2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

That Biden ad is a great primary ad because it appeals to #RESIST people who might be with Warren or Pete, but it's a losing play in the general. Yes, it hurts Trump's feelings and that's fun, and if the ad was about how much of a crybaby Trump is (and I mean explicitly calling him a "crybaby" or some other insult so the point would actually stick) I would feel differently about it.

But it's a "WE NEED TO BE RESPECTED IN THE WORLD!" ad.

"They're laughing at us" didn't help Kerry in '04.
"Can you imagine how much they'll laugh at us" didn't help Clinton in '16. (It was basically her entire campaign.)
In '08, McCain was the established elder statesman and lost.

Who cares what Justin Trudeau, Emmanuel Macron, or Boris Johnson think?

If we had a candidate that all 3 of those ghouls loved, I would dislike that candidate more.

I WANT a president that Teresa "Austerity" May pulls mean-girl stuff on like skipping a handshake.
I WANT a president that Justin "Blackface & Oil Pipelines" Trudeau thinks is uncool and uncouth.
I WANT a president that Emmanuel "Let Them Eat Cake" Macron finds beneath his standards.

If Biden's campaign thinks the America's working people (ostensibly Biden's base) yearn for a day when Europe's leaders love them, Biden's campaign has no idea what kind of wheat thresher it's walking into.

So use those clips, but say, "And he cried about it like a weak baby, which is what he is. Weak. World leaders mock him and all he does is whine on the Internet, like a 14-year-old girl. Joe would demand a public apology or else Trudeau is getting punched in the mouth."

The answer is not, "These international finance puppets don't like Trump, but they'll like Joe!"

while i agree with much of what you said, i think this was a genius move from biden.

it'll get under trump's skin, which will force more erratic behavior.  that's good for everyone.  it's also good for him, because it's very shareable, fwdable - which is good for the olds.  it's also the type of ad that gets played on cable news, so it's free media for a guy who might have cash flow issues.

biden has been ignoring the field and going hard after trump the entire time.  so far, it's working.

i don't think other instances of "they're laughing at us" are relevant at all.  trump changed the entire game.

Pete talked about how ELITIST it is to tell people they should go to college to succeed. So surely Pete wants to fund trade schools instead, right?

No, he doesn't.

Bernie does, though, because Bernie doesn't fucking suck.

I genuinely think a huge problem here is that Pete's campaign lead is a NY climber psychopath and his national policy director is from Goldman Sachs. These are neoliberal brains running this guy's campaign and for all his airs and self-assurance about his own intelligence, the reality is that he's a baby who has spent more time building his meaningless credentials than doing anything that requires sophistication at a large scale. He runs a city with a slightly lower population than League City.

The Pete Buttigieg that existed last year was speaking out against neoliberal austerity and spoke favorably of universality in programming and of single-payer specifically. Now he talks like he was shat out of the colons of DC think tanks.

The most charitable view I have is that his good will has been compromised by vampires.

It's OK, though, grandma and grandpa will keep him in check.

• Like 6

Lis Smith had a pretty Trumpy afternoon on Twitter after Warren calling him out.

This thread about her is pretty illustrative of who she is.

And then there’s all the gross Spitzer stuff. The fact that she’s the Number One Petesplainer makes me seriously doubt Pete’s judgment.
  • Like 2

If Mayor Pete makes his McKinsey clients public (not sure if this is even feasible in view of the NDA he signed), then Warren absolutely should make her tax returns publicly available.  Why hasn't she done so already?  Hiding something?

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Warren is hiding something in her dental records, I can feel it. 

I don’t think I could produce my tax returns from 20 years ago even if I tried. 

Do you think Liz uses TurboTax to do her taxes?

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t think I could produce my tax returns from 20 years ago even if I tried. 

You can do it in 5 minutes on the IRS' website.

Every candidate should release every year of their working life. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Pete talked about how ELITIST it is to tell people they should go to college to succeed. So surely Pete wants to fund trade schools instead, right?

No, he doesn't.

Bernie does, though, because Bernie doesn't fucking suck.

Does Bernie say where the money is going to come from, being that we're already running trillion dollar deficits?

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Does Bernie say where the money is going to come from, being that we're already running trillion dollar deficits?

So glad you asked! Yes, he does!

The Financial Transactions Tax (FTT) could, in concert with other revenue-raising proposals, raise trillions in revenue to help fund universal college and health insurance, both things we need to have a prosperous and healthy nation for ourselves, our kids, and the generations to come! Things you and I both want as hopeful, neighbor-loving Americans.

So be assured, friend, Bernie wants to spend but he also wants to make sure we are paying for it as a nation where everyone, from the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich, feels unified in their shared responsibility for their fellow man.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQedappX1OrX-xXCiqAShg

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Prof. Stephanie Kelton (a Sanders Economic advisor) explains the "debt" and MMT well. It does require you to question whether Federal deficits and debt and inherently "bad" - but anyone with an open mind is capable of following: 

Malter: How much is too much? The CBO estimates that if things remain unchanged, the debt will be 152 percent of GDP in 2048. That will be the highest in the nation’s history. Is that too much?

