2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

48 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I realize that this is just fun speculation, but you guys need to differentiate between who you want as potus and who has an actual chance of beating trump.  If the economy is still humming then he is going to be very hard to beat, especially by the same old tired people that have been around forever.  If the economy is humming, the only way a dem beats trump is if that dem is has good economic credentials and will essentially espouse many of the same economic policies as trump.  Then they can make moves away from trump's  idiocy on other things.

But if the dems run a fairly liberal candidate and their approach to the economy is tax the rich, higher min wage, bad ceos and tax companies then they are going to get bludgeoned.  

Harris, Biden, Warren are my top 3 for who I want to be president. 

13 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i don't know much about them,  but I've recently seen both Mitch Landrieu and Eric Garcetti on talk show tours (maybe promoting books??)

anyway... they were both sort of vague about the idea, definitely gave the impression they would be open to the idea. mayor is pretty low on the political experience scale...but Sarah Palin, so yeah. i could see them in the mix. 

personally, i like Hickenlooper. 

Garcetti has been to Souf Carolina and Iowa.  For what?  Not sure. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

You talking about people with money picking the nominee?  Not literally, but they slid the scale pretty well over to Hillary over Bernie.  They were not passive observers and they used the media to pursue what they wanted.  

No.  She was the nominee because from 2012-2015 the Clintons won the organizational battles they lost by default to the vastly superior Obama organization in 2006-2007.  The above is spectator class bullshit.  It's just not how the world actually works. 

35 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No.  She was the nominee because from 2012-2015 the Clintons won the organizational battles they lost by default to the vastly superior Obama organization in 2006-2007.  The above is spectator class bullshit.  It's just not how the world actually works. 

I acknowledge I’m part of the spectator class if that means I haven’t taken part in any elections or campaigning in my life.  What do you mean organizational battles?  Getting Wasserman-Schultz and Donna Brazile into DNC leadership positions?  Was that her doing?  What else are you referencing?

I acknowledge I’m part of the spectator class if that means I haven’t taken part in any elections or campaigning in my life.  What do you mean organizational battles?  Getting Wasserman-Schultz and Donna Brazile into DNC leadership positions?  Was that her doing?  What else are you referencing?

This isn’t the time for that thread. It was discussed extensively on the shag at that time.
Parties are institutions first. Organization and execution rule. You’re talking about end points. I’m talking about process.
Also, Donna Brazile? She’s not even really part of the Clinton faction. Obviously DWS is.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:55 AM, Dick Tremayne said:

Bernie or bust for me. No more moderate Neo libs. 

So at least for me, yes.

Wouldn't Bernie have to run as an Independent because the Democrats said that he has to declare himself part of the Democratic party?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eye-bernie-sanders-democratic-national-committee-adopts-new-restrictions-2020-presidential-candidates-225841348.html

So if he doesn't want to declare himself as a Democrat and runs as an Independent, he is just going to split non-Republican votes.

16 minutes ago, F250 said:

What are the odds that an evil neoliberal centrist wins the nomination with the backing of the liberal wing of DNC?

100% guarantee Dem, Inc. will choose a neoliberal. The owners of Dem, Inc. will want a candidate who is an expert at virtue signaling and expert at getting the rich - richer. 

The base wants a New Dealer (the last New Deal President was Richard Nixon/Gerald Ford).

Dem, Inc. will give them another neoliberal (Booker, Harris, Biden, Clinton, Holder, Gillebrand, Murphy, D. Patrick, McAuliffe, Cuomo). Dem. Inc. still hasn't learned the lesson of 2016. DINO's who champion "welfare for the wealthy" and "austerity for the rest of us" are toxic outside the East and West Coast citadel cities.

Trump hatred, while strong, goes hand-in-hand with disgust for those who pretend to know how the poor feel cold (while listening to ethnicky jazz on their five grand stereo). See Joe Crowley's defeat last night. 

Dem Inc. and Repub Corp. hates populism - right or left - at a time when millions upon millions have nothing. Aging Baby Boomers without savings and Millennials loaded with school loan debt desperately need a big fix. No help is coming from Dem Inc. Buffett will make another mint using his tried and true vulture capitalism while Dem Inc. gives him a reach around with another bought and paid for candidate who does not care how challenging these times are for a large chunk of Americans. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Well, its 2018 and Hillary Clinton will never be President. Its passed the time to move on.

Seriously, Hugo brings her up for 2020 as much as Trump does. Just stop it.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hillary Clinton would lose the primary by a lot. She knows that, which is why she won't run.

They LOVE to bring her up as a 2020 candidate. They are the only ones convinced she’s running again. 

Shes not. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Agree on the first, not sure on the second

Depends who runs really. Right now there is only Bernie who would lose to Hillary again. And honestly, the rest of the potential candidates like Warren, Harris, Gillibrand, and Booker are Hillary sycophants, so they might turn into little bitches if she runs again. She needs to bow out and let them spread their wings. 

On 6/27/2018 at 1:50 PM, washparkhorn said:

100% guarantee Dem, Inc. will choose a neoliberal. The owners of Dem, Inc. will want a candidate who is an expert at virtue signaling and expert at getting the rich - richer. 

The base wants a New Dealer (the last New Deal President was Richard Nixon/Gerald Ford).

Dem, Inc. will give them another neoliberal (Booker, Harris, Biden, Clinton, Holder, Gillebrand, Murphy, D. Patrick, McAuliffe, Cuomo). Dem. Inc. still hasn't learned the lesson of 2016. DINO's who champion "welfare for the wealthy" and "austerity for the rest of us" are toxic outside the East and West Coast citadel cities.

Trump hatred, while strong, goes hand-in-hand with disgust for those who pretend to know how the poor feel cold (while listening to ethnicky jazz on their five grand stereo). See Joe Crowley's defeat last night. 

Dem Inc. and Repub Corp. hates populism - right or left - at a time when millions upon millions have nothing. Aging Baby Boomers without savings and Millennials loaded with school loan debt desperately need a big fix. No help is coming from Dem Inc. Buffett will make another mint using his tried and true vulture capitalism while Dem Inc. gives him a reach around with another bought and paid for candidate who does not care how challenging these times are for a large chunk of Americans. 

The problem is that the potential New Dealers are Bernie who is 4 million years old and Ocasio Cortez who is not legally old enough to run, and hasn't technically even served in office number one yet. We need a Berniest who is between 35 and 50, and unfortunately, I'm hard pressed to think of a single one. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

12 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

Beto/Warren would be a great ticket. Having both a Hispanic and Native American would be solid.  Especially adding real-life experience around immigration.

Is Beto Hispanic?  I know he's fluent in Spanish, but was not aware he was Hispanic.  I'm in CA, so not seeing as much about that race out here obviously.

1 minute ago, 27-25 said:

Is Beto Hispanic?  I know he's fluent in Spanish, but was not aware he was Hispanic.  I'm in CA, so not seeing as much about that race out here obviously.

He's not.

But he is somehow more Hispanic than Ted Cruz, who tries too hard to be white.

I hope Booker doesn’t run.  I was disappointed he ran for Senate.  I want that guy mayoring struggling cities 4-6 years at a time the rest of his career.  He worked miracles in Newark and I think could do similarly for other cities.  He’s much more effective, and I think offers more, at a local  level.  I don’t want the presidency bringing that guy down.