2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

don't worry, buddy, certainly you can find something in there to piss you off.

Well it's means tested and narrowly applied already, so it sucks even without further detail.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who is doing this?

Here's a question you can answer "yes" or "no" as honestly as your conscience allows:

Have posters in this thread attempted to start fights with me?

You can argue I deserve it because I'm stupid, bad, whatever, but there's one honest answer here.

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Vice President Biden, no one under 50 likes you."

- "Listen here, Jack, we're gonna offer them lowering the Medicare age to 60."

"Brilliant, sir. Now let's see if those ungrateful piece of shit accept it."

#TheDemocrats

2016 Exit Polls Age 50-64

Trump 52

Clinton 44

Not everything is geared towards people who don’t vote.

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Not everything is geared towards people who don’t vote.

Sure, and that's fair. Biden and his troll supporters here have shown a pretty consistent disdain for young voters and that might turn out to be an electorally-successful strategy. :)

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Well it's means tested and narrowly applied already, so it sucks even without further detail.

well he was never going to cut and paste bernie's policy plans.  i think this falls under the category of "gesture".

biden's gonna biden.  and no matter what lefty plans he adopts, for some it'll never be enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure, and that's fair. Biden and his troll supporters here have shown a pretty consistent disdain for young voters and that might turn out to be an electorally-successful strategy. :)

this is gonna sound like a "just asking questions" or a "troll" post, but i swear it's not.  i keep seeing you mention biden's disdain for young people (or for stuff young people care about) i can't remember your exact wording, but you've mentioned it often.  when you mention rape or getting in the face of gun-toting factory workers, those are easy to remember.  but i don't remember the young people examples.

do you mind throwing a few out here to check out?

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

You are willing to concede that both of these men are the enemy of my values, but one is less of an enemy so I am morally obligated to vote for him? 

I do not concede that either of these men are an enemy of your "values" because I've got no idea what your values are, but clearly one is less of an enemy to your class and the outcomes you claim to want, so yes you are morally obligated to vote for Biden unless you don't actually want those outcomes. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I do not concede that either of these men are an enemy of your "values" because I've got no idea what your values are, but clearly one is less of an enemy to your class and the outcomes you claim to want, so yes you are morally obligated to vote for Biden unless you don't actually want those outcomes. 

He was never going to vote for the Dem nominee and whether Bernie is in or not, he will still probably post Trump campaign memes or videos attacking Biden. It’s nice of you to reason with him here, I just don’t think he’s acting in good faith

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bernie Bros only want 100% of those outcomes or NOTHING. 

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

He was never going to vote for the Dem nominee and whether Bernie is in or not, he will still probably post Trump campaign memes or videos attacking Biden. It’s nice of you to reason with him here, I just don’t think he’s acting in good faith

I agree that he's not acting in good faith, but in the sense that I think he knows he'll wind up holding his nose and voting for Biden like the rest of us. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Some people hate Biden more than they hate Trump.  That boggles my mind. 

the poll is around here somewhere.  people disliked hillary more than trump.  or at least more of the people who disliked both of them voted for trump.

the current numbers show the people who dislike both of them overwhelmingly support biden over trump.  there aren't many polling tabs that look good for trump right now.

Edited by henrygandorf
kelsey grammer

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i keep seeing you mention biden's disdain for young people (or for stuff young people care about) i can't remember your exact wording, but you've mentioned it often.  when you mention rape or getting in the face of gun-toting factory workers, those are easy to remember.  but i don't remember the young people examples.

do you mind throwing a few out here to check out?

I posted this video today, but I'll post it again.

There is more, but these are two just off the top of my head.

Joe Biden's entire political history is one of being unable to reasonably and calmly deal with being challenged. He's got a massive ego and very thin skin. Couple that with a penchant for lying and forgetting and it's a very toxic personality.

He's got that thing that many men have of being extremely decisive and then set firmly in the position he just decided to take.

The factory worker thing you mentioned is a perfect example.

36 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"The only way Biden will get my vote is if he makes an attempt to adopt some of Bernie's policies."

*Biden attempts to embrace parts of Bernie's policies*

"NOT LIKE THAT YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!!!"

Do you sincerely believe those are "an attempt to adopt some of Bernie's policies"?

Henry is far more correct in characterizing it as a "gesture".

27 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Some people hate Biden more than they hate Trump.  That boggles my mind. 

I'm not sure who you're talking about here, but many people who hate Trump don't even bother talking about him.

I'm one of them. There's not much reasonable discussion or anything to learn regarding Trump. He's completely beneath contempt.

Also, Neibuhr: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

#NotAnAlcoholic

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't think it's clear.

As an example, look at Obamacare.

Healthcare.gov state premiums doubled from 2013 to 2017. They rose 25+% in 2018. The uninsured rate has been basically flat for years, with over 10% still uninsured. Tens of millions lose or change healthcare plans every year whether they like it or not. Tens of thousands die for lack of being able to afford care.