Kelton: Let’s remember what the national debt is. The national debt is nothing more than a historical record of all of the dollars that the government spent into the economy and didn’t tax back that are currently being held in the form of safe U.S. Treasurys. That’s what the national debt is. So the question about whether the debt is too big or too small (or whether it might get too big at some point in the future) is really a question about whether that’s too many safe assets for people to hold 10, 20, 50 years from now.

If you think about what happened after World War II, when the U.S. national debt went in excess of 100 percent, close to 125 percent of GDP. If we were talking about it the way we talk about it today as burdening future generations as posing a grave national security risk, we would have to scratch our heads and say, wait a minute. Do we think that our grandparents burdened the next generation with all of those bonds that were sold during World War II to win the war, build the strongest middle class, produce the longest period of peacetime prosperity, the golden age of capitalism, all of that followed in the wake of fighting World War II, increasing deficits, massively increasing the size of the national debt. And of course the next generation inherits those bonds. They don’t become burdens to the next generation. They become their assets.

So it’s impossible really to put a number, nobody can. How much debt is too much debt? If you look at Japan today you see a country where the debt-to-GDP ratio is something like 240 percent. Well above, orders of magnitude above, where the U.S. is today or even where the U.S. is forecast to be in the future. And so, the question is how is Japan able to sustain a debt of that size? Wouldn’t it have an inflation problem? Wouldn’t it lead to rising interest rates? Wouldn’t this be destructive in some way? And the answer to all of those questions, as Japan has demonstrated now for years is simply: No. Japan’s debt is close to 240 percent of GDP — almost a quadrillion, that’s a very big number, yen. Long-term interest rates are very close to zero, there’s no inflation problem. And so despite the size of the debt there are no negative consequences as a result and I think Japan teaches us a really important lesson.

Really, the only potential risk with the national debt increasing over time is inflation and to the extent that you don’t believe the U.S. has a long-term inflation problem you shouldn’t believe that the U.S. is facing a long-term debt problem.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/bernie-sanders-economic-advisor-stephanie-kelton-on-mmt-and-2020-race.html

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Haha 1

I saw a tyt video that cited a California poll where Bernie was at 24% and Warren was at 22% and Biden and Pete were down around 13 and 12% and below the threshold to receive delegates.

It occurred to me that if the right wing Democrats don't get any California delegates except super delegates, it will put the progressive candidates in a great position.

48 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I saw a tyt video that cited a California poll where Bernie was at 24% and Warren was at 22% and Biden and Pete were down around 13 and 12% and below the threshold to receive delegates.

It occurred to me that if the right wing Democrats don't get any California delegates except super delegates, it will put the progressive candidates in a great position.

TYT cherry picked because there’s been a half dozen California polls. In one, Biden is at 13 and in another, he’s at 30. Picking One primary poll to advance a narrative is bad faith. 

Head to head Trump vs Dem polls are the most useless of all the polls out there.  

How can you possible discount that?  I'm sure if I looked at some of your 26k posts (I mean, what the fuck dude...26k??) you have one promoting a head to head poll of Trump when he was down?  That is a fucking disaster for Dems in a pretty important swing state.

• Like 4

Head to head Trump vs Dem polls are the most useless of all the polls out there.  

I tend to agree right now because there are still so many dem candidates. Once it gets down to two candidates though after the initial primaries they IMO can be valuable in measuring independent and strength of support. 

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

How can you possible discount that?  I'm sure if I looked at some of your 26k posts (I mean, what the fuck dude...26k??) you have one promoting a head to head poll of Trump when he was down?  That is a fucking disaster for Dems in a pretty important swing state.

First, head to head polls this far out ignore everything that might arise over the next year. They ignore the Democratic nominee’s campaign against Trump and Trump’s campaign against the nominee.  Both will likely have significant influence on the polls.  Second, head to head polls before a nominee has been declared will almost always favor the people with the most name recognition.  Third, individual state polls are extra hard to conduct with any kind of accuracy or reliability, see also state polls prior to the 2016 election. 

However, there is one piece of information that has some value and that’s Trump’s baseline support right now.  In every head to head poll I’ve seen the democratic nominee has little to no impact on the support for Trump.  Even in this one, with a heavy Trump lean, he’s in the 48-51 margin of error regardless of the Dem nominee.  This leads me to believe the campaign effectiveness of the Democratic nomination will have more say in the outcome of the 2020 election than the name of the democratic candidate. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Are the polls in Pennsylvania and Georgia a disaster for the Donald?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are the polls in Pennsylvania and Georgia a disaster for the Donald?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/

yes?  I expect him to lose all the states that were close (wisky, penn, michigan) that cost Clinton the election.  But I guess if he loses Penn and Georgia and keeps everything else he'd still get...270.  

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You guys are extrapolating from polls published by a conservative PR firm hired by the GOP that used "peer-to-peer text messaging" to conduct the poll?

Ok.

How dare you accuse the GOP of trying to falsely manipulate public opinion!?! You must be one of those Ukrainians who framed Paul manafort and roger rabbit.