2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

Individual Buttigieg donors are asking for their money back. #RefundPete is trending on Twitter. How long before he drops out?  

More importantly, who is the next neoliberal candidate to take a swing at the big time? 

Or will the "chief" of the Democratic Party finally jump in?  Hillary is shaping the battlefield again for a possible surfacing of her campaign.

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Individual Buttigieg donors are asking for their money back. #RefundPete is trending on Twitter. How long before he drops out?  

More importantly, who is the next neoliberal candidate to take a swing at the big time? 

Or will the "chief" of the Democratic Party finally jump in?  Hillary is shaping the battlefield again for a possible surfacing of her campaign.

Yep, just insane how short of a time it was where he surged them came crashing down.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Hillary is low hanging fruit for gullible people that the GOP dupes to raise money. Like @Hugo Stiglitz said, she has not filed anywhere, deadlines have passed, her closest people have gone on record as saying "no."

The Democratic field has not pressured foreign governments to interfere in American elections, unlike the President, so they have that going for them.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

You mean Biden winning the whole thing after some doofus wins Iowa?  

Yeah that's basically what's going to happen.  Harris getting out the race increased Biden's lead with black voters by like, a lot.  That most recent SC poll had him at 51% with her out. 

Y'all kicked out the one person capable of giving him a fight for black voters.  Enjoy voting for Biden in November. 

Is Biden really any worse than Harris?  At least with Biden there is a decent chance he will croak during his first term and maybe his VP is better than either him or Harris.  

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Can you imagine Biden campaigning in 2024?  They'd have to hook him up to a car battery or something.

Someone better than me needs to a WEEKEND AT BIDEN'S photoshop with Tom Perez and the Vice President 

Progressive maximalist

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

538 has a new poll-tracker for the Democratic candidates (can follow by state too).

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/national/

Heroic Progressive Maximalists:

Warren: 15%

Sanders: 17%

Total: 32%

Neo-LIberal Fascist Quislings: 

Klobuchar 2.2%

Bloomberg: 4.7%

The Kwisatz Haderach: 9.6%

Biden: 26.2%

Total: 42.7%

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Progressive maximalist

Heroic Progressive Maximalists:

Warren: 15%

Sanders: 17%

Total: 32%

Neo-LIberal Fascist Quislings: 

Klobuchar 2.2%

Bloomberg: 4.7%

The Kwisatz Haderach: 9.6%

Biden: 26.2%

Total: 42.7%

Bernie Sanders is clearly the Kwisatz Haderwch you stupid motherfucker. He is the culmination of 10,000 years of careful breeding. 

• Like 1

so let me get this straight.  bernie endorses cenk, says he's a voice desperately needed in congress, then retracts it after backlash, but really after cenk says he's not accepting endorsements?  doesn't apologize or explain anything - in fact i swear i saw ro khanna on cnn earlier today defending his - and bernie's - decision to endorse here, but i guess khanna walked it back too.

then i see on a different thread about some bullshit about some anti-semitic narrative, all the while ignoring the history this guy has making horribly sexist statements (and racist, and anti-semitic, and anti-muslim).  and also he's an ex-republican, no?

love the double-standard we got going over here on the surl.  if pete stood next to this guy on the street, you guys would be having a fucking meltdown.  somehow the katie hill situation is starting to suck even more.

for those unaware:

Bernie Sanders retracts endorsement of Californian who defends crude sex ratings of women

Cenk Uygur, host and co-founder of “The Young Turks” online talk show, defended the Harvard University men’s soccer team for rating the sexual appeal of female students.

(Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)

By MICHAEL FINNEGANSTAFF WRITER 

DEC. 13, 2019

3:36 PM

Bernie Sanders withdrew his endorsement of California congressional candidate Cenk Uygur on Friday following reports about the online talk show host making crude and degrading comments about women and provocative statements about Jews, Muslims and other groups.

The Democratic presidential candidate had said Thursday that Uygur, founder and co-host of “The Young Turks” online talk show, is “a voice that we desperately need in Congress” to fill the seat of former Rep. Katie Hill of Santa Clarita. A backlash among Democrats offended by Uygur’s inflammatory comments led the congressional candidate to say Friday that he would no longer accept endorsements, prompting Sanders to withdraw his support, even as he continued to praise him.

