2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

lulz we’ve been trolling the left from the beginning. 

True enough.

Remember a year ago when I was saying that you guys didn't actually give a shit about progressive politics outside of feeling superior to your lesser relatives at Thanksgiving dinner and only felt loyal to the bourgeois signifiers of your class? Yeah, that was fun. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

True enough.

Remember a year ago when I was saying that you guys didn't actually give a shit about progressive politics outside of feeling superior to your lesser relatives at Thanksgiving dinner and only felt loyal to the bourgeois signifiers of your class? Yeah, that was fun. :)

6882722.jpg?461

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this like the one guy on the old site who just talks to himself?

Me posting about the subject of the thread and then you (or others) expressing disbelief that I'm talking about the subject of the thread is definitely a new and fresh joke that adds a lot. :)

Yes I would think dropping out and not being personally responsible for tens of thousands of Coronavirus deaths of people who had to trudge to the polls to vote might make him slightly more sympathetic to the masses.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Would dropping out now put him in a better "negotiating position"?

I don't know. Joe and Bernie are friends and respect each other, so I'd guess Joe wouldn't hold a grudge against Bernie or policy ideas that he'd be willing to co-opt or consider. 

But if it's another few months of rape allegations, dementia allegations, etc while Bernie continues to get pantsed in the primaries, not sure how that would be helpful. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't know. Joe and Bernie are friends and respect each other, so I'd guess Joe wouldn't hold a grudge against Bernie or policy ideas that he'd be willing to co-opt or consider. 

But if it's another few months of rape allegations, dementia allegations, etc while Bernie continues to get pantsed in the primaries, not sure how that would be helpful. 

Just wait until the general election where we will get to judge candidates against one another by the number and scope of rape allegations. 

Of course Fox will only report on Biden so the many allegations against Trump don't even matter.  Biden - 1 rape.  Trump - how could anyone not consent to sex with the second coming of Jesus.  

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Would dropping out now put him in a better "negotiating position"?

i suppose dropping out soon would be something he still has to "give".

if he comes to the negotiating table, he can start his sentence with, "i'll suspend my campaign and do my best to throw all my support(ers) behind you, but here are some things i would like you to consider..."

i think the point is that if he just lets it play out, he loses that first sentence.  it's mostly symbolic, but it's not nothing.  shows some unity on the dem side, and contradicts the gop narrative of disorganization on the left.

does it amount to getting more accomplished?  probably not.

The rape and dementia things don't really have anything at all to do with Bernie, though, and the same people who will be mad at him for still being in tomorrow will just say, "Oh he should've dropped out even earlier! If he had dropped out a month ago no one would be criticizing Joe!"

You can't defeat bad faith arguments with good faith efforts.

There's this idea that all that needs to happen is Bernie dropping out then angels will sing and harmony will reign and everything will be fine. That's bullshit. Nothing is going to get magically better. Sanders's supporters are not not going to fall in line en masse and be happy with a mentally-deficient rapist who wants to make sure poor people die to protect the profits of private industry.

Some will fall in line, yes, but another portion will get harder and meaner, no longer having to pretend to respect people they don't respect so it doesn't reflect poorly on Bernie. I've said before that Bernie IS the compromise candidate, and Democrats will find out what that means when Bernie finally does suspend/concede/die/lose.

Bernie dropping out doesn't make Tara Reade's story any less compelling and real. It also doesn't clean up Joe's sputtering public presentation and lack of command and gravitas.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Just wait until the general election where we will get to judge candidates against one another by the number and scope of rape allegations. 

Of course Fox will only report on Biden so the many allegations against Trump don't even matter.  Biden - 1 rape.  Trump - how could anyone not consent to sex with the second coming of Jesus.  

MSNBC/CNN/centrist media will have on various Trump accusers and FOX/right-wing media will switch between pretending they don't exist and smearing them.
FOX/right-wing media will have on Tara Reade and MSNBC/CNN/centrist media will switch between pretending she doesn't exist and smearing her.

And independents will be harangued into pretending there's a massive moral difference between the two.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

shows some unity on the dem side, and contradicts the gop narrative of disorganization on the left.

Not the GOP narrative, the Democratic narrative.

Bernie dropped out, endorsed Hillary at the convention, and then did 40+ events for her leading up to the November election. Remember how the Democratic establishment treated Bernie's efforts? The GOP doesn't need to lift a finger.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not the GOP narrative, the Democratic narrative.

