Best Texas Movie by City

Middle Age Crazy - Bruce Dern, Ann Margaret, Houston construction company building out a suite in Texas Stadium, Cowboy cheerleaders, etc.

Sugarland Express - Goldie Hawn

The Rookie - Filmed in Thorndale, and Austin area

But other than Giant, Fandango is indeed #1 :)

• Like 1

Also this gem which was a big deal back when they shot it in Austin....

MV5BMTQzOTYyMzU5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzk1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

The Alamo was filmed in Bracketville.

My fav is The Last Picture Show filmed mostly in Archer City.  

A much better Alamo movie was filmed in Dripping Springs and Bastrop.

Don't think anyone mentioned this yet. Much of it in San Marcos...

the-getaway-1972-poster-michal-lanczkows

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Good film, but it's been a while. I don't recall any references to Texas. I don't recall thinking, Texas while watching but.. 

I dont recall specific references, but definitely set in the Tyler area i believe and based on a novel, which was based on real-life events, sufficiently closely that the guy portrayed by Jason Patric sued everyone in sight.  https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/15/432/535895/

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The Getaway is a great movie. Had no idea they were in San Marcos...

Outlaw Blues was being shot when we moved to Austin. I blame it and SXSW for letting the cat outta the bag.

Edited by wood

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

All of the films u listed were filmed in Texas, EXCEPT Hell or High Water, though

If that’s a prerequisite, then how do we make movies about Mars?

Answer that, Mr Smartguy...

#justfuckingaround. #damnedsurebegsthequestionthough

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Looking at McQueen in that poster reminded me of "Baby The Rain must Fall" with McQueen and Lee Remick.  

I knew part of it was filmed in Columbus,  because I lived right down the road in Eagle Lake.  That was a pretty big deal for youngsters back then.  

After looking at Wikipedia I learned it was also filmed in Wharton,  Bay City and Lockhart.   

15 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I am an idiot, I meant Cloak and Dagger.  

Such a terrible movie but bonus points for the climactic scene being shot on the riverwalk

Other San Antonio movies: Johnny Be Good starring Anthony Michael Hall as the highly recruited high school quarterback and Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock. 

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, if we're just naming movies shot in Texas, then Hope Floats was mostly in Smithville, and DOA was San Marcos/Austin.  But neither were particularly good...

So maybe I shouldn't have included Johnny Be Good?

The film was a failure at the box office and for its star, Anthony Michael Hall. At review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, as of July 2014, Johnny Be Good had a 0% rating, based on 11 reviews, with an average score of 2.3/10.[1]

Awards and nominations
Nugent's contribution to the soundtrack, "Skintight", earned nomination for a 1988 Golden Raspberry Award as Worst Original Song.

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Nobody has mentioned Idiocracy, Sin City, Texas Chainsaw Massacre; the Next Generation (with 2 Longhorns), Machette, Slacker, Waking Life, The DUFF, so I mean, why not those two.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, TNG, with Renee and Matthew really should be listed here. 

Don't think I've seen Spy Kids mentioned yet, either...

36 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Anything that happened to have been shot in Texas or set in Texas shouldn't necessarily be included. I think Texas or a particular place or part of Texas needs to basically be a whole character of a movie for it to count. That or the movie is about people or something distinctly Texan.

This is why Fandago is the best Texas movie ever.

Phil: "Texas is really ugly, you know that? I mean, what could anyone possibly like about this state?"
Dorman: "I like the way it's shaped."
Gardner: "It's wild, Phillip. Always has been and always will be - just like us."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is why Fandago is the best Texas movie ever.

Phil: "Texas is really ugly, you know that? I mean, what could anyone possibly like about this state?"
Dorman: "I like the way it's shaped."
Gardner: "It's wild, Phillip. Always has been and always will be - just like us."

y77g7ar9

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Anything that happened to have been shot in Texas or set in Texas shouldn't necessarily be included. I think Texas or a particular place or part of Texas needs to basically be a whole character of a movie for it to count. That or the movie is about people or something distinctly Texan.

I don't think Bernie has been mentioned, but it should definitely be somewhere on a list of Texas movies. Hell, the diner scene alone with the old man describing different parts of the state is classic.

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

I don't think Bernie has been mentioned, but it should definitely be somewhere on a list of Texas movies. Hell, the diner scene alone with the old man describing different parts of the state is classic.

I think it was mentioned upthread, but that was one of the movies I was thinking about. The town of Carthage is basically a character in that movie.

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yep, this is the scene.

My wife is born in Carthage, and her parents live in nearby Tenaha.  I'm no big fan of East Texas, yet I found the movie and it's East Texas setting and characters (many of whom were played by local residents) really endearing to me. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2018 at 9:06 AM, Grandioso said:

Although shot in and around Austin, and referencing the moon tower, Top Notch, etc., Dazed and Confused has way more elements from Huntsville, where Linklater went to high school. (Also, Everybody Wants Some is about RL's freshman year at Sam Houston State.)

Ricky Floyd ("Randall" Floyd in the movie), Wooderson, O'Bannon, Slater, and others are/were literally real people RL went to high school with. My aunt dated Ricky Floyd briefly in high school. The senior-freshman hazing ritual still goes on. The Emporium was a pool hall in Huntsville. At the end they drive down to Houston for Aerosmith tickets. 

http://www.buildingshsu.com/site/resources/dazed.html

This sent me down the internet rabbit hole.  In 2004 Slater, Floyd and Wooderson sued Linklater for defamation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45614-2004Dec7.html?noredirect=on

Some facts from the article-

Pink was a second string OL, not a star QB, Wooderson is now divorced (not shocking), Wooderson's son went to Harvard.

From L to R, Slater, Pink and Wooderson in 2004.

I45606-2004Dec07

Edited by Not a cat

6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

According to the obit Wooderson was an aggy.  Makes sense if you think about it but i guess with mccoughnahey playing him I always pictured him as one of us.

The movie Wooderson was far from aggy.  Can you see a guy who dressed and acted like that on the aggy campus in the 1970s?