2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

23 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And he'll be gone some day. Never create a strategy that only focuses on the immediate threat. I hope that party does't try to "win the battle" but lose the war. Trumpism will die off soon enough.

Obviously he'll never leave and he'll kill his disadents once he declares himself king. Trumpism is here forever, the people on here say so.

I don't understand why attribute him being the dumbest yet smartest man at the same time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Today, in things I thought I’d never type -

Fuck yeah, Tom Steyer!!!!

Part of the problem is that Republicans do not hold themselves out as being open to compromise. There is no point in asking why they can't work with Democrats because being a Republican means you do not work with Democrats. Working with Democrats is failure.

I honestly think that's more old white Republican voters turning out, maybe not all necessarily trying to vote for Bernie for chaos, but doesn't really mean Pete is the one who gets an unexpected bump. Absentee ballots are generally only older voters, and I can't imagine there's a huge change in heart amongst the older white crowd in South Carolina (I grew up right next to the SC border and am fairly familiar with it) to no longer vote GOP .

Edited by GSU&UT

6 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Holy shit, i missed where Trump, in Charleston, last night basically asked his supporters to go out and vote for Bernie in the primary today.

I voted for the Bern in the Texas primary. A course, I bypassed the rest of the loons on the ballot until I got to the propositions. You can't write comedy better than that....

Come on Bern, you can do this...

Yeah, Warren needs to drop out I’m afraid.

I always assumed that whichever dropped out first - Warren or Sanders - would mean their supporters would go to the other.

Now I’m not so sure.

This primary has made for some strange bedfellows and lots of hurt feelings and bitterness.

I don't really know what her thought is here, does she really think anyone in the establishment likes her enough to risk a brokered convention for her? What? Why the fuck would they set their party on fire for her when they could just let Bernie win and sabotage him during his presidency and say, "Look, see? You progressives had your chance!"?

They're not going to ratfuck Bernie for you, Liz. They'll definitely do it for Joe, and maybe for Bloomberg or even Amy, but they don't like you, Liz. They never will.

We could've worked together. We could've gotten shit done.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm back on the Biden Train for Tuesday. Not great by any stretch but maybe the only one that can beat Bernie (and have a shot at Trump).

the sooner the race becomes Bernie vs Biden, the better for Biden.  If Bloomberg, Mayor Pete, & Klobs stay in the race beyond Super Tuesday that benefits Bernie.

If Warren, Amy and Pete don’t get something on Tuesday to show some upside, the Democrat party needs to tell them to shut it down. Even to a point of setting the bar much higher for any debates. They shouldn’t just remain hoping for a miracle or a contested convention where they think they can be the compromise candidate with a small percent of delegates.

if Bloomberg does poorly on Tuesday I think he drops in terms as a candidate but I think he does well enough to continue. 

Super Tuesday is in three days. The time for shaping the battlefield has passed. There are no more debates before then. 

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina were the amuse bouche. The Porterhouse is off the heat and resting. It’s time to dine - ready or not. 

He Hasn’t Been Here’: Why Joe Biden Lags in Super Tuesday States

Joseph R. Biden Jr. is counting on a victory in South Carolina to revive his candidacy. But a daunting challenge awaits next week in states where he has limited resources.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/politics/joe-biden-california-super-tuesday.amp.html

From the bottom of my heart, Cleatus, I want to thank you for your support over the past eight months through this presidential race. I am so deeply inspired by how many dedicated Americans showed up to participate in our democracy — voting in the early states, volunteering countless hours, giving your all to support the candidates and values you believe in.

Tonight, I have decided to suspend my campaign for President of the United States. I no longer see a path to the presidency. But I have always said that win, lose, or draw, I am in this fight. So am I going to continue to work on the issues that got me into this race? Yes, I am. You can count on that.

Namely, the existential threat of climate change we’re facing on this planet. The racial injustice that pervades every single policy issue in this country. An economy that actually puts people ahead of profits and big corporations.

We had a very steep hill to climb. We knew it would be difficult to come into this race as an outsider, speaking difficult truths. And of course I am disappointed to suspend my campaign — these aren’t the results we hoped and fought so hard for — but I will wake up tomorrow energized by this incredible community. I am humbled to be on your team.

This primary is a journey towards the necessary defeat of Donald Trump and his corrupt administration. It is because of patriotic Americans like you that we will beat him and put power back in the hands of the people.

Before I sign off, let me say this: When the Lord closes a door, He opens a window. I will find that window, and I will crawl through it with you. 

Yours sincerely, 
tomsign.png

just some realness to the recent news from Tom.

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

god why can’t old white men just follow instructions?

I know quite a few people who live in solid red or solid blue states who will crossover to vote for local candidates where the locality only has one functioning party on the local level. For some places, the primary is the general election for local officials. I have no problem with that.

But we will have slags, like the guy cactusflinthead pointed out. He is a "boon chon doi" for Trump. Same for any "kisama tama" who voted for Bernie thinking he was helping the orange peel in charge. 

Democracy is precious. Don't do it. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Sanders team first out of the gate with some serious numbers from February's filing.

$46.5M from 2.2M donations and 350k new donors seems pretty good.

$4.5M raised Saturday (good way to blunt a loss)

100% grassroots
No big money fundraisers
No bundlers
No dark money billionaire SuperPACs

I've got no strings
So I have fun
I'm not tied up to anyone
They've got strings
But you can see
There are no strings on me
  • Like 1

Here is the thing I keep thinking about Bloomberg— how much of his money is paper money — I.e. in the markets?

if a pissant like me lost $40k on paper in 7 days due to corona wipeout, can you imagine his paper losses? He needs to quit wasting money trolling Trump and use that money to buy interests at a big discount and make money— so I think that’s gonna drive his decision to drop out after Tuesday more than anything.

Edited by Rougarou

Here is the thing I keep thinking about Bloomberg— how much of his money is paper money — I.e. in the markets?
if a pissant like me lost $40k on paper in 7 days due to corona wipeout, can you imagine his paper losses? He needs to quit wasting money trolling Trump and use that money to buy interests at a big discount and make money— so I think that’s gonna drive his decision to drop out after Tuesday more than anything.

His wealth is in his ownership of Bloomberg LP, which is based on what people pay to have real time market data. If anything, the value of what his company provides went up last week.

The last I put odds on who actually got the nomination (months ago at this point):
Biden - 40%
Bernie - 25%
Warren - 20%
Field - 15%

Today's Guess:
Biden - 60%
Bernie - 30%
Field - 10%

(On who has the most delegates going in, VERY different: Bernie 75%, Biden 15%, Field 10%)

Warren initially pitched herself as the bridge between Bernie and Biden. She has already lost her Biden-side support so her only practical function now is to keep voters that would otherwise go to Bernie.

Going to be a very depressing storyline going forward as Biden finishes a close enough 2nd to Bernie in delegates going into the convention that it is safe to coronate Biden in the 2nd round as my fellow Bros and I protest uselessly in the streets of Milwaukee and Warren gets nothing out of Biden in return. No VP slot. No fed chair. Not even the head of CFPB. Might even lose her Senate seat.

Nevertheless, She Persisted!