2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not disputing this but two to four points is some nominal movement over six weeks.  That Warren hasn’t really fallen off after a remarkable six month run from single digits is just as much of a story as her stalling right now.  Nate loves his framing tho...

EKQiaprWwAYS4EX?format=png&name=900x900

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

On 11/24/2019 at 11:01 AM, Message Board User said:

If you believe that supporters of losing candidates will all vote for the party's nominee, you haven't been paying attention.

Welcome to liberal voters.  They're borderline fucking retarded.  The Democratic candidate for president could adopt 100% of the green new deal and there are some people who would still vote for the Green Party candidate.

Left candidates bring people into the primary process that normally wouldn't be, either because those people are to the left of the party (Greens) or because they aren't reliable Democrats (non-voters, etc...).

If I'm a non-voter who is excited about this guy who is 100% trustworthy (one of the reasons I'm disenchanted is that I believe they're all liars/crooks) and he is off the table, I'm likely to just go back to my default state of non-involvement (which is like 45+% of voting-eligible Americans).

None of these candidates are owed votes. None of them are entitled to votes.

Look at Biden, the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, saying, "Vote for Trump" TO A HISPANIC IMMIGRATION ACTIVIST. He just says it out loud to his face. There are powerful elements of this party that outright hate major potential voting blocs.

Gee, I wonder why Latino turnout is bad.

The 2016 candidate called poor, urban black kids "superpredators".

Gee, I wonder why black turnout is bad.

Look at the top 4 candidates right now, for Christ's sake. The frontrunner is basically a 1990s Republican who hasn't converted, there's an actual 1990s Republican who is an economic populist but only discovered non-economic social justice causes 10 months ago (and I LIKE this one), and another is basically a child who thinks the answer to black problems is more exposure to white people and whose non-white base of support could fit in Lizzo's AMA purse.

This party would rather lose with a primarily-white voting base than win with a multiracial coalition. I hate it.

• Like 1

Publicly, he has been clear that he won’t intervene in the primary for or against a candidate, unless he believed there was some egregious attack. “I can't even imagine with this field how bad it would have to be for him to say something,” said a close adviser. Instead, he sees his role as providing guardrails to keep the process from getting too ugly and to unite the party when the nominee is clear. There is one potential exception: Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him. (Asked about that, a spokesperson for Obama pointed out that Obama recently said he would support and campaign for whoever the Democratic nominee is.)

No direct quote, no source. Just casually saying that Obama would try to stop Sanders. This will get ugly. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Publicly, he has been clear that he won’t intervene in the primary for or against a candidate, unless he believed there was some egregious attack. “I can't even imagine with this field how bad it would have to be for him to say something,” said a close adviser. Instead, he sees his role as providing guardrails to keep the process from getting too ugly and to unite the party when the nominee is clear. There is one potential exception: Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him. (Asked about that, a spokesperson for Obama pointed out that Obama recently said he would support and campaign for whoever the Democratic nominee is.)

No direct quote, no source. Just casually saying that Obama would try to stop Sanders. This will get ugly. 

Yet when Russia was attacking our democracy, Obama was mysteriously silent and left Hillary out there by herself to look like the crackpot conspiracy theorist.

Obama was a lot of talk and no action in some of the biggest moments.  Sometimes he didn’t even talk enough (cough Merrick Garland).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Stuff like more aircraft carriers, tax breaks for billionaires, and democracy in the Middle East? 

No, actually if you read the post it was talking about healthcare.

Once Liz started talking about raising revenue, she started fading. 

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Goddammit, focus on electing Dem senators and representatives and quite gnashing your teeth at Bernie and Warren.    

The cunts who are bringing down the country are in Congress.  The moron in the White House is just the symptom. 

The way this works is that the exact same complaining about purity tests applies to everything.

"Hey don't criticize the candidates in this presidential primary. It doesn't matter if the presidential candidate isn't the best, we just have to win all over."

then 

"Hey don't criticize or primary the candidates in this national Congressional primary. It doesn't matter if they are the best, we just have to win all over."

then

"Hey don't criticize or primary the candidates in this state-level primary. It doesn't matter if it's your ideal candidate, we just have to win all over."

- Dems get supermajorities.

- They pass public option 401k plans to "expand" Social Security and literally nothing else

"Hey why are you guys mad!?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The way this works is that the exact same complaining about purity tests applies to everything.

"Hey don't criticize the candidates in this presidential primary. It doesn't matter if the presidential candidate isn't the best, we just have to win all over."

then 

"Hey don't criticize or primary the candidates in this national Congressional primary. It doesn't matter if they are the best, we just have to win all over."

then

"Hey don't criticize or primary the candidates in this state-level primary. It doesn't matter if it's your ideal candidate, we just have to win all over."

- Dems get supermajorities.

- They pass public option 401k plans to "expand" Social Security and literally nothing else

"Hey why are you guys mad!?"

Well, OK then.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

WTF GABBARD?  She is being propped up by Rs.  That is the only logical explanation.

Gabbard is pretty far down the list of "why the fuck is this candidate here?" in this 20+ person field. She's not Top 5 for me, but she's discernible as a personality and thinker.

Next debate should be: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, Gabbard, Yang

(fixed)

Edited by bad_teammate

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Gabbard is pretty far down the list of "why the fuck is this candidate here?" in this 20+ person field. She's not Top 5 for me, but she's discernible as a personality and thinker.

Next debate should be: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, Gabbard, Yang

(fixed)

tcySu1m.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Why does the black vote support Biden over Booker? 

it boggles my mind. 

Because a significant number (not all) of black voters value the likelihood of success against Trump over pretty much everything else.  From what I hear from pundits in the black community, Booker seemed to take the black vote for granted, like it was supposed to be automatic with him. Black voters value their vote way more than whites and Booker didn’t do much to earn it with them. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So if I had to guess, Pete will win Iowa, Bernie NH, and then Uncle Joe runs away with the nomination because of the strength of the black vote.

Just a hunch.

And Warren will frustratingly be in second place in all of them because Americans are fucking stupid.

Yeah, way too early for me to feel comfortable with early state predictions. 

A ton of voters aren't really married to a particular candidate. Buttigieg could lose the support as quickly as he's gained it. Same with Warren.

I think Biden's relative steadiness in the polls has been helped by so many candidates still being in the race. Once this gets down to 3-4 viable candidates, I think you could see more voters moving away from Joe. 

Bernie's base support is rock solid, but clearly not enough to win right now. But he's had good mojo post-heart attack and pundits are sleeping on him at the moment.

Still think it's anyone's ballgame. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, way too early for me to feel comfortable with early state predictions. 

A ton of voters aren't really married to a particular candidate. Buttigieg could lose the support as quickly as he's gained it. Same with Warren.

I think Biden's relative steadiness in the polls has been helped by so many candidates still being in the race. Once this gets down to 3-4 viable candidates, I think you could see more voters moving away from Joe. 

Bernie's base support is rock solid, but clearly not enough to win right now. But he's had good mojo post-heart attack and pundits are sleeping on him at the moment.

Still think it's anyone's ballgame. 

If black voters stay with Joe Biden, it's ballgame.