Bernie dropped out, endorsed Hillary at the convention, and then did 40+ events for her leading up to the November election. Remember how the Democratic establishment treated Bernie's efforts? The GOP doesn't need to lift a finger.

is this what you would call "hurt feelings"?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is this what you would call "hurt feelings"?

It wasn't a personal attack against you, the poster, so no.

You made a point about the GOP messaging disunity among Democrats/the left and I responded to that substantive point with a relevant historical analysis.

You couldn't even make it past 1 on-subject post without trolling. You're fucking pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

It wasn't a personal attack against you, the poster, so no.

You made a point about the GOP messaging disunity among Democrats/the left and I responded to that substantive point with a relevant historical analysis.

You couldn't even make it past 1 on-subject post without trolling. You're fucking pathetic.

if this is your reaction, you might need to take a break.  you blame everything any of us say on hurt feelings or personal vendettas of some sort.  you should learn to take as well as you give.

the gop message from the beginning has been "huge field, no direction, no clear candidate, no good candidate, no organization."  like others, i was trying to make some sense of weigel's meaning.  i think one of the only benefits from bernie dropping out is blowing that bullshit narrative out of the water.  the gop wet dream was no majority, brokered convention, floor fight, monkey-fucking-a-football for several rounds of votes on national tv, while trump stood stoically and somehow looked like a leader.  thank goodness, that is no longer an option.

anyone still basing shit on happenings from 2016 is definitely hanging onto some hurt feelings.  now you're saying that what, bernie people are going to be shitty out of revenge?  "doesn't everybody remember how mean they were to us?!"  cool cool cool.  anyone out there encouraging this view is enabling more years of trump and mcconnell.  is that what bernie people want?  is that what's best for the country?  is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

answer honestly.

• Like 4

Just now, henrygandorf said:

you blame everything any of us say on hurt feelings or personal vendettas of some sort.  you should learn to take as well as you give.

You guys make it personal about me incessantly because I've hurt your feelings over the course of months and you can't even have discussions with me without endlessly trying to revive  fights and grudges. THAT is the hurt feelings in action.

My post was not a personal attack against you. It wasn't about you at all, even obliquely.

i think one of the only benefits from bernie dropping out is blowing that bullshit narrative out of the water. 

Do you really believe that Bernie dropping out now would stop the GOP and Democrats from perpetuating that narrative? Be honest.

anyone still basing shit on happenings from 2016 is definitely hanging onto some hurt feelings.

History matters. Intelligent people don't dismiss history as irrelevant.

now you're saying that what, bernie people are going to be shitty out of revenge?  "doesn't everybody remember how mean they were to us?!"  cool cool cool.  anyone out there encouraging this view is enabling more years of trump and mcconnell.  is that what bernie people want?  is that what's best for the country?  is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

Nothing I said had anything to do with getting revenge at all. You're insanely dishonest.

Here's what I said:
Some will fall in line, yes, but another portion will get harder and meaner, no longer having to pretend to respect people they don't respect so it doesn't reflect poorly on Bernie. I've said before that Bernie IS the compromise candidate, and Democrats will find out what that means when Bernie finally does suspend/concede/die/lose.

Where's the revenge aspect of that?

For those who aren't dishonest trolls...

Bernie Sanders brings in independents and third-party leftists. A lot of his people aren't traditional Democrats. He himself isn't a traditional Democrat. So having him involved in the process brings those people into the tent and they're more likely to play nice within the tent because they feel they are being heard and treated equitably/fairly. Bernie is the moderating factor there.

Remove Bernie from the equation and you've gotten rid of the moderating factor for those people, so many will walk back out of the tent and some who stay will start raising hell since they no longer care about protecting Bernie.

We can judge them for being disloyal, and that's fine, I'm just saying what's going to happen.

For those who aren't dishonest trolls...

Bernie Sanders brings in independents and third-party leftists. A lot of his people aren't traditional Democrats. He himself isn't a traditional Democrat. So having him involved in the process brings those people into the tent and they're more likely to play nice within the tent because they feel they are being heard and treated equitably/fairly. Bernie is the moderating factor there.

Remove Bernie from the equation and you've gotten rid of the moderating factor for those people, so many will walk back out of the tent and some who stay will start raising hell since they no longer care about protecting Bernie.

We can judge them for being disloyal, and that's fine, I'm just saying what's going to happen.

