OU Recruiting 2019: White Visors and Belly Tats

Machinator

13 hours ago, sushihorn said:

A football can either emphasize precision or toughness.  All Air Raid based systems use high rep practices to instill precision.  It's a trade off.  Riley has gotten good results but teams with superior talent or close enough talent + superior coaching have given him big problems.

I don’t think it’s as much toughness as it is about catering too much to the offense. We saw this with Gilbert in 2016. High rep practices really benefit the O, but they kill the defense because the defense is out of position and confused over and over, which tends to create bad habits.

Guys. Guys. We've already been over this and the residential gooners will tell you that we're just being homers and scared about the idea of a smash mouthed, physical on both sides of the ball, team that one Lincoln "Sun's always shining on my tummy" Riley will field against us every year in Dallas. 

Tread at your own will...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, golfclap said:

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH. The top? LMMFAO. The top of what you stupid fuckshit? Clemson is the only team at the top. The only top I care about is a national title.  

The last game you played was another non-competitive humiliation so congrats on the Sooner version of "the top". 

The fact that you think that Blinkin's reply is somehow "firing back" is funny as fuck. The fact that you think you are at the top is fucking HILARIOUS. You guys don't even realize that just like Cale's stupid fucking post that got you guy all riled up and excited - the constant BigXII title mantra from Big Game Bob was always a deflection from his inability to win, or even be competitive, in big games anymore. So he makes it about Texas and for you and all of your Dirt Burglar brethren that's enough - because face it - it is. If you beat Texas you're fine with it.  

4 losing seasons since 1965? WGAF? The last time you won a national title the current recruiting class wasn't alive. 

As to your 4th qtr comment - we ARE figuring it out. It's called depth you stupid fucking methhead. We took some lumps over the past 2 seasons to make sure that we could RS entire OL/DL classes. So that we have depth in the trenches, something we haven't had in more than a decade. To that end we are bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper than we've been and getting bigger, faster, stronger, and deeper with each class. You know -- actively addressing the systemic issues that we have. Go back and watch the Sugar Bowl - watch Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai and ask yourself why Texas didn't play them all season. 

Now tell me, what the fuck OU is doing to change the systemic failures that show every time that you play a team that has comparable depth/talent?  Those losses to Alabama, UGA, Clemson - you're not closing the gap there. You aren't addressing those systemic issues - you continue to recruit small and/or athletically limited players in the back 7 and maxed out guys up front. The issues haven't been guys not in position (ie. gameday coaching) - the issues have been that they aren't physically capable of making the plays - late to the run fills, incapable of maintaining gap integrity, too small, too weak. That's not changing, it's actually getting worse under Riley.

Oh, I know before you babble about it - "Grinch is gonna fix all that"  I'd bet you actually believe that. 

The reality is that you have been the best team in the Big XII and have been for a while. The other reality is that both Texas and OU and distancing ourselves from the rest of the conference. Going forward there are going to be a lot of top 10 meetings between our 2 teams. The systemic difference is that you guys are not built to win against opponents with comparable talent. It's not a hope, it's a trend. It's measurable. The bad news for you is that we are getting to the point where we have comparable talent/depth and are systemically much more physical. Also a trend. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

The whole culture is soft at OU.  From Riley down.  As has been mentioned before, they'll never out physical us in a matchup as long as Riley is around.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Man, nice to see you finally realizing the reality that is the soft OU players and coaches. Good job! 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:43 PM, pacman said:

Strictly speaking to the physical side of the game, yes OU is scared.

They certainly feel like OU can win against Texas but it's not because they are confident in their ability to line up head to head and win individual, physical battles. IMO, that was pretty clear in the two games.

The team is soft. They only talk tough, a lot. Lots of false bravado which they have used to get the mental edge for years.

But, they are talented as well. No doubt there. They will continue to win a lot of games but it will not ever be because they are the more physical team in the big games.

Just my read of the team.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, golfclap said:

I always forget how fucking stupid you Sooners are, even the “Doc” it appears. 

Let me help you out — I’ll go super slow. What was the impetus for Gundy’s subtweet? 

Texas had just physically whipped the fuck out of an “elite physical football team” - and Ehlinger said “we’re back” a scant few hours after OU was bullied in another humiliating loss. 

With me so far dummies? Here’s the difficult part that you are struggling with. 

