2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

Just now, David Dennison said:

He's not running against Bernie Sanders.

According to math, Democratic primary rules, and Bernie Sanders himself, this isn't true.

But if you can do more than troll, David, can you help me understand what our future nominee means when he says, "we should get on with this"?

Is he proposing the end of the 2020 primaries? Is he calling for cancelling the nomination convention or moving the date?

TBC: there aren’t anymore debates scheduled.  Bernie is trying the bully a party he’s not a member of into giving him a 12th opportunity to convince Democrats to consider his candidacy. To lead their party. Which he’s not a member of. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

According to math, Democratic primary rules, and Bernie Sanders himself, this isn't true.

But if you can do more than troll, David, can you help me understand what our future nominee means when he says, "we should get on with this"?

Is he proposing the end of the 2020 primaries? Is he calling for cancelling the nomination convention or moving the date?

No. But it's a complete waste of time for Democrats to debate each other when we know who is going to be running against Donald Trump in November. Bernie Sanders should start campaigning for Biden instead of debating him.

49 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Is Joe proposing that we cancel all future primaries here? Or is just wanting to remain unchallenged?

this is a little confusing.  was the question about whether he'd participate in a 12th primary or 12th debate?  because his answer sounds like debate, but your comment is about whether joe wants primaries cancelled.  is this a weigel typo/mixup?

as for primaries - you don't really "participate" in them, and it's not like it's joe's call whether to hold them, postpone them, or cancel them.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He's clearly saying cancel the debates which b_t knows. The "just asking questions here" is as disingenuous as when the right does it. 

every ~ambiguous pull quote from left twitter always seems to land on the side of bashing biden/cnn/msnbc/dem establishment.  such a weird coincidence.

still looking for clarification on why the dnc was able to cancel the ohio primary.  oh well.

43 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

TBC: there aren’t anymore debates scheduled.  Bernie is trying the bully a party he’s not a member of into giving him a 12th opportunity to convince Democrats to consider his candidacy. To lead their party. Which he’s not a member of. 

Bully?

We're in the middle of a global pandemic and trying to decide who is going to run against a godawful piece of shit incumbent; if our champion can't handle one sparring match every 2-3 weeks what the fuck are we expecting once he's nominated?

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No. But it's a complete waste of time for Democrats to debate each other when we know who is going to be running against Donald Trump in November. Bernie Sanders should start campaigning for Biden instead of debating him.

What is Biden busy with that is more important than continuing to compete in an ongoing primary? What "time" is being wasted?

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

because his answer sounds like debate, but your comment is about whether joe wants primaries cancelled. 

He says he will debate, but there shouldn't be debates, and that "we should get on with this", which... I don't know.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He's clearly saying cancel the debates which b_t knows. The "just asking questions here" is as disingenuous as when the right does it. 

I'm not ready to become the flipside of the MAGA coin where we are telling people, "Hey, it's OK that our senile liar of a leader isn't making sense. You can't take him literally, you have to kind of feel your way around to what the truth is."

I'm sure you are, but it might take more time for me to give up completely on any hope of competent leadership.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He says he will debate, but there shouldn't be debates, and that "we should get on with this", which... I don't know.

i didn't see the interview.  was the question about the 12th primary or the 12th debate?  (yes, i know there have already been more than 12 primaries).

From the article:
The package was deadlocked after Senate Democrats blocked the measure, 47-47, claiming it didn’t do enough for workers and health care providers.

That's why Bernie didn't fly to DC to risk infection during a pandemic. It was a procedural fait accompli.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

From the article:
The package was deadlocked after Senate Democrats blocked the measure, 47-47, claiming it didn’t do enough for workers and health care providers.

That's why Bernie didn't fly to DC to risk infection during a pandemic. It was a procedural fait accompli.

don't you just hate misleading twitter headlines?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

every ~ambiguous pull quote from left twitter always seems to land on the side of bashing biden/cnn/msnbc/dem establishment.  such a weird coincidence.

still looking for clarification on why the dnc was able to cancel the ohio primary.  oh well.

The DNC didn't cancel the primary. The Republican governor postponed it. As far as a week back the DNC was saying do not cancel primaries and switch to absentee or by mail balloting. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/488111-dnc-calls-on-states-not-to-postpone-primaries

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/politics/virus-primary-2020-ohio.html

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

The DNC didn't cancel the primary. The Republican governor postponed it. As far as a week back the DNC was saying do not cancel primaries and switch to absentee or by mail balloting. 

the republican gov tried to postpone it, but the courts struck it down, saying it basically had to happen as scheduled.  the ohio democratic party called bullshit, and said they have every right to vote safely (or vote at all, for that matter).  for now, they have to just send votes in, as i think the deadline was extended for mail-in ballots. 

i know the dnc didn't cancel the primary, i was fucking with bt because he misrepresented what was going on with some shitposting last week, implying that biden/the dnc was fighting to keep it in place.  when i called him out on it, he changed the subject.

some people need to play little games.  he plays his.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bernie did well in the first 11 debates.  i think that's the bigger point here.

That’s what I mean. Democrat voters have seen enough of the candidates to know how they feel.  And they pretty strongly expressed that at the ballot box to date.

It's very true that Bernie is losing and that, if something dramatic does not change, he will certainly lose. It's also true that the global pandemic has made future voters far more conservative in their positions and less likely to want to take a risk. If anything, my bet is that Biden's position is stronger because of the virus than it would be without it.

