OU Recruiting 2019: White Visors and Belly Tats

Machinator

17 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

.8963 average composite on D. That would be good for the #18 team average. Not directional Louisiana bad, but not elite.

That’s an interesting idea, I wonder why 24/7 doesn’t have rankings for defensive and offensive classes. Would be interesting to compare and analyze

17 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Using Rivals - OU signed 16 4/5 Star players - 8 offense & 8 on defense. 13 of the 24 currently are defensive recruits

Top rated defensive player in the class? 

Jeremiah Criddell - S - 180 pound S (with a with a small frame unlikely to put on much more weight without losing speed/quickness). 

4.82 40 -- 4.4 shuttle - 32.7 vert

I'd go down the entire list but if the top ranked player in your defensive class is such a limited athlete, why bother? I think it proves the point. A microcosm of Riley's philosophy on offensive and defensive talent, and a continuation of the systemic issues on defense. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Top rated defensive player in the class? 

Jeremiah Criddell - S - 180 pound S (with a with a small frame unlikely to put on much more weight without losing speed/quickness). 

4.82 40 -- 4.4 shuttle - 32.7 vert

I'd go down the entire list but if the top ranked player in your defensive class is such a limited athlete, why bother? I think it proves the point. A microcosm of Riley's philosophy on offensive and defensive talent, and a continuation of the systemic issues on defense. 

I want them taking as many Parnell Motleys as they can fill up on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Constant said:

As it relates to the Texas Longhorns?

Yes. Very much so. I keep trying to decide if you don't get it because you're stupid or because you don't want it to be true - either way, just like science 'it's true whether or not you believe in it.'.

It's not a bad defensive class; it just doesn't look good enough to make much of a dent in the iron chute OU has been putting on the field in between offensive TDs. South Dakota, UCLA, and the Fightin' Cougar High Holgos are unlikely to make them pay. They went 1 for 3, though, against final top 10 teams last year. They would seem more likely to threaten their one win than improve their two losses based on who they lose and who they sign. Long-term, they need a defense good enough that an experienced quality OL, star WR, and Heisman QB win more big games than they lose. I hope it doesn't get fixed. Credible defensive coaching in 2019 might well help them start recruiting D guys more like their offensive players. Or there may be some Tech-Coaching-Tree defensive curse.

Edited by Magus Ossis

13 hours ago, golfclap said:

Yes. Very much so. I keep trying to decide if you don't get it because you're stupid or because you don't want it to be true - either way, just like science 'it's true whether or not you believe in it.'.

Well maybe on y’alls climb up that mountain you can figure out how to not be outscored 146-54 in the fourth quarter. I’ll see you at the top, bitch. 

• Fuck You 7

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Well maybe on y’alls climb up that mountain you can figure out how to not be outscored 146-54 in the fourth quarter. I’ll see you at the top, bitch. 

Hey man, it's why we love/hate you. aggy is your dumbass little brother that has never been to the top. OU, that's your shitty redneck friend that somehow has made it to the top and we know we have to target you and ruin you next season to do what we need to do.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hey man, it's why we love/hate you. aggy is your dumbass little brother that has never been to the top. OU, that's your shitty redneck friend that somehow has made it to the top and we know we have to target you and ruin you next season to do what we need to do.

Haha I get it. What’s my purpose here if not to fire back? 

8 hours ago, Constant said:

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH. The top? LMMFAO. The top of what you stupid fuckshit? Clemson is the only team at the top. The only top I care about is a national title.  

The last game you played was another non-competitive humiliation so congrats on the Sooner version of "the top". 

The fact that you think that Blinkin's reply is somehow "firing back" is funny as fuck. The fact that you think you are at the top is fucking HILARIOUS. You guys don't even realize that just like Cale's stupid fucking post that got you guy all riled up and excited - the constant BigXII title mantra from Big Game Bob was always a deflection from his inability to win, or even be competitive, in big games anymore. So he makes it about Texas and for you and all of your Dirt Burglar brethren that's enough - because face it - it is. If you beat Texas you're fine with it.  

4 losing seasons since 1965? WGAF? The last time you won a national title the current recruiting class wasn't alive. 

As to your 4th qtr comment - we ARE figuring it out. It's called depth you stupid fucking methhead. We took some lumps over the past 2 seasons to make sure that we could RS entire OL/DL classes. So that we have depth in the trenches, something we haven't had in more than a decade. To that end we are bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper than we've been and getting bigger, faster, stronger, and deeper with each class. You know -- actively addressing the systemic issues that we have. Go back and watch the Sugar Bowl - watch Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai and ask yourself why Texas didn't play them all season. 

