2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

38 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's not about joe or hillary, it's about trump.  beating trump is the #1 issue for democratic voters.  it's what they care about.

go ahead and toss your old charts and graphs.  they don't matter anymore.

Oh I know that's what they care about. I'm wondering about the independent voters and traditional non-voters. What is Joe offering them?

33 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ha. Yeah, you might want to try to win some of those people back. Bernie for damn sure isn't the person who will do that, which we've already seen. 

So for every person we lose in the blue-collar areas we gain two in the suburbs?

Good strategy!

23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

More effective, meaning, win the hearts and minds of not just the youth/online/loud-minority, but win at the polling booth.

The presidency isn't the only thing that matters. I know for those who only follow this for the horse-race that the singular election of a president is all that matters, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Oh I know that's what they care about. I'm wondering about the independent voters and traditional non-voters.

trump has been underwater with ind voters since he won.  i don't think i've ever seen him over 50% in any of the swing states either.

traditional non-voters?  if they're non-voters, then what's the point?  as long as 90% of the bernie supporters vote biden, it'll be a landslide.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What is Joe offering them?

this election isn't about joe biden.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

as long as 90% of the bernie supporters vote biden, it'll be a landslide.

Do you think Biden's campaign is attempting to make this happen?

this election isn't about joe biden.

So the Democratic candidate is immaterial to whether or not Trump wins re-election?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you think Biden's campaign is attempting to make this happen?

probably not, but i was told the number would be close to 90% regardless, so...

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So the Democratic candidate is immaterial to whether or not Trump wins re-election?

as long as it's somebody reasonably likable and non-polarizing, then yes, it's immaterial.

An aside: Lot of ganging up against B_T, whom I like. I guess he puts himself out there for that blowback, but can't fault his resilience.

Being a Bernie supporter (now and 2016), I see Bernie being defeated as another missed opportunity for our nation to take a bold step forward. We already know what Biden (in the mold of Bill Clinton but a pale copy in every sense, including stopping at first base 🙂) is and his presidency will be the same policies of the last 3-4 decades that we think have led us to this point, from 1%ers and mega corps to wasting lives/money on wars and hollowing out middle class opportunities. 

2020 Democrats have spoken and Biden is the rep, but I think those who believe Bernie would have been too radical and not get things done are being myopic. In 2008, there was a lot of enthusiasm and hope for our country getting over a dark problem of racism and inequity with the election of Obama. Of course, he didn't solve the racism problem, but, both symbolically (through educated, proud and loving first family) and rhetorically (speaking in personal terms regarding violence/opportunity for blacks), if not legislatively, he fundamentally changed the dialogue and broke the ultimate glass ceiling. I think Bernie would have done at least the same in terms of genuine care for people as people, and would have turned our national conscious away from the current approach where the people are as seen as grist to the capitalism mill, and a hunger games vibe to the have nots whereas it is who you know for the haves. And this change in atmosphere would have made a Bernie-like successor far more likely to get elected and effect long term course correction.

Now, I am afraid that only a catastrophe may bring a change, and there is a high likelihood that, given the conditions, that change may be worse than what we have known in our lifetimes.

Yes, he is not actually all that good, but there's punching left to be done and you can count on the board temporarily-not-Republicans to do their duty.

#Salute

Meanwhile, in terms of bold leadership...

Unemployment reaches historic levels.

And Bernie Sanders threatens to delay the entire rescue bill to protect the provision guaranteeing unemployment benefits.

Leadership. Political skill.

54 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Cuomo wouldn't be a disaster, but his pandemic response is by far the best thing he has ever done for NYS. Once the shine of his CV leadership wears off, there's nothing else there to get excited about. 

Sometimes fate plays a bigger part in history than logic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I would suggest that it should go to the second highest delegate getter but hey.

“Why exactly 20-somethings are considered so vital to protest movements, I never figured out, seeing as how they never vote and have no money,”

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Serious question:

Biden is the nominee, and I'm ridin wit my nigga. 

But...what happens if after the Convention, something happens like he dies?  Then does his VP take the slot?  What are the rules here? 

