Barbeque

ChampKind

I can't believe nobody has started a barbeque thread for Houston yet. The hell is wrong with you guys? Houston is bursting at the seams with new options to the point that some of the recent additions to the TM Top 50 are getting left in the dust. Most of these guys are friends of mine so I won't rank them, but I'll group my favorites together.

Corkscrew 

Tejas

Pinkerton's

Roegels

Feges

Willow's

Gatlin's

Well, we weren't gonna rep anything but Buck's and you have your own thread on the big board, soooooo.....

Edited to add: It's interesting what Champ left OFF his list...<cough> Pit Room <cough> Killen's <cough cough>

Edited by DoobieWah
Reasons

Well, we weren't gonna rep anything but Buck's and you have your own thread on the big board, soooooo.....

Edited to add: It's interesting what Champ left OFF his list... Pit Room Killen's

Watching Man Fire Food right now and Roger is at The Pit Room — is that the same as Killen’s?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Pit Room's quality seems to have dropped significantly in my experience. My favorites in the Houston area are Corkscrew, Bucks, Pinkerton's, and Killen's. Any way you look at it, Houston BBQ is amazing compared to just a few years ago. 

Whoa, high praise. And much appreciated.

I think Pit Room has slipped a bit since Bram left for Loro. They've had a bunch of guys run through their pit room and seems like they're struggling to keep up consistency given the demand for their product. Just my .02. The chicken taco is good every time I have it. Everything is either hit or miss

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe nobody has started a barbeque thread for Houston yet. The hell is wrong with you guys? Houston is bursting at the seams with new options to the point that some of the recent additions to the TM Top 50 are getting left in the dust. Most of these guys are friends of mine so I won't rank them, but I'll group my favorites together.
Corkscrew 
Tejas
Pinkerton's
Roegels
Feges
Willow's
Gatlin's

Good job killing your own thread by making the first post the only post needed. Well, with the obvious exception.

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Is Joey even serving food right now? Sold his trailer and his pit and is trying to build out his highly anticipated spot in East End (expected to open sometime in early 2019).

Had ‘cue from his trailer last month, not sure when he plans to open on the east side tho

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Went to Ray's BBQ today. 

Got the 3 meat plate, brisket, sausage, and ribs. Nothing great, sauce helped a lot probably would have been a little upset if it weren't for the sauce. Sides were beans for me and green beans for my fiance with her salad. Beans seems like ranch style beans with some sauce and hot sauce added. 

Place was very crowded and it took forever to get to-go orders out. All tables taken by people waiting on to-go food. When you walk in, the long line and crowded room would make you think its the best it town, but just took forever to get orders out. 

Possibly would give it another shot, if I every stopped by again and it was crowded. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gonna try to make it by @ChampKind's place next time I'm in town, but in case that's not in the cards, rank these places in terms of how long I'll need to stand in line.  I don't even mind standing in line all day for good BBQ, but if this trip happens, I know that won't be an option.

Truth

Pintertons

Gatlins

Roegels

Feges

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, Landomatic said:

Gonna try to make it by @ChampKind's place next time I'm in town, but in case that's not in the cards, rank these places in terms of how long I'll need to stand in line.  I don't even mind standing in line all day for good BBQ, but if this trip happens, I know that won't be an option.

Truth

Pintertons

Gatlins

Roegels

Feges

Pinkerton and feges are the only ones I’d go to assuming you can’t go to champs place.  If you go at 11:00-11:30 you won’t have much line.  

I hit truth at 11:30 the other day. Line wasn’t long, and moved well, but the bbq wasn’t worth the minimal wait either. 

Edited by pepper brooks

Gonna try to make it by [mention=286]ChampKind[/mention]'s place next time I'm in town, but in case that's not in the cards, rank these places in terms of how long I'll need to stand in line.  I don't even mind standing in line all day for good BBQ, but if this trip happens, I know that won't be an option.
Truth
Pintertons
Gatlins
Roegels
Feges

I very rarely have a line. Neither does Willow. Line length from longest to shortest:

Truth
Pinkerton
Roegels
Feges
Gatlin

All of those are good. But, in my very humble opinion, none of those is putting out appreciably better barbeque than either Willow or me. So why wait in line somewhere
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, ChampKind said:

I very rarely have a line. Neither does Willow. Line length from longest to shortest:

Truth
Pinkerton
Roegels
Feges
Gatlin

All of those are good. But, in my very humble opinion, none of those is putting out appreciably better barbeque than either Willow or me. So why wait in line somewhere

I agree with champ on this one, but we now need to move this to the Galveston thread.  A few of those places champ listed are putting out bbq that is non competitive with what he serves daily.  I have only been to Roegels once so I won't comment further on them other than to say my one time was good, but not great.  Granted it is one time, and it was right when they first transitioned from Bakers Ribs to Roegels. 