So what changes with these folks if Bernie drops out today vs. a few months from now?  Your description here sounds like a pitch for why Bernie should be the nominee, not why he needs to stay in an unwinnable race.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You guys make it personal about me incessantly because I've hurt your feelings over the course of months and you can't even have discussions with me without endlessly trying to revive  fights and grudges. THAT is the hurt feelings in action.

My post was not a personal attack against you. It wasn't about you at all, even obliquely.

when you take everything personally, then every post becomes a personal attack.  nobody gives a shit about you, personally.  we're here because we try to keep up with political news and like to mix it up about this shit.  this is like when my nephews rough-house with each other.  it's fun until one of them starts crying.

i thought it was ironic that you use the phrase "hurt feelings" a lot, but then referenced something i would put into that category.  it wasn't an attack.  get over yourself.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you really believe that Bernie dropping out now would stop the GOP and Democrats from perpetuating that narrative? Be honest.

i think that narrative loses its validity.  they'll move on to other things, sure, but there are a ton of people out there (and many on this board) who are waiting for a dem candidate to vote for.  they don't even care that much who it is.  the sooner that happens, the better it is for those people.  if bernie drops out tomorrow, and in a couple of weeks, pubs on twitter are talking about a splintered party or disorganization on the left, they'll look stupid, and i like that.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

History matters. Intelligent people don't dismiss history as irrelevant.

agreed.  and you're referencing hurt feelings from 2016.

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Where's the revenge aspect of that?

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sanders's supporters are not not going to fall in line en masse and be happy with a mentally-deficient rapist who wants to make sure poor people die to protect the profits of private industry.

Some will fall in line, yes, but another portion will get harder and meaner, no longer having to pretend to respect people they don't respect so it doesn't reflect poorly on Bernie.

38 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Remember how the Democratic establishment treated Bernie's efforts? The GOP doesn't need to lift a finger.

re·venge

/rəˈvenj/

noun

the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.

I don't intend that to be an argument about how he needs to stay in, though I can see why you'd see it that way.

When you reject a "fringe" base you have to reckon with it. Democratic primary voters had a choice between rejecting the left/populists and rejecting the center-right/corporatists. They chose to reject the left.

(In a better worlds) If Bernie had won or stayed close in SC and then taken Super Tuesday they'd have to talk about managing the rumpus that would naturally come from the center-right/corporatists who lost their champion(s). Bernie's job would be to figure out a way to keep them in the tent and assuage their fears, make them feel heard, make them feel appreciated and needed. They have their beliefs and those beliefs would be threatened by the ascendency of Sanders' left-populism so they would react predictably.

Is that fair? I am intending to be fair here, truly.

Ultimately Joe is either going to manage the big tent or he's not. Bernie can't do that for him because Bernie won't control the levers of power, so whether Bernie stays or goes doesn't really matter at all with regards to harmony inside the tent. Joe praised Bernie and the Bernie supporters in a video a week ago, because as addled as Joe is he's still politically smarter than many angry centrists online (just as Bernie is politically smarter than many angry leftists online).

Bernie's all but dead (figuratively and literally). What he does as a person at this point doesn't really matter much anymore.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

if bernie drops out tomorrow, and in a couple of weeks, pubs on twitter are talking about a splintered party or disorganization on the left, they'll look stupid, and i like that.

Have you been awake for the last... three decades? Why do you still think we're going to own the Republicans with logic and reason?

As for your posting the definition of revenge, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how anything I've said amounts to revenge. The first section is just how a rejected base will naturally react when they lose their power and the second is just a reference to how the GOP isn't alone in blasting leftist disunity, the Democratic establishment promotes that as well.

Revenge has nothing to do with any of it. You're just trying to set a dishonest narrative. Because you're a dishonest troll.

As for your posting the definition of revenge, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how anything I've said amounts to revenge. The first section is just how a rejected base will naturally react when they lose their power and the second is just a reference to how the GOP isn't alone in blasting leftist disunity, the Democratic establishment promotes that as well.

Revenge has nothing to do with any of it. You're just trying to set a dishonest narrative. Because you're a dishonest troll.

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

now you're saying that what, bernie people are going to be shitty out of revenge?

i was asking a question to you, which you didn't answer.  i didn't call it revenge, i was characterizing the way you were making it sound.  the way you answer that is, "no, it's not revenge, it's..."

i also asked you these questions, which went unanswered.

