wc day 13 :: reservoir dog

Hagbard Celine

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That Nigeria/Argentina game is going to be so much fun. Messi with his back to the wall. 

Could be most interesting game of the day.  Argentina, despite the disaster of a WC so far for them, could actually advance with a win.  However, they appear to be a dumpster fire and with that defense of theirs, it could get ugly for them

Australia v Peru: Fisht Stadium, Sochi.
Tuesday 26 June, kick-off 5pm local, midnight AEST.

Australia head into Tuesday’s game in Sochi hoping to snaffle second place in Group C ahead of Denmark and reach the last 16 of a World Cup for the first time since 2006.

Bert van Marwijk’s side are three points behind Denmark, having lost to France and drawn with the Danes in the opening two games of their campaign.

Australia must beat Peru and hope Denmark lose to France in Moscow. Any other result in either game would eliminate the Socceroos.

In the event of an Australian win and a Danish defeat, the two teams would finish level on four points.

Goal difference would then come into play. Australia are currently minus-one, Denmark plus-one, so the Socceroos would need a swing of three to progress.

A swing of just two (for example, a 1-0 win for Australia and a 1-0 defeat for Denmark) would leave the two teams level.

The next criterion would be the number of goals scored by each. Both teams have scored twice in the tournament so far. So if Denmark were to lose by a margin of one goal but still score more than Australia (for example, a 3-2 defeat for Denmark while the Socceroos won 1-0), the Danes would go through.

If the teams still could not be separated, the next criterion (the result when they played each other) would not help, since they drew 1-1. Then their disciplinary records would be assessed, as per Fifa’s rules:

each yellow card: minus one point

second yellow leading to a red: minus four points

straight red card: minus four points

yellow card and straight red card: minus five points

Four Denmark players have been booked so far this tournament, to Australia’s three. Neither side has had a player sent off.

In the unlikely event the teams still could not be separated, lots will be drawn.

The team that finishes second in Group C will play the winner of Group D. Croatia currently top that group, and barring a heavy defeat to Iceland in their final game – coupled with a big win for Nigeria over Argentina – will qualify as group winners.

it has been brought to my attention that some of my obscure analogies are obscure.

given the thread title i chose for today, it was suggested that i make known why i subscribe to the maxim, "Messi es un perro."

with only 37000 views in the 5 years since this video was posted, i give you the source of this truth.

click on the "cc" button for english subtitles.

may the age of the man-dog live on, just a few days more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it has been brought to my attention that some of my obscure analogies are obscure.

given the thread title i chose for today, it was suggested that i make known why i subscribe to the maxim, "Messi es un perro."

with only 37000 views in the 5 years since this video was posted, i give you the source of this truth.

click on the "cc" button for english subtitles.

may the age of the man-dog live on, just a few days more.

cool video

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

That Nigeria/Argentina game is going to be so much fun. Messi with his back to the wall. 

Messis had about as uninspiring of a world cup as one could draw up. I dont think Ive seen one moment where hes enjoying himself out there. I think Nigeria wins

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Messis had about as uninspiring of a world cup as one could draw up. I dont think Ive seen one moment where hes enjoying himself out there. I think Nigeria wins

He's "retired" from Argentina more times than I can remember. He hates the way they play & the way they choose the squad. But he's loyal and feels the urge to give back. Then they treat him like shit when he misses a penalty.

He's done.

This formation is the one I think Argentina should use with Aguero and Higuain at the top and Messi right behind them. They will probably go back to last game's formation that has given them zero results and Nigeria will win. I will feel good that Argentina lost but after watching that Messi video I will feel bad for Messi that he was never given the right supporting cast..

formation.png

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

really dumb play by Denmark there,  gets a yellow for no real reason, the breakaway was slowing and its almost end of stoppage time...

Was the Dane at risk of suspension with the yellow?  Otherwise I don't see the coaching staff upset at all.  You don't give up a goal there with Griezmann leading the attack right before the half.  He knows they are in injury time, but he doesn't know there are only 5 seconds left.