Now tell me, what the fuck OU is doing to change the systemic failures that show every time that you play a team that has comparable depth/talent?  Those losses to Alabama, UGA, Clemson - you're not closing the gap there. You aren't addressing those systemic issues - you continue to recruit small and/or athletically limited players in the back 7 and maxed out guys up front. The issues haven't been guys not in position (ie. gameday coaching) - the issues have been that they aren't physically capable of making the plays - late to the run fills, incapable of maintaining gap integrity, too small, too weak. That's not changing, it's actually getting worse under Riley.

Oh, I know before you babble about it - "Grinch is gonna fix all that"  I'd bet you actually believe that. 

The reality is that you have been the best team in the Big XII and have been for a while. The other reality is that both Texas and OU and distancing ourselves from the rest of the conference. Going forward there are going to be a lot of top 10 meetings between our 2 teams. The systemic difference is that you guys are not built to win against opponents with comparable talent. It's not a hope, it's a trend. It's measurable. The bad news for you is that we are getting to the point where we have comparable talent/depth and are systemically much more physical. Also a trend. 

• Like 7

Fyi.... BlowU early enrollees for 2019

Theo Wease, WR

Theo Wease is one of three 5-star receivers to sign with the Sooners in the 2019 class, and all are enrolling early. Wease, an Allen High School product, might be the most talented of the bunch. He stands at 6-foot-3, 202 pounds and could make an impact as a true freshman.

Jadon Haselwood, WR

Like Wease, 5-star receiver Jadon Haselwood has a chance to be a big-time player from day one in Norman. According to 247Sports composite rankings, Haselwood is the No. 1 receiver in the country and the No. 4 overall player. The longtime Georgia commitment has Oklahoma roots, as his father attended OU.

Trejan Bridges, WR

Trejan Bridges is a 5-star, but he can appear overlooked when compared to Wease and Haselwood. The Hebron product is listed at 6-foot-1, 180 pounds and is versatile enough to line up in the slot or outside. Bridges is another player who could see early playing time for the Sooners.

Finley Felix, OL

JUCO transfer Finley Felix is the only offensive lineman enrolling early. That could give him a head start on (some of) his competition for one of the two vacant offensive tackle positions. Felix, listed at 6-foot-5, 310 pounds, is not one of the favorites to earn a starting job. However, the Coffeyville Community College transfer was brought in by Bill Bedenbaugh to compete. At the very least, he will be good depth for the Sooners in 2019.

Derek Green, DL

The only defensive tackle in the 2019 class is enrolling early. Derek Green arrives with a relatively shallow depth chart at his position, but it would still be a surprise to see him make an impact early on. A 3-star prospect, Green is likely a redshirt candidate this upcoming season.

Jamal Morris, DB

If there’s one position Oklahoma needs help at, it’s safety. With new defensive coordinator Alex Grinch coming into the fold, the entire defensive depth chart could get turned on its head. That’s especially true at safety -- the group Grinch will coach personally -- where the Sooners struggled to find consistency in 2018. For that reason, Jamal Morris is a candidate to play early on in his career. He’s listed at 6-foot-2, 185 pounds.

Jonathan Perkins, LB

Jonathan Perkins is the only linebacker enrolling early. Where he fits into Grinch’s defense will be one of the more interesting subplots to follow this spring. He could be a fit at inside or outside linebacker. Listed at 6-foot, 214 pounds, Perkins hails from San Bernardino, Calif.

Austin Stogner, TE

In addition to the three 5-star receivers, Oklahoma also signed one of the top tight ends in the 2019 class in Austin Stogner . He’s bigger than Grant Calcaterra (listed at 6-foot-6, 235 pounds) but that position has a deep depth chart. Lee Morris will be back in 2019, and TE/H-Back Brayden Willis could also be in the mix. Stogner is good enough to play, but it’s tough to see him beating out any of those players in year one.

LaRon Stokes, DE

JUCO transfer LaRon Stokes is also on campus this spring. The Sooners could use him on the edge in 2019, as their pass rush was lacking at certain times throughout the year. As a freshman at NEO, Stokes led the team with six tackles for loss. He could compete for a spot in the defensive line rotation.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/01/21/meet-2019-early-enrollees-already-oklahomas-campus

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Their receiver class is nasty. It should be an entertaining next few RRR's between those guys and McCoy, Smith, Washington. 

