Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

Shea Dixon (LSU's 247 mod) predicts their 2020 class:

QB: TJ Finley, Max Johnson
RB: Kendall Milton
WR: Kayshon Boutte, Darin Turner, Kris Abrams-Draine, Koy Moore, JJ Evans
TE: Elijah Yelverton
OL: Courtland Ford, Miller Merriweather-Lewis, Isaiah Walker Jr., Andrew Raym
DL: Jaquelin Roy, CamRon Jackson, Jordan Berry, Jacobian Guillory, Jalen Lee, Montra Edwards
LB/EDGE: Alec Bryant, Adam Chaney, Brandon Williams
DB: Elias Ricks, Lorando Johnson, Eric Reed, Jerrin Thompson, Mike Harris

TTU got a couple of commitments the last couple of days.  

Got an athlete out of Bishop Gorman (Donovan Smith ) who fancies himself a dual threat QB but played WR last year.  At 6-4, catching passes is likely to be where he ends up I'd guess.  He's the TT  RB coach's son and will now move to Lubbock to play his senior year..

Dont know where else to put this (please, nobody say I'll tell you where you can put it), but they also got a commitment from Lubbock Cooper freshman safety Kobie Mckinzie.  Already at 6-3, 225, he's likely to be a 5 star type as he already had 6 offers including one from Oklahoma State.  

That said, I refuse to give a lot of thought to a commitment who hasn't even completed his freshman year in high school yet.  Life long (as short as it's been) Tech fan who's been around the program a good while now.

Edited by pigmeat markham

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-arizona-state-football-herm-edwards-0224-story.html

Another unique challenge for Herm Edwards was recruiting. What used to last only a few months now spans the entire year for college coaches.

“Probably 70 percent of your workload is recruiting,” Edwards said. To help with that workload, Edwards adopted an NFL-style approach to recruiting, including setting up a scouting department that helps coaches evaluate high school recruits.

25 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Is this a Bama/ Clemson thing?  The good guys got any skin in the game?

I think Bama or circling back to LSU are the most likely scenarios. Georgia and A&M will try to get him too. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:11 AM, pigmeat markham said:

TTU got a couple of commitments the last couple of days.  

Got an athlete out of Bishop Gorman (Donovan Smith ) who fancies himself a dual threat QB but played WR last year.  At 6-4, catching passes is likely to be where he ends up I'd guess.  He's the TT  RB coach's son and will now move to Lubbock to play his senior year..

Dont know where else to put this (please, nobody say I'll tell you where you can put it), but they also got a commitment from Lubbock Cooper freshman safety Kobie Mckinzie.  Already at 6-3, 225, he's likely to be a 5 star type as he already had 6 offers including one from Oklahoma State.  

That said, I refuse to give a lot of thought to a commitment who hasn't even completed his freshman year in high school yet.  Life long (as short as it's been) Tech fan who's been around the program a good while now.

I'll crawl out on a limb and say that if you're 6-3, 225 as a freshman in high school, safety isn't your most likely position in college. 

6 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'll crawl out on a limb and say that if you're 6-3, 225 as a freshman in high school, safety isn't your most likely position in college. 

Can't argue with that.  Truth be known, their new defense has a hybrid DE/LB position that also drops back in pass coverage on occasion and that's where he's projected.  Who knows though how he develops physically in the next 3 years.

Carson Beck is the #3 ranked pro style QB. He was committed to Bama for awhile, before decommitting in early February. He was considered a Gata lock, and had a top 3 of Florida, Bama, and Miami. 

Georgia offers Beck on Feb 27. Beck visits Georgia March 2, and commits to the Dwags the next day. Now I ain't saying what everyone across the southeast is saying, and this Gata recruit is "jokingly" saying, but Jawja is definitely not a fun team to go head to head with for a recruit right now. Clemson and Texas are gonna have to battle this machine for Bowman and Evans. Hold onto your butts, gents. 

13 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Carson Beck is the #3 ranked pro style QB. He was committed to Bama for awhile, before decommitting in early February. He was considered a Gata lock, and had a top 3 of Florida, Bama, and Miami. 

Georgia offers Beck on Feb 27. Beck visits Georgia March 2, and commits to the Dwags the next day. Now I ain't saying what everyone across the southeast is saying, and this Gata recruit is "jokingly" saying, but Jawja is definitely not a fun team to go head to head with for a recruit right now. Clemson and Texas are gonna have to battle this machine for Bowman and Evans. Hold onto your butts, gents. 

I mean, i’ll say it. Kirby is dirty and buys everyone he can, period. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You think Clemson is not as committed to FB as Georgia or bama? They just prefer a different method of bag delivery.

Edited by Goodman

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This might beat Waco's restaurant board for weird chain food sadness

(He's State's ex-Scout writer)

What does Mississippi State win?  They have one conference title in their history.  That is 78 years old.

They talking about tennis or something?

Actually, looking at it a bit more, their baseball program is pretty clearly their best program in sports people care about. Pretty consistently go to Omaha about twice per decade.

And unlike certain conference mates of theirs, they actually win games there sometimes.

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm kind of surprised UGA got him but UF's system doesn't really fit that kid. Living in the Southeast myself, it's no secret the Dawgs are dropping bags.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Doesn't that mean Baylor can't recruit any of the kids he's handled for the next two years?  (And isn't there also some kind of look-back period?)

I believe so, assuming the NCAA actually enforces it 

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'm not sure why Rhule felt the need to do that. There are much better options.

It really is weird. Zero commits in March, and they're hiring some low-grade street agent on the staff.

They actually had a good class last year, so they're not incompetent, and Rhule (Paterno loyalty aside) has a pretty sterling reputation among coaches. It's all strange.

Edited by texifornia

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It really is weird. Zero commits in March, and they're hiring some low-grade street agent on the staff.

They actually had a good class last year, so they're not incompetent, and Rhule (Paterno loyalty aside) has a pretty sterling reputation among coaches. It's all strange.

They were worked by Carrington last cycle. Even Rhule was RTing Carrington during all the Hookfin nonsense. 

They hired a young guy they think can connect with recruits. He does interact with a lot of recruits and seems to have a general knowledge of the high school landscape. The problem is he's a street agent. 

Edited by texasstrong12