Did Obama have better intentions than McCain and Romney? Almost certainly. Was his plan more effective than theirs would have been? Sure.

So in some very marginal and heavily footnoted way, a guy who was chosen by Obama specifically because he was more conservative than Obama might be "less of an enemy", but it's not actually all that clear when it comes to meaningful issues.

And the door is wide open for him to prove me wrong and show strength. My eyes and ears are open.

Lowering the Medicare age from 65 to 60 as a means of trying to appear progressive is laughable. It's basically parody.

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

lol this guy

14 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Bernie Bros only want 100% of those outcomes or NOTHING. 

Here's how centrists negotiate,
"Here's what I want. Don't worry if you don't like it, because I'll promise to accept whatever you say 8+ months before I have to just so no one gets mad at me."
- "Excellent! Here's a condescending pat on the head for you. As for your list, I'm ignoring all of that."
"Thank you, sir! Turns out that's all I wanted all along!"

Edited by bad_teammate

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there aren't many polling tabs that look good for trump right now.

The concept of actively supporting Donald Trump is not something I can understand. I would have to take a power drill to my brain like the guy in Pi to truly understand thinking, "Yeah, Donald Trump... wow... he's so good at this."

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The concept of actively supporting Donald Trump is not something I can understand. I would have to take a power drill to my brain like the guy in Pi to truly understand thinking, "Yeah, Donald Trump... wow... he's so good at this."

that bullshit ny times article (posted on another thread, but i mentioned it here) would have you believe that there are dem/ind leaning regular people out there who are thinking exactly this ^^^.

the fact that they are so easily spotted either tells me something about me or about them.  likely both.

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

It is a harder road to win the Senate. I can't vote for Mitch McConnell's opponent. I can vote against Cornyn's but the winner of the run off is going to have a real tough time unless the olds blame the whole republican party and vote Democratic. That is pretty unlikely. 

We are stuck with two demented pussy grabbers. One by his own admission and the stories of some women who have come out and reported it and the other by the account of a woman that seems to have some back-up to her story. If she has those emails she shared with the women's org she went to for help then that will make it more credible. I imagine the Senate office she went to to file the harassment claim destroyed that paperwork.  I'll still vote for Biden even so.

You can't vote for Mitch's opponent?  What the fuck? Mitch is perhaps the most evil senator since the civil war.  Seriously, what the fuck kind of value system do you have?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

So let's just put Anita Hill aside and look at this on its face...

You are willing to concede that both of these men are the enemy of my values, but one is less of an enemy so I am morally obligated to vote for him? 

No one gives a fuck if you think he's an enemy of your values. He isn't. His candidacy will be the most progressive in U.S. history because he is malleable and has already adopted much of the progressive platform, which Bernie is smart enough to realize he can continue to shape and influence as a senator. You're too much of a self-absorbed narcissist to recognize this. You parrot Trump's attacks. You undermine the progressive candidate because he doesn't meet your purist perspective. You don't care if Trump wins again and destroys the lives of minorities, immigrants, gays, the poor, etc...because your fave didn't win. You're as bad as any redneck racist right-wing Trumpkin. I await your pithy non-responsive response.  

The ironic thing is we probably agree on 80 to 90% of policy.  I guess as a long time litigation attorney I'm used to compromise in order to reach a resolution. A lot of time I didn't like the resolution, but if I didn't want my client to go without for years just because of my ego, I had to play ball.  

This thread is bonkers.

Yeah now that we have a nominee this thread needs to be abandoned or locked up. We’ve been rehashing this shit SINCE 2016 FFS.

The contest is now the 2020 General Election. The primaries are done. It’s Biden v. Trump now.

No need to keep arguing about irrelevant candidates.

[mention]immamac [/mention]
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah now that we have a nominee this thread needs to be abandoned or locked up. We’ve been rehashing this shit SINCE 2016 FFS.

The contest is now the 2020 General Election. The primaries are done. It’s Biden v. Trump now.

No need to keep arguing about irrelevant candidates.

[mention]immamac [/mention]

Agree 100%. 

No reason to exacerbate the divide. It's a time to heal. 

An eminently reasonable take from a progressive.

1/Here is my take on lesser-evil voting. It’s only my take: I’m not telling anyone else what to do. My take is you can have my vote but you can’t have my soul. You can’t count on me to censor myself or to shill for your bad candidate. I’ll vote for him but I won’t lie for him.

2/I think it’s reasonable to present people with two options in a very important election and urge them to vote for the less bad option. I don’t think it’s reasonable to ask them to behave like they’re on your team when you don’t treat them like comrades in any way.

3/If you want more than just a vote, from me but I imagine from many others, then come up with some reasons why you’re entitled to more than just a vote

• Like 2