Got to be a stud DB to handle the WRs in next few RRR's battles..... like playing DB in NFL.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, golfclap said:

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH. The top? LMMFAO. The top of what you stupid fuckshit? Clemson is the only team at the top. The only top I care about is a national title.  

The last game you played was another non-competitive humiliation so congrats on the Sooner version of "the top". 

The fact that you think that Blinkin's reply is somehow "firing back" is funny as fuck. The fact that you think you are at the top is fucking HILARIOUS. You guys don't even realize that just like Cale's stupid fucking post that got you guy all riled up and excited - the constant BigXII title mantra from Big Game Bob was always a deflection from his inability to win, or even be competitive, in big games anymore. So he makes it about Texas and for you and all of your Dirt Burglar brethren that's enough - because face it - it is. If you beat Texas you're fine with it.  

4 losing seasons since 1965? WGAF? The last time you won a national title the current recruiting class wasn't alive. 

As to your 4th qtr comment - we ARE figuring it out. It's called depth you stupid fucking methhead. We took some lumps over the past 2 seasons to make sure that we could RS entire OL/DL classes. So that we have depth in the trenches, something we haven't had in more than a decade. To that end we are bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper than we've been and getting bigger, faster, stronger, and deeper with each class. You know -- actively addressing the systemic issues that we have. Go back and watch the Sugar Bowl - watch Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai and ask yourself why Texas didn't play them all season. 

Now tell me, what the fuck OU is doing to change the systemic failures that show every time that you play a team that has comparable depth/talent?  Those losses to Alabama, UGA, Clemson - you're not closing the gap there. You aren't addressing those systemic issues - you continue to recruit small and/or athletically limited players in the back 7 and maxed out guys up front. The issues haven't been guys not in position (ie. gameday coaching) - the issues have been that they aren't physically capable of making the plays - late to the run fills, incapable of maintaining gap integrity, too small, too weak. That's not changing, it's actually getting worse under Riley.

Oh, I know before you babble about it - "Grinch is gonna fix all that"  I'd bet you actually believe that. 

The reality is that you have been the best team in the Big XII and have been for a while. The other reality is that both Texas and OU and distancing ourselves from the rest of the conference. Going forward there are going to be a lot of top 10 meetings between our 2 teams. The systemic difference is that you guys are not built to win against opponents with comparable talent. It's not a hope, it's a trend. It's measurable. The bad news for you is that we are getting to the point where we have comparable talent/depth and are systemically much more physical. Also a trend. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7514217

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I always figured they played soft because Stoops was lazy - was it because he's deranged?

Not sure whether he's lazy or not.  But it is a pretty well-known fact that he's a psycho and a hardass.  I seriously doubt folks are jumping ship because playing for Grinch is more difficult than playing for Stoops.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The whole culture is soft at OU.  From Riley down.  As has been mentioned before, they'll never out physical us in a matchup as long as Riley is around.

A football can either emphasize precision or toughness.  All Air Raid based systems use high rep practices to instill precision.  It's a trade off.  Riley has gotten good results but teams with superior talent or close enough talent + superior coaching have given him big problems.

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The whole culture is soft at OU.  From Riley down.  As has been mentioned before, they'll never out physical us in a matchup as long as Riley is around.

This has always seemed to me like a lazy take... out-physicaling us at the LOS was a big factor in their win over us in the Big 12 title game. They put Caleb Kelly in the box and we couldn't get anything going on the ground all game, nor could we take advantage often enough with throws downfield.

There are other factors for blOU's defensive decline... Year after year they have the best OL in the Big 12, which doesn't happen if your team is soft (when Mack went soft in 2009, our O-line was the first to go).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

This has always seemed to me like a lazy take... out-physicaling us at the LOS was a big factor in their win over us in the Big 12 title game. They put Caleb Kelly in the box and we couldn't get anything going on the ground all game, nor could we take advantage often enough with throws downfield.

There are other factors for blOU's defensive decline... Year after year they have the best OL in the Big 12, which doesn't happen if your team is soft (when Mack went soft in 2009, our O-line was the first to go).

You don't think Sam's injured shoulder and having to carry the ball in his left hand was a bigger factor in the playcalling and run success? He didn't look good passing either. Looked a bit ginger moving around in the pocket and scanning the field as well.