“As I said yesterday, Cenk has been a longtime fighter against the corrupt forces in our politics and he’s inspired people all across the country,” the Vermont senator said. “However, our movement is bigger than any one person. I hear my grassroots supporters who were frustrated and understand their concerns. Cenk today said he is rejecting all endorsements for his campaign, and I retract my endorsement.”

Sanders did not specifically address Uygur’s comments about women. His campaign spokesman Mike Casca did not respond to an email asking whether the senator shared the concerns of supporters who were offended by his support for Uygur.

In an episode of his show in 2013, Uygur ranked women on a scale of 1 to 10 on how likely men would be to let them perform oral sex on them.

Uygur also defended the Harvard University men’s soccer team in 2016 for ranking the sexual appeal of female students on a scale of 1 to 10 on a widely shared “scouting report,” including explicit descriptions of potential sex acts with the women.

“We’ve been doing it for as long as humanity has existed, so they put it in a Google doc — not guilty,” said Uygur, who has promoted Sanders on his program.

In 2007, Uygur used the n-word multiple times in a show about Duane “Dog” Chapman after the celebrity bounty hunter used the racial slur.

Uygur, 49, described himself in a telephone interview as a champion for women’s rights who should not be criticized for having “frank conversations about sex” on his show. The problem with the Harvard team’s appraisals of the women, he said, was not that they rated their sex potential; it was that the roster became public.

“I’m not going to be the thought police and police what their private comments were,” he said.

He also said “The Young Turks” used to have a policy to use the n-word epithet when quoting racists in order to mock them, but stopped doing it after complaints from black activists.

Will Rodriguez-Kennedy, president of California Young Democrats, a group that backs Sanders, had called on him to yank the endorsement.

“We think that he doesn’t necessarily reflect the movement that Sen. Sanders has built,” he said.

Mark Gonzalez, chairman of the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, had also called on Sanders to “disavow” Uygur and pull the endorsement. Uygur’s “vulgarity, his hate speech and divisive rhetoric have no place in our party,” Gonzalez said in a Friday statement. The party is likely to endorse one of Uygur’s opponents, Assemblywoman Christy Smith of Santa Clarita, on Saturday.

Another Uygur supporter, Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Fremont), stood by him on Friday morning, but denounced the talk show host’s behavior and said he should apologize. Still, Uygur’s commitment to Medicare for all, free public college and ending U.S. involvement in wars abroad “is why so many progressives rallied around him,” Khanna said.

After Sanders pulled his endorsement, Khanna followed suit.

Shortly before Sanders reversed course, Uygur released a statement Friday saying he appreciates that supporters endorsed him “in the face of the corporate media and Democratic establishment onslaught.”

“I will not be beholden to corporations, lobbyists or special interest groups, and I will not stand by while those groups attack my political allies,” he said. “That’s why I have decided that I will not be accepting any endorsements.”

Sanders apologized in January after accusations emerged of sexism, sexual harassment and pay discrimination by male supervisors in his 2016 presidential campaign.

Bernie Sanders retracted his endorsement of Cenk Uygur for the House seat vacated by former Democratic Rep. Katie Hill of Santa Clarita.

He initially told CNN that he’d been unaware of complaints in his 2016 campaign. “I was a little bit busy running around the country trying to make the case,” he said.

Days later, amid mounting criticism, he was more forceful. “What they experienced was absolutely unacceptable and certainly not what a progressive campaign or any campaign should be about,” he said.

Last week, the Sanders campaign severed ties with staff member Darius Khalil Gordon after the Washington Free Beacon published anti-Semitic and homophobic slurs that it said were from his Twitter feed.

A former Republican, Uygur is now one of the Democrats vying in California’s March 3 election to represent the state’s 25th Congressional District, which covers Simi Valley, Porter Ranch, Santa Clarita, Palmdale and part of Lancaster. Hill, a Democrat, resigned in November amid accusations that she’d had affairs with congressional and campaign staff members. Uygur lives in West L.A., 30 miles outside the district.

California’s Democratic establishment has lined up behind Smith, the assemblywoman. Her supporters include Gov. Gavin Newsom, Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Republicans in the race include former Rep. Steve Knight, who was ousted last year by Hill, and George Papadopoulos, an advisor to President Trump’s 2016 campaign who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI in the Russia scandal.

