Hot Springs, AR

Jameslaw121

The town itself is a bit worn out.  There are a couple of decent places for dinner (I recall a basement German place that was fun, along with a good Italian joint), but outside of the big hotel and the hot springs themselves I'd say you should venture out to some of the streams, etc.  If you go north into southern Missouri there are several cool trout hatcheries; I assume there are some in Arkansas as well.  Hiking, boating, etc. -- it's beautiful countryside.

We're staying in a lakefront cabin with the in laws. So, we will have plenty of hiking & fishing. We'll have one night where they watch the kid for us to out. But other than that, looking for kid friendly stuff to do to

Also, already got the pocket knife. Just need some good wood....

McClards BBQ, not for the BBQ but get the half spread (tamale covered with Fritos, BBQ beef, beans, cheese and onions).  I was forced to go their for spring break with the kid a few years ago.  He really enjoyed the crystal mines and digging all day in those.  Also had fun at the kids/science museum.  There is some cheesy magic show downtown that he and the wife liked also.  Only good high end restaurant in town closed 6 months ago so not much great food around there.

We've been up there twice now to pick up kids from Camp Ozark. We went two years ago and stayed at The Arlington. Neat bones but needs a lot of lipstick and updating. We heard that somebody else recently bought it and plans to upgrade the hotel. The area around the hotel is pretty touristy, though that has changed a little bit in the last couple of years. This time we stayed at The Waters had dinner at Grateful Head. The pizza was just OK but it's a really cool building. The Ohio Club is definitely cool but it gets really crowded on the weekends with the live jazz. Pancake Shop is awesome too. The bath houses are fun to walk through and we hiked up to the top of the mountain. Have missed McClard's now twice but I don't think I'm really into tamales drizzled with Frito pie fixin's.

^^^ We actually went to Greatful Head in Broken Bow on our Honeymoon last year. We're planning on stopping there on Tuesday morning on the drive to Arkansas then eat at the one in Hot Springs sometime during the week. My wife absolutely loved the pizza. I thought it was good enough and I like the beers they had. 

The pizza place across from Oaklawn is pretty good and has cheap beer. The Ohio Club is pretty sweet. I like sitting in the lobby bar at the Arlington. The Pancake House is really good breakfast.

Mostly, you will just wonder how awesome it was 60 years ago. It’s a cool place but it was awesome back then. There is great hiking and lake activities. Hot Springs Country Club is good golf if you want to play. 

Going the week of July 4th. Anything can't miss things we should do. We will have my son (4 yo) but MIL & FIL are going to watch him at least one night. 

Creepy how similar this is for our plans.

It’ll be our first time to go. Going with 5 yos. Same time. Visiting parents. Staying at an Airbnb on a lake.

I have a property in hot springs village and we are leaving this afternoon for a week.  we very rarely go into HS proper.  the village is awesome, 9 golf courses, 7 lakes, no crowds.  

-the mid american science museum is pretty cool, if your kids are into that stuff

-rent a boat on the lake, the lakes are freaking beautiful

-float the ouchita river

-magic springs water park...but during the holiday it will be crowded as fuck

-the kid might like the duck boat tour

-mcclards is meh

-via roma is decent italian

-steinhaus is the german place

-if you go up 7 to ouchita, eat at "home plate"...solid

-drive up 7 to the ntl forest on the night of the 3rd and you can watch my firework display.  my BIL and I spend about 4k on fireworks and put on a hellofa show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GottaB said:

Creepy how similar this is for our plans.

It’ll be our first time to go. Going with 5 yos. Same time. Visiting parents. Staying at an Airbnb on a lake.

Well, if you see a 5'8" bald guy with a beard stumbling our of a bar. Just come up and say "Hey, got any scat pics???"

I'll probably have flip flops, cargo shorts and a polo shirt on.

8 minutes ago, chesthair said:

I have a property in hot springs village and we are leaving this afternoon for a week.  we very rarely go into HS proper.  the village is awesome, 9 golf courses, 7 lakes, no crowds.  

-the mid american science museum is pretty cool, if your kids are into that stuff

-rent a boat on the lake, the lakes are freaking beautiful

-float the ouchita river

-magic springs water park...but during the holiday it will be crowded as fuck

-the kid might like the duck boat tour

-mcclards is meh

-via roma is decent italian

-steinhaus is the german place

-if you go up 7 to ouchita, eat at "home plate"...solid

-drive up 7 to the ntl forest on the night of the 3rd and you can watch my firework display.  my BIL and I spend about 4k on fireworks and put on a hellofa show.