Regardless, there is literally no way for us to "get on with this."

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

That’s what I mean. Democratic voters have seen enough of the candidates to know how they feel.  And they pretty strongly expressed that at the ballot box to date.

Fixed for anti-MAGA.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And he's getting his clock cleaned. 

This is very true. Very very true.

It's hard, almost impossible really, for the good guys to win sometimes.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's hard, almost impossible really, for the good guys to win sometimes.

wait til november.  should be a good time for the house and senate, and hey, we might even get somebody who's probably marginally better than trump to be president.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

wait til november.  should be a good time for the house and senate, and hey, we might even get somebody who's probably marginally better than trump to be president.

Only marginally though.  I mean really, we should probably just re-elect him.

tenor.gif?itemid=5344726

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

How confident were you going into November of 2016?

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hey BT. It’s over. Move on.

From what to what?

Is history going to just end now, Fukuyama?

Just now, bad_teammate said:

How confident were you going into November of 2016?

well i hate hillary, so confidence wasn't really on the menu.  i thought she'd win, as did most.

do you think it's going to be bad for the house and senate?  i don't see the dems losing the house, and we got a decent shot at the senate, but it'll be close.  maybe a couple dirty senators will resign before then.

and i said biden might win.  i'm not over-confident, but i feel pretty good.

So, B_T, what are you going to do? More of the same (phone bank for the squad/DSA candidates, donate, etc.) or anything different? Any lessons learned? What can make 2024 more effective, if you start right now?

I'm honestly curious. Either the DSA/progressives-like-you/BernieBro's either disperse and back various fiefdoms born online or they move en masse to another who can get them over the hump, or they just expire on the vine, a la The Tea Party or other niche movements that break through for a bit before inertia takes over. 

30 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

do you think it's going to be bad for the house and senate?

It absolutely could be, yes.

If more women come forward with stories about Joe Biden shoving them up against the wall and shoving his fingers inside their vaginas while he gives rambling interviews where his voice quavers like an old man yes, this could be a fucking nightmare scenario where Trump not only wins re-election, but firms up the Senate and threatens the House. Especially if the current trend continues with regard to Corona where Joe just completely cedes the territory to Donald and Donald gets to make himself the center of the show.

I have no faith or confidence in either Joe Biden or the Democratic party power establishment.

21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

So, B_T, what are you going to do? More of the same (phone bank for the squad/DSA candidates, donate, etc.) or anything different? Any lessons learned? What can make 2024 more effective, if you start right now?

Depends on what you mean by "more effective."

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It absolutely could be, yes.

If more women come forward with stories about Joe Biden shoving them up against the wall and shoving his fingers inside their vaginas while he gives rambling interviews where his voice quavers like an old man yes, this could be a fucking nightmare scenario where Trump not only wins re-election, but firms up the Senate and threatens the House. Especially if the current trend continues with regard to Corona where Joe just completely cedes the territory to Donald and Donald gets to make himself the center of the show.

so you think people exist that were all set to vote for joe biden, but decide to switch to trump + straight ticket republican because of biden's supposed bad treatment of women and his inability to express his thoughts clearly?

thanks buddy, i needed that. 

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so you think people exist that were all set to vote for joe biden, but decide to switch to trump + straight ticket republican because of biden's supposed bad treatment of women and his inability to express his thoughts clearly? 

We have a lot of fun, henry, but you know how childish these premises are.

You and I both know the election will hinge on turnout, independent voters, and traditional non-voters.

Trump's winning play:
- Depress Dem turnout
- Hold evenish with independents
- Keep non-voters uninterested

We have a lot of fun, henry, but you know how childish these premises are.

You and I both know the election will hinge on turnout, independent voters, and traditional non-voters.

Trump's winning play:
- Depress Dem turnout
- Hold evenish with independents
- Keep non-voters uninterested

he also needs a strong economy to point to, and he'll want several months of hammering swing states with social media spam and klan rallies.

if black people and women vote for biden (more than they voted for hillary) then it's all over but the crying.

sexual assault stories and verbal gaffes will have zero impact.  it be like that sometimes.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

he also needs a strong economy to point to, and he'll want several months of hammering swing states with social media spam and klan rallies.

if black people and women vote for biden (more than they voted for hillary) then it's all over but the crying.

sexual assault stories and verbal gaffes will have zero impact.  it be like that sometimes.

Are women more likely to turn out for sexually-assaultin' Joe than they were for Hillary? I think he'll get improved black turnout, but Hillary did better with blacks in 2016 than Joe has so far, and Trump has targeted the black vote (both in terms of attracting them and suppressing them).

He's a bad candidate. Voters in the upcoming Democratic primaries should make a better choice.

Not likely to happen, but wagging a finger at the left while pretending it's all OK was a bad strategy in 2016 and it's a bad strategy now.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

People who voted for Trump in 2016 who would vote for Biden as the Dem nominee because they don't like Trump's performance.

So the white suburbs?

Are women more likely to turn out for sexually-assaultin' Joe than they were for Hillary?

it's not about joe or hillary, it's about trump.  beating trump is the #1 issue for democratic voters.  it's what they care about.

go ahead and toss your old charts and graphs.  they don't matter anymore.