The Texas win and OUs loss weren’t just about a single game vs those physical type of opponents - they highlighted a systemic issue for OU and a cultural/systemic change at Texas. This isn’t a one game instance for OU but a trend. It’s happened over and over and over. A trend in which, when facing opponents with comparable talent and depth the lack of physicality makes the Sooners uncompetitive. Everyone wondered for years what Leach could do with OU/Texas talent. Now we know. OU is built to win the conference but it would take a miracle draw for them to even be compete in a playoff game, much less 2 in a row. 

“When Texas was a perennial top 10 team” 

you are so fucking wound up that you don’t even realize you are making my point. Texas was RARELY the more physical team, even in that time period. When Texas was the more physical team ... it won the national title.

I’m heading back out to snowboard but take a break and read your numerous replies. You know that I’m right and you are trying to justify/deflect - which is absolutely what Cale was going for. Not once have you guys even discussed the clear systemic shortcomings at OU because you are spun up about Texas. It’s almost like Gundy’s deflection worked as intended. 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, lemonandaturd said:

In terms of physicality, give Bennie Wylie a couple of years and that Sooner team will all look like Tarzan and play like Jane.  They might even win a couple of body building posing competitions.  Yancey McKnight has got this physicality thing covered.      

Still wondering about that “systemic” problem of being ‘out physicalled’ by Texas and their superior system of physicality...

Can I get an update on this supposed changing of the guard due to OU being soft? Is that still happening? I think my grandmother could get pressure on Ehlinger and she died three years ago. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2019 at 3:17 AM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

You don't think Sam's injured shoulder and having to carry the ball in his left hand was a bigger factor in the playcalling and run success? He didn't look good passing either. Looked a bit ginger moving around in the pocket and scanning the field as well. 

Even at his worst he moves better than Major.

I never said it before out of fear of being negged but all the comments from our fanbase about OU being overrated and a soft joke were pretty fucking dumb.  All you have to do is watch a little football this year and see Texas isn't standing alone at the top of the Big12 with regards to physicality, and nowhere near the top when it comes to the physicality of the WR and DB groups.  Credit Herman for bringing more physicality to the conference, but these things are in no way static.  Credit Riley for adapting quickly to rising threats in order to keep the high ground.  

Getting a rematch with OU is a priority, but it's going to take better coaching than what we've seen so far.  Texas won't necessarily be the most physical team on the field anymore through the rest of conference play.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

His team's softness insured two of the best offenses of all time couldn't even play for a national championship, and he's clapping back on Surly.

Texas is just too systemically physical to resist. I am in awe of the system and its physicality. 

Edited by Constant

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone giving it a neg or not doesn't make you any less of a pussy for not posting it, but showing up later and claiming you had it right the whole way in your head. 

I beg to differ. I can just imagine sir squeeegeeedeeegeee sitting back from the monitor, stroking his goatee, and staring pensively through his monocle at the monitor and quietly, consistently, muttering “dumb fucks. OU is tough too”. Then he’d skulk outside in front of his condo and shout “eloi eloi lama sabachthani!”, towards the sky, wait for a response, hear nothing, and then slink back inside, pour himself a bowl of cheerios, and mutter new insights to himself as he scoffed at our ramblings. That’s pretty manly shit right there, bro. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

I never said it before out of fear of being negged but all the comments from our fanbase about OU being overrated and a soft joke were pretty fucking dumb.  All you have to do is watch a little football this year and see Texas isn't standing alone at the top of the Big12 with regards to physicality, and nowhere near the top when it comes to the physicality of the WR and DB groups.  Credit Herman for bringing more physicality to the conference, but these things are in no way static.  Credit Riley for adapting quickly to rising threats in order to keep the high ground.  

Getting a rematch with OU is a priority, but it's going to take better coaching than what we've seen so far.  Texas won't necessarily be the most physical team on the field anymore through the rest of conference play.

Pussy. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I beg to differ. I can just imagine sir squeeegeeedeeegeee sitting back from the monitor, stroking his goatee, and staring pensively through his monocle at the monitor and quietly, consistently, muttering “dumb fucks. OU is tough too”. Then he’d skulk outside in front of his condo and shout “eloi eloi lama sabachthani!”, towards the sky, wait for a response, hear nothing, and then slink back inside, pour himself a bowl of cheerios, and mutter new insights to himself as he scoffed at our ramblings. That’s pretty manly shit right there, bro. 

Oh fuck that's how you know he thinks squeegeedegg is subhuman

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...