs, so I have to go out and get mine”. Right. We’re all a part of the same conspiracy. Unless we’re not. 

I don’t despise cheating the way I did when I thought the NCAA gave a shit. I helped the NCAA go after Oregon and Seastrunk. More specifically, helped Yahoo. That chastened me in the aftermath, as Cam Newton got away with taking $200k in broad daylight. So whatever, man, Clemson can be Clemson, a program that has been busted many times for infractions. Just own it. Don’t be a twat. Either get better informed or be real about the situation. Either way, fuck off with the sweet ignorance position and spare us the embarrassment of referencing Clemson in the same breath with Texas when it comes to recruiting integrity. 

Don't be a twat? I would say the same to you. I know you are more plugged in than most others, but check your holier than thou bullshit at the door. Wasn't it Chris Simms who said he got paid his whole time on the forty acres? I have no problem referencing Clemson in the same breath as Texas when it comes to recruiting integrity. Clemson has been trying to push into Texas for years now, and hasn't landed shit. This year they finally landed a big name recruit that none of the locals wanted in RJ Mickens. That's not the fucking profile of a program tossing bags around. 

Don't be a twat? I would say the same to you. I know you are more plugged in than most others, but check your holier than thou bullshit at the door. Wasn't it Chris Simms who said he got paid his whole time on the forty acres? I have no problem referencing Clemson in the same breath as Texas when it comes to recruiting integrity. Clemson has been trying to push into Texas for years now, and hasn't landed shit. This year they finally landed a big name recruit that none of the locals wanted in RJ Mickens. That's not the fucking profile of a program tossing bags around. 

Dude, you have no idea what’s going on so quit posting shit and acting like you know anything at all. You don’t.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

So who are the biggest cheating enemies now regardless of conference?  Alabama,  Clemson,  LSU , OU, Ohio State and then aggy?  

OU doesn't actually cheat that much anymore, especially relative to the south eastern schools 

Right now, the worst are Georgia, Oregon, and LSU, with Bama, A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida State not far behind

As far as I know, Clemson is more selective about who they pay, but acting like they merely cheat at the large program minimum like Texas/Michigan/Notre Dame is wrong 

Texas boosters could outspend anyone not named Stanford if they wanted to, but unfortunately they don't 

• Like 4

On 5/27/2019 at 11:16 AM, George Clooney said:

I wonder if they’ll push for Tank Bigsby soon. It’s clear Milton and Evans are their priorities, and I’m sure Dell McGee will get one of them.

Gonna be an interesting finish for Georgia at RB. They slow played some good backs, and I don't think they are as close to landing Evans as they think they are. I think it's Milton or bust right now for them. They will battle Scar for Bigsby as the second back in each class, but I think the chickens still have the inside track on him. 

On 5/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

No, I didn't move the goalposts. I've maintained all along that it's naive to think every program isn't dirty to a certain extent. What I do think is fucking ridiculous is the baby brother (South Carolina, aggy) conspiracy theories like a church is funneling money to recruits or someone who works for 247 is a bagman for a program, jfc. To me, there's a big difference between hundred dollar handshakes and a recruit showing up out of nowhere and committing on the spot. 

No. Simms didn’t say that. And Clemson is crushing everyone this year in recruiting 

On one of these recruiting threads, and clearly it wasn't this one, we'd discussed who the hell Bama is even going after in this class at QB. Well, this is the appropriate thread for the update. They're damned near all in on converting Bryce Young over from USC to the Tide. We'll see if it works out. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On one of these recruiting threads, and clearly it wasn't this one, we'd discussed who the hell Bama is even going after in this class at QB. Well, this is the appropriate thread for the update. They're damned near all in on converting Bryce Young over from USC to the Tide. We'll see if it works out. 

Their recruiting will be interesting to watch for the first time in a while because it’s not a given they’ll be in the top 3 (though they weren’t in ‘18). Didn’t you say Saban targeted the best teaching positional coaches without the highest regard for their recruiting chops in their latest turnover? 

Just now, closetojumping said:

One other update regarding TBs and the Evil Empire. They expect to land one of Evans and Milton, if not both. Not even sure who publicly leads for Milton these days. Whoever it is, they might want to look over their shoulders and then get their money right.

The tOSU insiders are extremely confident, though they were with Ricks for a while before it was clear he’s locked into LSU. They claim Georgia is their biggest competition and aren’t too worried about Bama, which seems like a dangerous mindset.

