American food in Germany....

Brisketexan

So, my daughter was just at a grocery story outside of Cologne.  They have this display up, featuring "Specialties from America" -

eb3b511980db56e92f6c7fa3363cf65e.jpg

What are we most proud of here?  The Fireball?  The Bud Light (paging Steel Shank)?  Dr. Pepper?  Twinkies?  The Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce?  Kraft Mac n Cheese?  Or, is the clear winner...Easy Cheese?

When I was working in Belgium for a few months, my hotel bar always featured an "import beer of the month."  I was sitting there ordering some of the most delicious Belgian beers on the planet, and the Belgians and other Euros staying at the hotel with me were gleefully ordering up buckets of Corona.

The next month, it was Coors Extra Gold.  No lie.

Anyway, I'll go with that most American snack cake of them all-- the Swiss cake rolls.

Not Germany . . . but the day my starter wife and I separated, I was commiserating with a buddy and he said "I'm flying to London tomorrow, just come meet me there".

Sounded like a helluva idea, so I did.  I grabbed a hotel in a skeezy part of town, went up to my room, and outside my door was a vending machine with 2 items:  Eskimo Pies and American Budweiser.  I grabbed a pie and a few Buds, went in the room, turned on the BBC, and what was playing?  Linklater's "Dazed & Confused".  At that point I knew everything was gonna be alright.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't understand that.  Fanta is actually German.  And the German version is way better (actually uses some real orange juice for flavoring).

You have to mix it with Coke delicious...

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I can't argue against some of the choices for most 'Murican among those choice, but there is Marshmallow creme on that shell. Marshmallow... Creme.. . which contains:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Dried Egg White, Vanillin

I don't know what Vanillin is, but Corn Syrup and Sugar are the first two ingredients. That allow makes a strong case for Fluff, yeah, Fluff, as most American. 

Easy Cheese.. that's pretty compelling along with racist syrup, but my vote goes to corn syrup in a jar with sugar added. 

You make a compelling point.  And my daughter asked why in the hell they had that, she's only eaten it maybe twice in her life.  My hypothesis was (1) fluff is popular among large, white midwestern types...(2) who are often of German stock.  So....maybe there's some family connection?  I dunno.  It's not a well-developed hypothesis.  My grant funding ran out.

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’ll be in Berlin next week. Always hit up Aldi and Netto. The latter sells “Texas BBQ” which of course is Pork with sweet BBQ sauce that was boiled in a soda of some type.

When we were in Berlin last summer, ended up talking to some dudes selling handmade jewelry.  Their German wasn't great, so my daughter had a hard time with them, she asked about their English -- also not strong.  They said "Spanish?"  So I helped out.  Turns out they were Mexican, and they were THRILLED to have someone from the vicinity of their homeland to talk to.  They happily told me about a new place that had just opened that has REAL tortillas, the only ones in Berlin.  Made me chuckle a bit, but then shudder -- man, I'd miss tortillas.

I was just in Greece and could throw a few in here for shits and giggles....

Flank steak tacos: marinated flank steak, pico de gallo, and guacamole.... except the flank steak was basically stewed sweet and spicy Chinese buffet beef. Odd combo. 

Also noticed a grilled turkey club sandwich with turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and barbecue sauce 

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

See how close that all that pasta is to all the Ketchup.. do you know why? I was an exchange student in Germany, and I can promise you, you don't want to know why. 

Can't even get decent food. Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody. Get to live the rest of my life like a schnook.

• Haha 2

I was in Berlin years ago with a group of guys coming from a weekend wedding in Poland. I'm pretty sure half of us had alcohol poisoning. Somebody suggested going to this "Mexican" restaurant. The queso was high school football game nacho cheese. I ordered the hamburger to be safe. The other guys food looked terrible. 

Friend took me to an Italian outside of Munich.  Called Trattoria Senza Nome which means " no name". Back then place has zero internet presence (and barely does now).  It's some wooden house next to a horse stable....outside smells like horseshit and was unmarked.   Inside the family German Shepherd roams around. They don't take CCs and was one of the best meals I've had

7 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

There's a place in Grapevine that has a killer selection. I believe it's called GermanDeli.

This. Although, they've actually moved to Colleyville at the corner of Glade and 121 right by Hall's Grocery. Much bigger place than the original location off Southlake Blvd...and now they offer a great selection of German beers.

When we lived in the area my Kraut wife would hit that place up weekly to buy the groceries from home that she couldn't find elsewhere...of course at 4 times the price for much of the imported groceries and Christmas stollen/lebkuchen.

Great store owned by really good people.

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I can't argue against some of the choices for most 'Murican among those choice, but there is Marshmallow creme on that shell. Marshmallow... Creme.. . which contains:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Dried Egg White, Vanillin

I don't know what Vanillin is, but Corn Syrup and Sugar are the first two ingredients. That allow makes a strong case for Fluff, yeah, Fluff, as most American. 

Easy Cheese.. that's pretty compelling along with racist syrup, but my vote goes to corn syrup in a jar with sugar added. 

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You make a compelling point.  And my daughter asked why in the hell they had that, she's only eaten it maybe twice in her life.  My hypothesis was (1) fluff is popular among large, white midwestern types...(2) who are often of German stock.  So....maybe there's some family connection?  I dunno.  It's not a well-developed hypothesis.  My grant funding ran out.

Isn't marshmallow creme a key ingredient in rice crispy treats?

In Germany in the early '70's we went to quite a few Officers' Clubs on US facilities - from Berchtesgarten to North of Frankfurt.  Above the bar there was always a folded card on a shelf that announced "We Also Serve American Beer."  Never saw, or heard, anyone ordering anything other than the local German beer.

6 hours ago, ScottishHorn said:

Americans seem to be great at creating foods than can remain edible for a century...velveeta is one.  

The Danes didn't consider a processed "cheese" a real food product especially when it doesn't need to be refrigerated...  and I can attest that after about 4 years, it does go old...

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 4:03 PM, Brisketexan said:

So, my daughter was just at a grocery story outside of Cologne.  They have this display up, featuring "Specialties from America" -

What are we most proud of here?  The Fireball?  The Bud Light (paging Steel Shank)?  Dr. Pepper?  Twinkies?  The Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce?  Kraft Mac n Cheese?  Or, is the clear winner...Easy Cheese?

Definitely fireball.  Looks like a 7 eleven

I can now go visit Germany.