2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

so.. it's over.  go home.

last call for alchohol.

what did we learn?

this is actually me writing, not quoting btw....

1. Internationally, growing up I learned the sport with the acronym "the big 4" meaning Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy.  Spain's titles in 08/10/12 changed that to the "Big 5", but now with 2 stars above their crest, if Spain gets in with 1, then France must make it the "Big 6".  Right?

2. VAR works.

3. All of the big leagues in Europe need to set up VAR immediately for this season.

4. The world is not ready.  At 32 teams the wheat/chaff ratio is bad..  At 48 with 3-team groups it's going to be catastrophic.  And the US will be blamed for the disaster.

5. Supporting England is an exercise in hopium for a nostalgia and halcyon ideal that no longer is, but like Camelot, may one day be again.

6. A survey of the western press indicates that despite Russia's poor road system, the precision with which this cup was executed was nothing short of remarkable.  We won't hear anything about this in the US press because it's not part of the program.

7. After careful observation, it is now safe to say there was zero corruption.  Shocking that FIFA and Vlad could combine to deliver a clean event.  And yet, they did.

8. England has joined Mexico in their ability to go full aggy.  Never go full aggy.

Thanks to everyone for keeping it mostly clean.

You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

• Like 1

I agree about the 48 team Final series, it will be extremely one sided in some games with some minnows making appearances.

VAR....we have it in the A-League, it can absolutely do your head in when its every match in a season but I do think it was effective at stopping a lot of the holding/grabbing in the Box at set pieces here.

England - Hopium - great word

On 7/15/2018 at 10:38 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

2. VAR works.

3. All of the big leagues in Europe need to set up VAR immediately for this season.

Regarding VAR, i think it worked well when determining a foul (or simulation), but i hate it for determining a handball since the flow of the game w/r/t handballs can't necessarily be extrapolated frame-by-frame*. It usually looked worse in slo-mo than during actual gameplay, and I think the ability to expound on such a violation doesn't do the game justice. But for determining contact/neymar, I'm all for it. One caveat: I don't think i saw a yellow handed out for simulation during the WC and i think that needs to be emphasized as a penalty.

*this is coming from a lifelong LB

28 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I kinda miss world cup. Was a fun 4 weeks of action every day that helps lead up to college football kickoff

Just pick an EPL team and it never ends.  You get to wake up on Saturday prior to CFB kickoff and watch better soccer while drinking your coffee.  Then you lead right into the CFB day. Not to mention Sunday morning games as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Just pick an EPL team and it never ends.  You get to wake up on Saturday prior to CFB kickoff and watch better soccer while drinking your coffee.  Then you lead right into the CFB day. Not to mention Sunday morning games as well.

Just don't pick Everton. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

And if you like beer, find a soccer bar and start drinking at 7am. After your coffee of course.

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Really love how proud the Croatia team and fans are by their performance. Sometimes life isn’t always about finishing first. They had an amazing tournament and should be proud. 

Texas baseball's run through the 2009 CWS is one of my best sports memories, despite losing the final to LSU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Texas baseball's run through the 2009 CWS is one of my best sports memories, despite losing the final to LSU.

And Texas baseball's second half of this past season was pretty great too, despite the finish in Omaha.

• Like 3

Love Texas baseball, but the World Cup is the best. I have not missed a game since 1986 and am thinking about going to Qatar for the next one and staying for the holidays. Christmas is fun in the Middle East. 
Me and a friend are planning on going...i have been trying to get my friends/brother to save 50$ a month during the 4 year wait since 2002 but everytime i check they havent.. They are on it now and i haved asked them every month since January.
Kinda hope it gets moved though so i dont have to go to qatar lol

You can go back to Shaggy if you would like, but 2010 I was working at home and watched  pretty much every single match. I casually watched WC and some CL games with friends before that. That is when I decided I wanted to watch more soccer. I asked Shaggy for advice on which team. Based on some advice there, having read Fever Pitch  because I love Nick Hornby, and a co-worker that would always have the Arsenal CL scorecast on, I decided to check out the local Arsenal Supporters Group. I found a Yahoo Group and figured out they watched at Cuatro’s. I enlisted a friend that is a Chelsea fan to go with me to the first game of the 2010-11 season at Cuatro’s. I expected 10-15 people there. It was against Liverpool. I walked in and saw a bar full of red shirts, half Arsenal/half Liverpool. 150 easily. I met the leader of the Austin Gooners.

Arsenal lost, but I was hooked. Never looked back.

Fast forward 8 years, and I have been the president of Austin Gooners/Branch manager, and on the board for 6 years. I am also on the board of Arsenal America, and deal with Arsenal FC regularly for member relations.

