2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

all i know is the repubs were the same situation 4 years ago, 16 candidates to choose from, varying favorites from the various factions, and no telling who would come out the winner.  and after all that they picked trump, and what a disaster he's made of this country.  we could nominate a paper bag and people would vote for that over trump.

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

we could nominate a paper bag and people would vote for that over trump.

Well, some people would.  Others are braindead simpletons.  Oh, but I'm not supposed to make them mad, lest they be forced to vote for him again.  My bad.

Edited by Biff Tannen

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

all i know is the repubs were the same situation 4 years ago, 16 candidates to choose from, varying favorites from the various factions, and no telling who would come out the winner. 

In hindsight the Republican candidates we really awful in 2016.  I mean, Jeb! was the favorite going into it and Ted Cruz came in second who was going to run with Carly Fiorina as VP if he won.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Not really.  Cruz is a creep and Jeb was doomed because of his family name, but Rubio would have been the GOP’s star in most prior election cycles.  Others like Walker, Kasich and Christie were all fine for most election cycles.  The problem was not the candidates, but rather that the electorate wanted talk radio lunatics.   

And Never Trump Republicans were saying all the same things about Trump’s chances that are being said about Biden’s chances now.  

“Any day now his support will collapse!  This embarrassing gaffe is the last straw!”

”He’s only ahead because there are so many candidates splitting the rest of the vote!  He’s never had a true majority!  He is in trouble once it gets down to 4 ... er, 3 ... ahem, well certainly when there are only 2 people left in the race his opponent will be more popular!”

Well, too many of the candidates were too easily identified with the establishment.  Obama portended something other than the establishment, but mostly delivered establishment.  A lot of people were frustrated with what both the right and left had delivered, Trump promised something different.  Plus people are stupid.

But people didn't get really stupid until Trump showed his true colors, then the  Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho effect came out strong.

I've thought Trump was an assclown for 20-plus years.  I tried to set aside my prejudice when all his campaign stuff seemed to ratify my belief and then when he was elected, but I still couldn't vote for him.  I am still a little shocked at what he actually is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think this article is fairly on point re: Booker's struggles in the primary. 

Again, always glad to hear insight on the political left and the 2020 Dem primary from an Iraq war cheerleader.

Very cool that the media class is nothing but the same shit coming from the same losers endlessly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s understood the black vote is going to determine this nomination, which I’m okay with.  However, Biden never had a solid majority of the black vote at anytime so far in this race.  

If the black vote determines the nomination then let me be the first to congratulate President Pete! 

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, too many of the candidates were too easily identified with the establishment.  Obama portended something other than the establishment, but mostly delivered establishment.  A lot of people were frustrated with what both the right and left had delivered, Trump promised something different.  Plus people are stupid.

But people didn't get really stupid until Trump showed his true colors, then the  Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho effect came out strong.

I've thought Trump was an assclown for 20-plus years.  I tried to set aside my prejudice when all his campaign stuff seemed to ratify my belief and then when he was elected, but I still couldn't vote for him.  I am still a little shocked at what he actually is.

If I were convinced that this is what more than half of his voters thought, I wouldn’t be concerned. BUT IM FUCKING CONCERNED. You are not the normal R voter, as far as I can tell. 

Pretty good Left, Right and Center podcast from yesterday -- discusses some of the trends in the Dem side of things -- white women suburbanites as an important and distinct group form progressives and moderate blacks.  How Warren may have overshot the mark.

Does drive home the diversity of the Democratic Party and how much harder it is to thread the needle than on the other side of the aisle.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/left-right-center/pragmatic-but-still-undecided

I remember Sestak. Obama angled a cabinet job to keep him from primarying Specter after he switched from GOP to Dem. Sestak won.

Republicans and Fox News then ran with “impeachable offense!!!!” And Sestak lost to Toomey by 1%. And Toomey is still a Senator. 

Good little Daily podcast today, focusing on the real problem of under insured people.  The issue of under insurance is what really highlights the issues.  Because it affects 90% of all the people with private insurance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/podcasts/the-daily/medicare.html

I have no concept how a low wage earner in my company with my policy would have dealt with my back surgery issues this year.  Spent at least 10K out of pocket and have a bill that is just sitting there (12K) that the insurance company is still "gathering information on".  And that, by the way, unlike all the other surgical services, it's out of network. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Still pretty shocked at how quickly she went from a legitimate front-runner to afterthought.  Wonder if this is a VP play.

definitely could be, as she could slot in with just about anybody and make sense.

word out here is that she saw the possibility of an embarrassing super tuesday and wanted to avoid that.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Still pretty shocked at how quickly she went from a legitimate front-runner to afterthought.  Wonder if this is a VP play.

A front-runner in the minds of dipshit pundits.  I think with Joe in the race she didn't really have a lane considering Joe's superior credentials as the establishment favorite.  

• Like 1