2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

More than a few of these people will die for the honor of voting for someone who does not give a single fuck about them.  I thought most people in their 50s, 60s were still fairly sharp, but maybe aging really does just destroy your ability to think.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

More than a few of these people will die for the honor of voting for someone who does not give a single fuck about them.  I thought most people in their 50s, 60s were still fairly sharp, but maybe aging really does just destroy your ability to think.  

Yeah, like when they were willing to throw people in jail for voting. Or kill them for coming down to Mississippi to register people to vote. Or beat the shit out of them for voting. No precedence at all for facing your fear to vote.

27 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yeah, like when they were willing to throw people in jail for voting. Or kill them for coming down to Mississippi to register people to vote. Or beat the shit out of them for voting. No precedence at all for facing your fear to vote.

Are you comparing freedom riders with people voting for a guy who was an unabashed segregationist and eulogized Strom Thurmond at his funeral?  

Edited by Fozzz

37 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Are you OK?

[edit]

I do respect the continuity, though, of the Democratic Party elites being the ones responsible for all the dangers you are talking about.

Edited by bad_teammate

5 years ago 

“They characterize the senator as rude, short-tempered and, occasionally, downright hostile. Though Sanders has spent much of his life fighting for working Vermonters, they say he mistreats the people working for him,” Heintz wrote. Among those he cited was Steve Rosenfeld, Sanders' press secretary during his 1990 House campaign, and author of “In Making History in Vermont.”

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/the-trouble-with-bernie,4622

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

So who should be on Joe Biden's shortlist for the VP slot?

Warren would be extremely logical but her situation of having a GOP Governor selecting her temporary successor seems like a non-starter in this climate.

Harris will get a lot of noise and she's more progressive than Joe and obviously a high profile female and minority senator.  She also ran a technically awful campaign and offers no benefit regionally.  Also, would having both on the ticket open their flank on crime, as both have had their issues.

Klobacher will be on it.  She's from a swing state and chews the same ground as a moderate Dem as Joe.  She's doesn't poll well with minorities and Dems may be worried about another candidate's ability to win the Senate seat in the swing state.

Cortez Masto is young and more progressive than Joe.  She's a female minority from a swing state and much needed demographic which Joe struggled with.  She also has almost no national profile and doesn't speak Spanish.

Whitmer is a rising star in the party from a swing state.  She recently said she'd rather serve her term and apparently Bernie Bros don't love her.  

Others:  Abrams, Lujan-Grisham, Demmings, Rice, Baldwin and Duckworth.

• Like 3

what's the knock on demmings?  i only know her from the impeachment, but she was awesome and checks most of the boxes.

ideally you'd like to get someone "presidential" on either biden or bernie's ticket, because of obvious old-man reasons, though i'm not sure who fits that bill.  kamala probably because she actually ran for president and seems like the adult in the room at least some of the time.

whomever it is will be the presumptive nominee in '24, so it would be nice to make this pick count.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warren would be extremely logical but her situation of having a GOP Governor selecting her temporary successor seems like a non-starter in this climate.

Harris will get a lot of noise and she's more progressive than Joe and obviously a high profile female and minority senator.  She also ran a technically awful campaign and offers no benefit regionally.  Also, would having both on the ticket open their flank on crime, as both have had their issues.

Klobacher will be on it.  She's from a swing state and chews the same ground as a moderate Dem as Joe.  She's doesn't poll well with minorities and Dems may be worried about another candidate's ability to win the Senate seat in the swing state.

Cortez Masto is young and more progressive than Joe.  She's a female minority from a swing state and much needed demographic which Joe struggled with.  She also has almost no national profile and doesn't speak Spanish.

Whitmer is a rising star in the party from a swing state.  She recently said she'd rather serve her term and apparently Bernie Bros don't love her.  

Others:  Abrams, Lujan-Grisham, Demmings, Rice, Baldwin and Duckworth.

Klobuchar and Harris are the favorites by a mile unless someone else from this pack (Abrams, Warren, Duck, Whit) emerge 

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5883/Who-will-win-the-2020-Democratic-vice-presidential-nomination

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warren would be extremely logical but her situation of having a GOP Governor selecting her temporary successor seems like a non-starter in this climate

I wanted Warren as POTUS, and so obviously I also like the idea of her as VP, but I totally agree her Senate seat is more valuable.

As for Duckworth, as an immigrant, can she be VP?  Either way, I think Biden should steer clear of picking any senator.

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I wanted Warren as POTUS, and so obviously I also like the idea of her as VP, but I totally agree her Senate seat is more valuable.

As for Duckworth, as an immigrant, can she be VP?  Either way, I think Biden should steer clear of picking any senator.

Interesting question about duckworth. The whole naturalized citizen question has never really been defined so who knows. Cruz and McCain have shown that being born outside of the hard borders of the US doesn’t matter.

and we all know Obama was born in Indonesia to Ghanaian and Egyptian parents who spent their entire lives in Russia. Or something like that. 

• Like 1

I posted the article a few pages back - but Jim Clyburn has said, when asked about possible VP choices, that its time the democratic party give something back to the most loyal members of the party (AA Women).    I don't think he gives Joe Biden his endorsement without some assurances from Biden that his VP pick will represent that most loyal group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Warren on the ticket is the difference between winning and losing the election, then no, her senate seat is not more valuable. 

But it's likely not.... while having her on may be a benefit on policy and she's probably the best overall candidate, VP's rarely have any large or attributable benefit overall in the country.  Additionally their impact on their region or home state is limited with 2% benefit being on the high end posited by Silver (a lot think they give less than 1% benefit).  They almost always are from a different part of the country as well.  I don't think Warren will be the pick unless Biden made a deal for her to pull out or starts really lagging with the progressive vote.  Also, older candidates like Biden almost always pick a "fresh face" or young VP candidate but they all had federal government experience.  So look for someone who is from a different part of the country, may help in a battleground state on the margins, and is a younger (basically everyone for Joe) Fed congressmen or Senator.  That cuts out Warren and Harris doesn't bring any state benefit.  That puts Klobuchar, Baldwin, Demings, Duckworth, and Cortez Masto on the historical probable short list.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I posted the article a few pages back - but Jim Clyburn has said, when asked about possible VP choices, that its time the democratic party give something back to the most loyal members of the party (AA Women).    I don't think he gives Joe Biden his endorsement without some assurances from Biden that his VP pick will represent that most loyal group.

I didn't know Clyburn cared so much about women in recovery.  

• Like 1