2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

51 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Well for most of America's existence being 70 and functional wasn't really an option. But we've been ruled by old white people for roughly 98% of our history.

That's not really true.  Life expectancy was low in the era before vaccines because of high infant- and child-mortality rates.  But once one grew into adulthood, attaining age 70 wasn't unusual.

Of the first five presidents, only one died before age 70--Washington lived to be 67, Adams lived to be 91, Jefferson lived to be 83, Madison lived to be 86, and Monroe lived to be 73.  In point of fact, most of the presidents--25 of the 45--lived past the age of 70.  And of those who didn't, four were assassinated and one is still living and hasn't yet reached age 70.  So we're really talking about 20 of the 45 who didn't live to see age 70.

So yeah--your snarky point doesn't hold water.

• Like 1

It's not just about technically being alive, but vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace.

70 in 2019 is not the same as 70 in 1910 or 1830, and the popularity of septuagenarian candidates should be all the evidence you need to establish that as an obvious reality.

Otherwise, what's your explanation? What's the point you're making?

That there’s an infinitely better crop of candidates between 37 and 70 but we are focused on candidates either too old or too young because they are white and therefore are worthy of our votes. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

It’s 6am in India and I’m jet lagged and not going to be dragged into you brandishing your saber sword at me over Bernie. 

Ive said what I’ve said and I ain’t saying no more.  The other campaigns have a lot of work to do to draw Harris supporters/staff. Because they treated her like garbage.  

And fuck Bloomberg and Steyer. Go away. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s 6am in India and I’m jet lagged and not going to be dragged into you brandishing your saber sword at me over Bernie. 

Ive said what I’ve said and I ain’t saying no more.  The other campaigns have a lot of work to do to draw Harris supporters/staff. Because they treated her like garbage.  

And fuck Bloomberg and Steyer. Go away. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not just about technically being alive, but vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace.

70 in 2019 is not the same as 70 in 1910 or 1830, and the popularity of septuagenarian candidates should be all the evidence you need to establish that as an obvious reality.

Otherwise, what's your explanation? What's the point you're making?

Jesus, man--read Adams' correspondence with Jefferson.  They were plenty vital well past the age of 70.  

The real difference is that people didn't wait until age 70 to run for president.  If you got to age 70 and wanted to be president, you had either run before or had long before been deemed by your party not to be a viable candidate.  In either event, it wasn't a matter of being "vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace."  It was a matter of having been vetted by the party two decades earlier.

Now, with direct primaries, you have assholes who sit in the Senate for a generation doing fuck-all who then decide "hey, I want to run for president."  It's bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus, man--read Adams' correspondence with Jefferson.  They were plenty vital well past the age of 70.  

The real difference is that people didn't wait until age 70 to run for president.  If you got to age 70 and wanted to be president, you had either run before or had long before been deemed by your party not to be a viable candidate.  In either event, it wasn't a matter of being "vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace."  It was a matter of having been vetted by the party two decades earlier.

Now, with direct primaries, you have assholes who sit in the Senate for a generation doing fuck-all who then decide "hey, I want to run for president."  It's bullshit.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It was a matter of having been vetted by the party two decades earlier.

What does this mean?

Even if we take that framing, why would it even matter how old they are?

What is your complaint? Are you mad because a candidate you like is failing?

16 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Maybe dumbass Harris shouldn’t have hired a bunch of Hillary hangers on who lose elections

This mostly is it imo. She tried to at first run on a more leftist campaign then quickly pivoted to the center for most issues and refused to address her prosecutorial past that Tulsi was able to so clearly pick at.

I think it's safe to say that this is Elizabeth Warren's nomination to lose. Bernie won't crack the top 2 and those voters won't vote for Biden once he drops out. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I love Julian

Wow what a stupid tweet. Does Nate not realize that Barack Obama won Iowa and split the delegate total with the eventual 2016 nominee in New Hampshire?

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

Does Nate not realize that Barack Obama won Iowa and split the delegate total with the eventual 2016 nominee in New Hampshire?

This doesn't prove what you think it does.

It takes a Barack Obama level political talent for a black person to win these states. It takes Rick Santorum for a white person to win them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Tulsi processed heels up harris at that debate and she was freaking doa. Maybe dumbass Harris shouldn’t have hired a bunch of Hillary hangers on who lose elections if she had any shot. Her whole campaign was nothing more than, “I’m like Obama but have a vagina”.  Terrible  campaign.  

None of this is why her campaign didn’t take off.  

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's not really true.  Life expectancy was low in the era before vaccines because of high infant- and child-mortality rates.  But once one grew into adulthood, attaining age 70 wasn't unusual.

Of the first five presidents, only one died before age 70--Washington lived to be 67, Adams lived to be 91, Jefferson lived to be 83, Madison lived to be 86, and Monroe lived to be 73.  In point of fact, most of the presidents--25 of the 45--lived past the age of 70.  And of those who didn't, four were assassinated and one is still living and hasn't yet reached age 70.  So we're really talking about 20 of the 45 who didn't live to see age 70.

So yeah--your snarky point doesn't hold water.

Washington could have lived longer if they didn't drain all that blood.

18 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This doesn't prove what you think it does.

It takes a Barack Obama level political talent for a black person to win these states. It takes Rick Santorum for a white person to win them.

Forgive me for holding our politicians to the high standard of Barack Obama

Just now, bad_teammate said:

What does this mean?

It means that you're dead wrong in everything you have written on this thread.

You wrote: "*looks at headshots of America's presidents*," implying that American presidents have routinely been septuagenarians.

I pointed out that's not true.

You wrote: "for most of America's existence being 70 and functional wasn't really an option."

I pointed out that's not true.

You then wrote: "It's not just about technically being alive, but vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace."

I pointed out that previous presidents were plenty vital at age 70, and that being vital enough to be considered worthy by the populace wasn't the issue.

Now, in true BT form, you say "what's your point" or "what does this mean," trying to ignore the wrongness of everything you've just written.

What it means is what I wrote at the outset of this little dialogue--it is absurd that our choice is limited to three septuagenarians.  It's ridiculous.  It's stupid.  And it's unprecedented.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

What it means is what I wrote at the outset of this little dialogue--it is absurd that our choice is limited to three septuagenarians.  It's ridiculous.  It's stupid.  And it's unprecedented.

It was also unprecedented for a black man to win the nomination. It was also unprecedented for a woman to win the nomination. It's unprecedented for a Jew to be in a strong position to get the nomination.

Unprecedented is not the same thing as ridiculous and stupid.

It was also unprecedented for a black man to win the nomination. It was also unprecedented for a woman to win the nomination. It's unprecedented for a Jew to be in a strong position to get the nomination.
Unprecedented is not the same thing as ridiculous and stupid.

I know. That’s why I said it was ridiculous and stupid and unprecedented. I’m not in the habit of being redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Booker, Mayor PeteB

If your ideology is libertarian/right/center-right, then I agree.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know. That’s why I said it was ridiculous and stupid and unprecedented. I’m not in the habit of being redundant.

Why "stupid"?

Why "ridiculous"?

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I think because in every other area of endeavor over 70 isn't the sweet spot for success, or capability.

In a generalized sense, sure, but in a case-by-case, not necessarily.

Luckily for us, we're not picking between Generic 50-year-old, Generic 40-year-old, and Generic 70-year-old. We have individual humans to consider.

• Like 1