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone out there encouraging this view is enabling more years of trump and mcconnell.  is that what bernie people want?  is that what's best for the country?  is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i was asking a question to you, which you didn't answer.

Here was my immediate response:
Nothing I said had anything to do with getting revenge at all. 

You asked, I answered immediately. Your lying is just reflexive at this point.

Here was my immediate response:
Nothing I said had anything to do with getting revenge at all. 

You asked, I answered immediately. Your lying is just reflexive at this point.

so we're not characterizing it as revenge, per my question.  got it.

also you can go ahead and answer the other questions i've asked you.  twice.  or is your evasiveness just reflexive at this point?

Your question: now you're saying that what, bernie people are going to be shitty out of revenge?

My answer: Nothing I said had anything to do with getting revenge at all. 

How is this evasive?

There is nothing revenge-like about anything I've said. I explained it plainly and simply.

Revenge has NOTHING to do with any of this. It's something you invented out of thin air.

Bernie brought in people who are, by nature of their beliefs and politics, hostile to establishment corporate Democrats. Bernie's presence moderated those people as those people sought to play nicer. Bernie leaving will remove that moderating presence which means that those people's natural hostility to corporate Democrats will flare up. The word "revenge" doesn't fit any of this; it makes no sense.

And the same would happen on the flipside if Bernie were going to win and the corporate/centrist Democrats who are naturally hostile to left-populism were no longer hampered by a moderating influence.

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

How?

Bernie's supporters are still fighting for him and trying to convince people to vote for Sanders over Biden. And they've used the dementia angle for weeks and now the rape allegation. 

If Bernie had dropped out already they would not be trying so hard to bring down Biden. 

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Your question: now you're saying that what, bernie people are going to be shitty out of revenge?

My answer: Nothing I said had anything to do with getting revenge at all. 

How is this evasive?

There is nothing revenge-like about anything I've said. I explained it plainly and simply.

Revenge has NOTHING to do with any of this. It's something you invented out of thin air.

Bernie brought in people who are, by nature of their beliefs and politics, hostile to establishment corporate Democrats. Bernie's presence moderated those people as those people sought to play nicer. Bernie leaving will remove that moderating presence which means that those people's natural hostility to corporate Democrats will flare up. The word "revenge" doesn't fit any of this; it makes no sense.

And the same would happen on the flipside if Bernie were going to win and the corporate/centrist Democrats who are naturally hostile to left-populism were no longer hampered by a moderating influence.

yeah, homey.  i had moved on.  that's what "got it" meant.

i was referring to these:

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone out there encouraging this view is enabling more years of trump and mcconnell.  is that what bernie people want?  is that what's best for the country?  is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

answer honestly.

3x.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Bernie had dropped out already they would not be trying so hard to bring down Biden. 

I think you're misinterpreting their motivations and building it into kind of a conspiracy.

I'm sure SOME people think that acknowledging the reality of Biden's mental decline and sexual predation will help Bernie's electoral chances, but I think they're pretty rare. I don't really see anyone talking about Bernie 2020 like it's a real possibility anymore.

Many people have been telling themselves and each other that the Bernie Bros are nothing but a cult of personality over and over again and have convinced themselves of it. So now that they didn't just deactivate like a robot army in a movie after the hero destroys the mothership, there's going to be a lot of confusion when the Bernie Bros continue caring deeply about left-populist policies.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

i was referring to these: 3x.

The "that" in each of those is revenge, so if the concept is invalidated initially then the 3 follow-ups serve no purpose.

If you want to ask new questions not predicated on a false premise, ask them. I never shrink away from questions. You can say many negative things about me, but the idea that I back away from challenge is silly.

7+ months of "OH SO YOU LOVE TRUMP NOW!?" incoming...

The "that" in each of those is revenge, so if the concept is invalidated initially then the 3 follow-ups serve no purpose.

"that" in each of those is "more years of trump and mcconnell."  not revenge. 

you said some of the bernie supporters won't fall in line.  i assume that means they won't vote for biden.  they may also continue to trash biden online (to crossover to hank's posts).  this type of behavior directly enables more years of trump and mcconnell.

is that what bernie people want?

is that what's best for the country?

is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

"that" in each of those is "more years of trump and mcconnell."  not revenge. 

you said some of the bernie supporters won't fall in line.  i assume that means they won't vote for biden.  they may also continue to trash biden online (to crossover to hank's posts).  this type of behavior directly enables more years of trump and mcconnell.

is that what bernie people want?

is that what's best for the country?

is that what's best for the people bernie cares about?