Many of his most provocative remarks have been compiled in video snippets posted on Twitter in recent weeks by a New York Democratic activist, M. Mendoza Ferrer, who is unaffiliated with any presidential campaign. She said it seemed Uygur had built his online platform denigrating women and others, and now that he’s a Democrat running for Congress it bothered her that his audience of mainly young men was tuning in.

“Once this stuff came to light, anybody would be sort of horrified,” she said. “I was horrified.”

The clips she unearthed included a 2012 segment of “The Young Turks” in which he said conservative Orthodox Jewish men and Muslim women in heavy religious attire were “wasting their lives.”

Uygur, who was raised Muslim and now describes himself as agnostic, said Thursday that he was referring to fundamentalists, and he’s offended they think he “will rot in hell.”

“I believe the things they believe are not correct, yes,” he said. “If they want to spend their whole lives following an ideology that I don’t believe is correct, that’s on them.”

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-12-12/bernie-sanders-endorses-cenk-uygur-young-turks

Just now, henrygandorf said:

so let me get this straight.  bernie endorses cenk, says he's a voice desperately needed in congress, then retracts it after backlash, but really after cenk says he's not accepting endorsements?  doesn't apologize or explain anything - in fact i swear i saw ro khanna on cnn earlier today defending his - and bernie's - decision to endorse here, but i guess khanna walked it back too.

then i see on a different thread about some bullshit about some anti-semitic narrative, all the while ignoring the history this guy has making horribly sexist statements (and racist, and anti-semitic, and anti-muslim).  and also he's an ex-republican, no?

love the double-standard we got going over here on the surl.  if pete stood next to this guy on the street, you guys would be having a fucking meltdown.  somehow the katie hill situation is starting to suck even more.

for those unaware:

Cenk Uygur is an Armenian Genocide denier.

Fuck him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

for those unaware:

1. Be prepared to see a LOT of anti-semitic shit against Bernie given how well the media took to that narrative against Labour in the UK.

2. Cenk over a decade ago made some awful sexist blog posts that he apologized repeatedly for. He deleted them and resigned a position on the Justice Democrats a few years ago when they were dug up. Right wing trolls dug them up again after that to attack him as they are now even though you literally have women that worked for him at TYT saying he was nothing but a respectful person.

If Warren can be a Republican and forgiven for her sins, why on earth should someone be held to a standard where posting something many years ago disqualifies him @Bama Chick

Pete Buttigieg's campaign ran an e-mail scam on black people in South Carolina to lie about their minority support.

Keep trying, henry

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Cenk Uygur is an Armenian Genocide denier.

Fuck him.

Nope.

He was an Armenian genocide denier 20 years ago. (He's very dumb.) He isn't anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

I recommend not following Cenk or paying attention to him or watching TYT. You'll get better insight other places and he's annoying personally. But we don't need to lie about him.

9 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

1. Be prepared to see a LOT of anti-semitic shit against Bernie given how well the media took to that narrative against Labour in the UK.

2. Cenk over a decade ago made some awful sexist blog posts that he apologized repeatedly for. He deleted them and resigned a position on the Justice Democrats a few years ago when they were dug up. Right wing trolls dug them up again after that to attack him as they are now even though you literally have women that worked for him at TYT saying he was nothing but a respectful person.

If Warren can be a Republican and forgiven for her sins, why on earth should someone be held to a standard where posting something many years ago disqualifies him @Bama Chick

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Pete Buttigieg's campaign ran an e-mail scam on black people in South Carolina to lie about their minority support.

Keep trying, henry

Nope.

He was an Armenian genocide denier 20 years ago. (He's very dumb.) He isn't anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

I recommend not following Cenk or paying attention to him or watching TYT. You'll get better insight other places and he's annoying personally. But we don't need to lie about him.

There's still the little problem with the ongoing name of his show.

His defense of that is lame, so lame he actually brings up Rod Stewart on the reg.

What's your actual concern about the name? Do you believe it's a network of genocide deniers and anti-Armenian racists?

When you're concern trolling against people like this, it's helpful to interrogate your own motivations so you know exactly who you are fighting for. #Cancel is a weapon, why is it being used here?