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

Their recruiting will be interesting to watch for the first time in a while because it’s not a given they’ll be in the top 3 (though they weren’t in ‘18). Didn’t you say Saban targeted the best teaching positional coaches without the highest regard for their recruiting chops in their latest turnover? 

Yes, which has been taken as a sign in many corners that this is a signal that end is nearing. I don't know if I believe that, but folks there aren't dismissing it the way they were when he did the same for the 2018 cycle/season.

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

The tOSU insiders are extremely confident, though they were with Ricks for a while before it was clear he’s locked into LSU. They claim Georgia is their biggest competition and aren’t too worried about Bama, which seems like a dangerous mindset.

Milton has told the Ohio State coaches sweet nothings, but he's about to go on OVs on successive weeks to LSU, Bama, and then Georgia

You typically want the last OV, not the fourth to last 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Milton has told the Ohio State coaches sweet nothings, but he's about to go on OVs on successive weeks to LSU, Bama, and then Georgia

You typically want the last OV, not the fourth to last 

Yeah I think Georgia gets Milton. If I had to guess Evans goes to Bama, Jaylan Knighton goes to tOSU, and Keyvone Lee goes to LSU.

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I forgot that Cooks was gone from OU. 

It'll be really interesting to see where that defense goes.  Gibbs had them moving in the right direction.  But their new coordinator, Keith Patterson leaves some things to be desired.  Patterson was DC at WVU during the Geno Smith days, whose defense couldn't make a stop to save their lives.  Then he went to Arizona State, where he was DC for three years before being demoted to position coach.  Then he spent one year with Wells at Utah State.

33 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

It'll be really interesting to see where that defense goes.  Gibbs had them moving in the right direction.  But their new coordinator, Keith Patterson leaves some things to be desired.  Patterson was DC at WVU during the Geno Smith days, whose defense couldn't make a stop to save their lives.  Then he went to Arizona State, where he was DC for three years before being demoted to position coach.  Then he spent one year with Wells at Utah State.

Yeeesh. Sounds like the Shawn Watson of defensive coordinators. 

I'll never understand recruiting. 

1.) Griffin Little from Ft Wayne Indiana in the class of 2020. He has offers from Air Force, Cornell, Tulane, and Yale. He ends up choosing Bowling Green over all of them. Now Bowling Green is obviously closer to home, but he could've been set for life with a degree from Air Force, Cornell, or Yale. Maybe he doesn't want to serve but wants to be FBS then a Tulane degree is just fine.

2.) Jack Salopek from Irwin, PA chooses Western Michigan (nowhere near home) over Dartmouth, Harvard, Pitt, and Yale

If you're a 5-star with NFL potential then sure choose you a football school but Bowling Green and Western Michigan...come on.

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

2.) Jack Salopek from Irwin, PA chooses Western Michigan (nowhere near home) over Dartmouth, Harvard, Pitt, and Yale

Perhaps he doesn't want to pay for college?

• Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

How many kids end up paying much for ivy anymore if they can’t afford it?  I thought they all had it worked out so that there’s plenty of aid available, to avoid having a campus full of rich white kids. 

I doubt much of that aid goes to football players who are getting into Ivy more easily due to sports 

Just now, Fud said:

I doubt much of that aid goes to football players who are getting into Ivy more easily due to sports 

Nope it's the exact opposite. It's easier to get at the aid pot if you have sports offers - the coaches walk you through it, and you can leverage other offers (especially if you get into an academy).

• Like 1

A lot of it may have to do with not wanting to have to work in the classroom. Get free degree at Western Michigan with a tutor doing most of the heavy lifting or go to an Ivy and have to really work. Though with grade inflation that I understand is rampant at the Ivies a guy could probably get by with their tutors and come away with a much more valuable degree on similar effort. But those schools' reputation may be hard to overcome for a kid who just wants to play football and party.

Edited by rickyspub

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Though with grade inflation that I understand is rampant at the Ivies a guy could probably get by with their tutors and come away with a much more valuable degree on similar effort

Kind of answered the question for yourself, there, didn't you, buddy?

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Kind of answered the question for yourself, there, didn't you, buddy?

Do you think the average 18-year-old really believes it when the Harvard coach tells him he won't likely get anything worse than a 'C'? Especially when a guy knows Western Michigan is easier just by counting the eye candy on campus.

19 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Do you think the average 18-year-old really believes it when the Harvard coach tells him he won't likely get anything worse than a 'C'? Especially when a guy knows Western Michigan is easier just by counting the eye candy on campus.

I honestly bet Harvard has prettier girls than Western Michigan.