DNC picks via an as yet undecided process. Each state will assign its electors to someone. Thats all that is known. 

19 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Voters in the upcoming Democratic primaries should make a better choice

Well, they obviously just need you to tell them how much wiser you are than they are and I'm sure they will all vote Bernie post-haste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

DNC picks via an as yet undecided process. Each state will assign its electors to someone. Thats all that is known. 

I have no doubt that, if the DNC gets to basically hand-pick a ticket, it would be Mayor Pete. No doubt. Then the VP would be Kamala or Abrams.

Actually, no. The DNC would choose Klobuchar for VP.

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's funny how me saying completely banal things sets you guys off.

Oh GREAT. You think things are HUMOROUS in this day and age with Corona Virus. You insensitive pig. And nobody is set off. What is that? Some sort of Bernie Bros racist dig at Jada Pinkett and Queen Latifah for working in a bank because your precious Occupy WallStreet FAILED!

10 minutes ago, FWD said:

DNC would pick Cuomo. You can't pick someone like Sanders who most Democratic voters have said they feel is unacceptable.   

Most Democratic voters have said they feel Sanders is unacceptable?

Sounds like something you're making up in order to fight on the Internet.

The reality is that Sanders's favorable rating is very high among Democrats and independents. :)

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Bail reform results outweighing favorable pandemic response in the eyes of the general electorate?   Um, I’d take that bet.

But it is true this is all wishcasting.  Good point by the guy still spamming the board about Bernie Sanders in relation to the 2020 Presidential race because he is stuck at the bargaining stage of grief. 

What's scarier to Trump's base, an invisible virus or black people running amok? 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The Cuomo obsession is just the kind of dreamcasting that liberals were doing a few months ago.

The idea that the DNC would just install Cuomo and the voters would be cool with that is hilariously stupid, but hey.

You are overestimating the voters. Cuomo would win in a landslide if he was nominated after the Dems lost their elected nominee. Hell, they could just install him now and cancel the remaining primaries. Still landslide.

If the nominee dies post convention, the entire election results are thrown out.  They don't go to the plaque in the ladies room and nominate the 2nd place finisher. 

15 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Would the US be receptive of another New Yorker for President? 

Sure.  GOP voters don't count Trump and other NY Republicans as actual New Yorkers.  Trump and Giuliani are salt of the earth, you know.  Men of the people.  Cuomo is an "elite New Yorker", but he has been fairly popular with moderates and even NY Trump voters before Covid.  I think Cuomo would clean up never Trump white voters across the country, and maybe even swing a few Trump voters who like how he has been handling covid.  Cuomo has also shored up support from the left with his covid response which was his primary weak spot.

That being said, Biden will be the candidate so its all academic.  And if something happens to Biden, there has never been any indication that Cuomo even wants to be President.  It will be Klobuchar or Pete instead.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

"Grandpa, when all the warning signs were there about the need to dramatically restructure the economy, why did you advocate passionately for do-nothing centrism?"

- "Well, you see honey, there were these annoying posters online..."

a lot of people are out there voting for joe biden in the primaries.  and each and every one of them has a @bad_teammate tormenting them on the internet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sick of this country's desire to idolize politicians for basically just doing their job during a time of crisis in NYC. Bush, Giuliani, Cuomo, etc. Get over it. 

Leading during a crisis is an important trait in an executive. NYC is the world's most visible city so that sort of thing comes naturally. Generally agree - it's no more or less special than leadership through a major crisis anywhere else, but Cuomo stands out because of the way the federal government has actively hamstrung the capacity to respond.

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

a lot of people are out there voting for joe biden in the primaries.  and each and every one of them has a @bad_teammate tormenting them on the internet.

Half of Biden's voters do not know how to use the internet.

Edited by gmr548

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

You know in a way, each of us has our own @bad_teammate to face. For some, shyness might be their bad_teammate. For others, a lack of an education might be their bad_teammate. For us, bad_teammate is an annoying Bernie troll who doesn't know when to quit. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1