I was wondering about HS Village. I couldn't really tell, but is it an actual town or a closed in members only type place. And most importantly, is there any place I could watch the Rangers/Astros game?

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I was wondering about HS Village. I couldn't really tell, but is it an actual town or a closed in members only type place. And most importantly, is there any place I could watch the Rangers/Astros game?

Yes, its a gated community (40 miles of gated community, apparently the largest in the US), property owners can even deer hunt inside the village.  However, you can get vrbo and vacation rentals in there without being a member. Its not a town, although they have their own police, etc.  There is a small town outside the gate (jessieville) which has walmart, cvs and most importantly, FIREWORKS!  

You can watch the Rangers pretty much anywhere...lots of bars, etc.  However, they dont show the astros, cause fuck the astros. 

• Like 2

McClard's is far from meh, and that frito pie tamale chili thing is an abomination. But their que is good. Stubby's is also got some good eats including BBQ. Pizza place across from the racetrack is really good. There is nothing in the village unless you play golf or have/rent a boat. Hike up the mountain behind the bath houses in Hot Springs proper is awesome. If you are driving in and go through Lewisville, AR definitely make a stop at Burges for a smoked turkey sandwich and a peach fried pie. Their smoked tukey is the best I've ever eaten

Real talk...
DeLuca’s Pizza is my favorite pie other than DiFara’s in Brooklyn.  Owner is a transplant from NYC.  His daily dough-making capacity’s limit, so call a day ahead to reserve.  It’s crazy good.

http://delucashotsprings.com/
Great catfish at Mr Whisker's on the east side of town. Get there early though. Place gets slammed. 
Completely agree on both recommendations.

We went in February and stayed at Five Points. Nothing fancy but pretty cool considering the history.

http://www.fivepointslakehamilton.com/

On 6/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, BamaSucks said:

McClard's is far from meh, and that frito pie tamale chili thing is an abomination. But their que is good. Stubby's is also got some good eats including BBQ. Pizza place across from the racetrack is really good. There is nothing in the village unless you play golf or have/rent a boat. Hike up the mountain behind the bath houses in Hot Springs proper is awesome. If you are driving in and go through Lewisville, AR definitely make a stop at Burges for a smoked turkey sandwich and a peach fried pie. Their smoked tukey is the best I've ever eaten

The actual barbecue items (not tamale spread) is good barbecue, especially if you just don’t like tender meat with any of that pesky “smoke flavor”.

Magic Springs today. Not that busy. Never waited for a ride. Kids had a good time but they were toast by 5pm.

As far as dining, we ate at the Purple Cow (50s style diner) and their food was good enough. The shakes were really good.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, BamaSucks said:

Lol at your take on McClards. The only thing worth a shit there is the spread. The bbq is a joke, especially for somebody from Texas.

Im back.  Good times had by all.  gotta, dont eat in the village...last chance is ok and its far and away the best.

Found a new (old) place in HS...the Copper Penny.  Cool old bar scene with solid food.  Also, new place called paradise ice cream directly across the street from the arlington.  good shit.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:51 PM, GottaB said:

Magic Springs today. Not that busy. Never waited for a ride. Kids had a good time but they were toast by 5pm.

As far as dining, we ate at the Purple Cow (50s style diner) and their food was good enough. The shakes were really good.

I loved Magic Springs as a kid. IT was never busy so we could ride the Arkansas Twister over and over again with no wait.

• 1 year later...

Bump. Going to Hot Springs in 2 weeks. Rented a Airbnb on lake Hamilton ( north part of lake). Any COVID recommendations for takeout?  Also any great can’t miss hikes, waterfalls, rivers etc?  Sucks can’t do some of the restaurants and bars proper but looking for any recommendations for beer, liquor, food, outdoor fun etc.  

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, that's a quick little four hour drive from Hot Springs.

I'm sure he appreciates the heads up . . . two years later.

He was going for a week, so it's not unreasonable to expect he might take an overnight excursion.

It does bring up a good point:  I have never seen slower drivers than in rural NW Arkansas.  And, they don't pull over to let faster drivers pass.  It's maddening.

• Like 1