What are you guys worried about happening? Cenk is largely responsible for the establishment of the Justice Democrats, which is the most impressive, inspirational, diverse, and progressive coalition active within mainstream American politics.

Look at the Justice Democrats incumbent list, for fuck's sake.

So let's just go ahead and get to the point with this. Cenk is kind of a dumbass. He used to be an edgy right-wing dumbass a couple of decades ago. Yes, we know.

Is there a concern about Cenk today? Within the last 10 years?

If there is momentum greater than a few idiots on Twitter for a "the only Jewish candidate is an anti semite!!" wave of idiocy then we are totally fucked as a country and probably species. Good lord.

It's such dreck and duncery that Trump will undoubtedly run with it and 30% of our country will be fully convinced that Bernie Sanders, a Jew, hates Jews.

Imma start drinking now.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If there is momentum greater than a few idiots on Twitter for a "the only Jewish candidate is an anti semite!!" wave of idiocy then we are totally fucked as a country and probably species. Good lord.

If Bernie starts taking the race over (does really well in Iowa and/or NH) then the right-wing will start pushing this and the centrist #RESIST crowd will uncritically pick it up as well.

But...

1) Biden is probably going to win so it's kind of academic
2) We absolutely are fucked as a country and species

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If Bernie starts taking the race over (does really well in Iowa and/or NH) then the right-wing will start pushing this and the centrist #RESIST crowd will uncritically pick it up as well.

But...

Okay, commie brisket.

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

But...

Have we ever not been fucked as a country and species?

The Bernie anti-Semitism thing is already at a point where he's ~*~*~associated~*~*~ with people that other people have ~*~*~concerns~*~*~ about.

- There are no claims that Bernie himself is anti-Semitic.
- There are no credible claims that Bernie's staff or surrogates are anti-Semitic.
- There are no claims that Bernie's policies are anti-Semitic.

So what we're going to see is NYTimes or WaPo saying, "some are claiming that they are concerned about the allegations of anti-Semitics others have made about surrogates of the Bernie Sanders campaign...", basically 3-4 layers deep of opaque ~*~*~ concern ~*~*~.

All it take is the first person, no matter how insane, to say, "BERNIE HATES JEWS!" then the corporate press feels allowed to run with, "Is Bernie's campaign anti-Semitic? Some say it might be true!"

I posted plenty of gross stuff about Cenk that is from the last four years in the Bernie thread, so I won’t do it again here.

But I do love a bunch of Bros assuring me I’m just ill-informed on what I find sexist and misogynistic.

And I’m sure we could find a couple of women who would defend Matt Lauer and Bill O’Reilly and Charlie Rose. The anecdotal defenses of a a few women mean jackshit to me when I can listen to the bullshittery he spews.

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

But I do love a bunch of Bros assuring me I’m just ill-informed on what I find sexist and misogynistic.

You know who else finds those words sexist and misogynistic?

Cenk Uygur

"First of all, I wrote that stuff 19 years ago; I deleted it 15 years ago," Uygur told CNN host Chris Cuomo during an on-set interview. "I deleted it not because I thought I'd get caught or someone would find it, I deleted it because I didn't believe it anymore. This is not me. I was trying to be a stupid, politically incorrect Republican. So I wrote these things I knew were offensive."

“The stuff I wrote back then was really insensitive and ignorant,” Uygur said. “If you read that today, what I wrote 18 years ago, and you’re offended by it, you’re 100 percent right. And anyone who is subjected to that material, I apologize to. And I deeply regret having written that stuff when I was a different guy.”

And I’m sure we could find a couple of women who would defend Matt Lauer and Bill O’Reilly and Charlie Rose. The anecdotal defenses of a a few women mean jackshit to me when I can listen to the bullshittery he spews.

O'Reilly, Lauer, and Rose: Rape and sexual assault

Ugyur: Edgy moron blog posts

5y5qi0gwu2ln9h5241gz1.gif

5 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

So yeah, the women he hired and turned over the TYT to are clearly misguided and not to be listened to.

Ana Kasparian is someone who loves to give in to men and apologize for creeps. She's very meek. She doesn't disagree or argue with Cenk at all. Subservient all the way.