I blame all of this on the daily threads Hagbard posted that helped me understand all of the nuances of the international teams during the 2010 WC.

So, if Everton is your team , run with it. You can do some great things with local supporter groups. But you gotta drop any thoughts of Liverpool.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Me and a friend are planning on going...i have been trying to get my friends/brother to save 50$ a month during the 4 year wait since 2002 but everytime i check they havent.. They are on it now and i haved asked them every month since January.
Kinda hope it gets moved though so i dont have to go to qatar lol

Qatar can be pretty fun if you get into the right hotel with the right bars. 

Don't generally enjoy soccer (won't rehash the old arguments on that one) but the WC brings an extra element of nationalism into it, which makes it really intriguing, plus the rest of the world (press, fans, etc.) not named "The United States" (or I guess Canada, but hey, it's Canada) flips their shit over victories/defeats, it's kind of fun to watch in a good way.  Kind of like the Olympics - you generally won't tune in to see the biathlon because man I really can't get enough biathlon, but during the Olympics, you watch stuff you won't even think about the rest of the 3 25/26 years.  

I just kinda wished England could have played France. They've only met twice of course in WC competition, and never in a knockout game.  For all the talk of civility and how there really isn't a case of  love lost between them any more in our "enlightened" and highly migratory age, when I did my research in England, I pretty much learned that, no, there really is.  I'd have loved for the gloves to come off and each country commence to insulting the other scathingly, as they generally have for, oh, I dunno, 1,400 years or so.

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Don't generally enjoy soccer (won't rehash the old arguments on that one) but the WC brings an extra element of nationalism into it, which makes it really intriguing, plus the rest of the world (press, fans, etc.) not named "The United States" (or I guess Canada, but hey, it's Canada) flips their shit over victories/defeats, it's kind of fun to watch in a good way.  Kind of like the Olympics - you generally won't tune in to see the biathlon because man I really can't get enough biathlon, but during the Olympics, you watch stuff you won't even think about the rest of the 3 25/26 years.  

I just kinda wished England could have played France. They've only met twice of course in WC competition, and never in a knockout game.  For all the talk of civility and how there really isn't a case of  love lost between them any more in our "enlightened" and highly migratory age, when I did my research in England, I pretty much learned that, no, there really is.  I'd have loved for the gloves to come off and each country commence to insulting the other scathingly, as they generally have for, oh, I dunno, 1,400 years or so.

In my experience, the English are among the most bigoted people I've ever met.  It's not just race, color, or socioeconomic status over there, it's also Nationalism stacked on top of that.  They have a derogatory slur word for the people of every nation in Europe, and much of the rest of the world.  And plenty of slurs for people within their own country, too.

I love Europe and especially Southern Europe, but I've spent so much time working and living among them over there I can only laugh when Americans who've never traveled, hold Europe up as some bastion of enlightened open multiculturalism.  It's always amusing.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I love Europe and especially Southern Europe, but I've spent so much time working and living among them over there I can only laugh when Americans who've never traveled, hold Europe up as some bastion of enlightened open multiculturalism.  It's laughable.

I hear ya.  I've traveled a lot there too and agree.  As much as I enjoy some parts of Europe, god it always feels like taking a cleansing shower getting back to the States.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

In my experience, the English are among the most bigoted people I've ever met.  It's not just race, color, or socioeconomic status over there, it's also Nationalism stacked on top of that.  They have a derogatory slur word for the people of every nation in Europe, and much of the rest of the world.  And plenty of slurs for people within their own country, too.

I love Europe and especially Southern Europe, but I've spent so much time working and living among them over there I can only laugh when Americans who've never traveled, hold Europe up as some bastion of enlightened open multiculturalism.  It's always amusing.

So just like here then. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:17 AM, utee94 said:

When the majority of your country is made up of doughy white sickly trash, you look to the handful of respectable people in your population and try to claim some sort of superiority due to their status.

It's not uncommon, but they have almost nothing to be proud of so when when someone they look up to does well, they feel the need to shout down anyone who is not like their idol. The majority of them would have supported a certain political character in the U.S., but this isn't Cloak Room, so that's all I'm going to say about that.

When the majority of your country is made up of doughy white sickly trash, you look to the handful of respectable people in your population and try to claim some sort of superiority due to their status.
It's not uncommon, but they have almost nothing to be proud of so when when someone they look up to does well, they feel the need to shout down anyone who is not like their idol. The majority of them would have supported a certain political character in the U.S., but this isn't Cloak Room, so that's all I'm going to say about that.
That second paragraph... You don't know anything about the English. Nothing to be proud of, really. Willing to support Trump.. indeed.