Why would you assume that when it wasn't being discussed? You should probably ask for clarification before assuming anything about people you have a massive negative emotional reaction to.

The argument that trashing Biden online "enables more years of trump and mcconnell" is tenuous. I don't think leftists trashing Biden online are thinking, "This will help Trump win!" and I don't think you could make a believable argument that online fighting influences voting habits. That's an especially shitty argument given how the Democratic primaries played out, where the Internet was uniformly negative about Joe Biden (EVERY candidate base mocked him) and the actual voters just smiled and pounded the "OBAMA'S FRIEND!" button.

Twitter doesn't mean anything in the real world.

And I think you understand this, but it suits your desire to start fights to pretend that @M4ABongRips on Twitter calling Biden a rapist is going to swing voters to Donald.

If I was an intellectually dishonest troll I'd say something like, "So you guys who are just attacking me constantly think you're helping Joe right now? Aren't you afraid you're going to push me and others like me to Trump!?"

But I'm not an intellectually dishonest troll, so I don't. :)

Why would you assume that when it wasn't being discussed? You should probably ask for clarification before assuming anything about people you have a massive negative emotional reaction to.

when you referred to bernie's supporters, you said some will fall in line, and some others won't fall in line.  what does fall in line mean if not vote, support, encourage others to do likewise?  what else matters at this point?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The argument that trashing Biden online "enables more years of trump and mcconnell" is tenuous.

i don't think it necessarily does.  but it doesn't help.  voting or not voting is all i care about.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't think leftists trashing Biden online are thinking, "This will help Trump win!

i don't care what their motivation is.  that's a possible result and everyone knows that.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

and I don't think you could make a believable argument that online fighting influences voting habits. That's an especially shitty argument given how the Democratic primaries played out, where the Internet was uniformly negative about Joe Biden (EVERY candidate base mocked him) and the actual voters just smiled and pounded the "OBAMA'S FRIEND!" button.

Twitter doesn't mean anything in the real world.

And I think you understand this, but it suits your desire to start fights to pretend that @M4ABongRips on Twitter calling Biden a rapist is going to swing voters to Donald.

If I was an intellectually dishonest troll I'd say something like, "So you guys who are just attacking me constantly think you're helping Joe right now? Aren't you afraid you're going to push me and others like me to Trump!?"

But I'm not an intellectually dishonest troll, so I don't. :)

i don't really care about the online/twitter attacks.  that was hank's point, that it's counterproductive, which it is, but whatever.

if "fall in line" or "won't fall in line" doesn't mean support/votes, then nevermind.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

when you referred to bernie's supporters, you said some will fall in line, and some others won't fall in line.  what does fall in line mean if not vote, support, encourage others to do likewise?

tenor.gif

Read what I was responding to if you want the context of the conversation.

I will helpfully paste it here for you:

Also, in terms of the bolded section of your post here, you're moving the goalposts. It's very transparent.

I think we could probably have some interesting discussions if you didn't have it in your head that you were going to own me all the time.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

There's this idea that all that needs to happen is Bernie dropping out then angels will sing and harmony will reign and everything will be fine. That's bullshit. Nothing is going to get magically better. Sanders's supporters are not not going to fall in line en masse and be happy with a mentally-deficient rapist who wants to make sure poor people die to protect the profits of private industry.

Some will fall in line, yes, but another portion will get harder and meaner, no longer having to pretend to respect people they don't respect so it doesn't reflect poorly on Bernie. I've said before that Bernie IS the compromise candidate, and Democrats will find out what that means when Bernie finally does suspend/concede/die/lose.

this is what you said^^

you described sanders supporters and you broke them into two different groups once bernie drops out (the topic today): those who will fall in line, and those who won't.

what is your definition of what this means?

and no, i don't care about "owning" anyone.  i don't care about the "talk shit, get hit" progressive twitter playbook of owning and dragging someone.  i was just asking what you meant by "fall in line".  like i said, if it doesn't mean "voting" then i misunderstood.

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Also, in terms of the bolded section of your post here, you're moving the goalposts. It's very transparent.

this is funny to me, because i typed this out including just "voting".  but then i thought i would give you a little latitude.  like i've said, i don't care about anything but voting.  amazing the things you'll latch onto to avoid just owning up to what you yourself said.