I wouldn't be inclined to return to Truth BBQ, and I damn sure wouldn't wait in line for it.  I'm not a big fan of gatlins BBQ, but think the Gatlin's are some seriously nice people.  Blood Brothers has a pretty decent line, and I will go on record firmly that their bbq is not worth waiting for for more than a few minutes tops.  

I would wait in line for Feges.  I would wait in line for Pinkerton.  I would wait in line for Bucks.  I've waited in line for Killen's and would do so again. Anything else, and I'm moving on.  just not worth it.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, pepper brooks said:

I agree with champ on this one, but we now need to move this to the Galveston thread.  A few of those places champ listed are putting out bbq that is non competitive with what he serves daily.  I have only been to Roegels once so I won't comment further on them other than to say my one time was good, but not great.  Granted it is one time, and it was right when they first transitioned from Bakers Ribs to Roegels. 

I wouldn't be inclined to return to Truth BBQ, and I damn sure wouldn't wait in line for it.  I'm not a big fan of gatlins BBQ, but think the Gatlin's are some seriously nice people.  Blood Brothers has a pretty decent line, and I will go on record firmly that their bbq is not worth waiting for for more than a few minutes tops.  

I would wait in line for Feges.  I would wait in line for Pinkerton.  I would wait in line for Bucks.  I've waited in line for Killen's and would do so again. Anything else, and I'm moving on.  just not worth it.  

Roegels is light years better now than it was right after the transition from Bakers Ribs, actually more like a year after. He must have learned some shit from Jim and others at the Houston BBQ Festival. 

• Like 1

Russell has really elevated his cooking over the past 5-6 years, no doubt. The cool thing about the bbq community is that we’re a pretty tight-knit group and openly share info and support each other. Its had a pretty significant affect on the quality of bbq across the U.S.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Pinkerton's for the first time on Saturday.  We went around 12-12:15 and the line was just outside the door.  By the time we were enjoying our food, the line was down the side of the building.

Great food and will be back.

Brisket, chicken, and turkey are all top notch.  Ran into a buddy that raved the pork ribs are the best he's had, so those are next.

Jalapeno cheese rice was a hit too.

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Went to Pinkerton's for the first time on Saturday.  We went around 12-12:15 and the line was just outside the door.  By the time we were enjoying our food, the line was down the side of the building.

Great food and will be back.

Brisket, chicken, and turkey are all top notch.  Ran into a buddy that raved the pork ribs are the best he's had, so those are next.

Jalapeno cheese rice was a hit too.

If you don't get the andouille and duck jambalaya, why even go? Seriously though, the ribs at Pinkerton's are damn good...and I'm a sucker for their classic Texas chocolate sheet cake when I'm finishing myself out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Picking up the parents at the airport tomorrow(Bush) but I’m going to the woodlands first around 12 or 1 to eat and check out the pga superstore. Any recommendations around the woodlands/spring area? I’m not familiar with that side of town. Thanks. 

Tejas is better than corkscrew. There will be a line by that time and maybe out of some items.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

And if you are willing to drive, Tejas in Tomball. Everything is great but that chili relleno sausage is amazing.

Can confirm. I'd put Tejas at the top of the list of great Houston-area BBQ places. Corkscrew is also great. I haven't had a chance to try some of the others mentioned as I have been living out of Houston for the last few years and only make it back once a year or so. But I am moving back soon and plan to hit up Pinkerton's and Truth as soon as I get back. 

Gatlin's is also great. 

Was at the Pit Room reluctantly Saturday and it was much better than previous trips.  Pork ribs were solid.  Got the fat brisket, and it was pretty solid too - much better than the last few times.  But the Jalapeno Cheese Pork sausage was like a different thing entirely - last time it tasted, well, kinda store-bought.  This time it was really great - the jalapenos were clearly fresh and the cheese didn't taste like it came from a jar.

So either it was just a good day or something's happening there.

• 5 months later...