2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

German's HOME kit look less German than Egypt's AWAY kit.

Also, Germany's AWAY kit looks like it was destined for Mexico and someone accidentally put the Germany badge & 4 stars on it and they decided to just saw "Ah... fuck it, no one will care." This kit screams "EL TRI!!!"

Germany-Away.jpg&w=1600&q=70

21 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Love Nigeria's away...

Agreed. I also like both of Croatia's (the checkerboard rocks) and Peru's as well (love the classic slash).

I like that Brazil's HOME uniform is their classic kit without any stupid graphics. They're AWAY is ok as well, but it isn't as classic as their HOME.

Argentina's HOME is good (although the all-white sleeve looks a little too white), but I don't like the black or the stupid graphics on the AWAY kit. adidas did the same crappy graphics on Colombia's HOME kit and it looks even worse than on Argentina's AWAY. Mexico's HOME kit also got touched with similar shitty graphics, but it doesn't look as bad as the other two.

I like Belgium's AWAY kit, but their HOME looks kind of stupid.

France's AWAY and Japan's HOME kits look like pajamas. Russia & Portugal's AWAY kits kind of fall into this category as well. (Portugal's HOME kit is nice and classic. Easy to identify.)

Nigeria's HOME and Saudi Arabia's AWAY kit are the exact same. Nike spent ZERO TIME even thinking about these two kits.

Not sure why Uruguay has four stars instead of two, but I'm okay with the slightly off-color sun graphic on their HOME kit, because it's a part of their flag. (Like Argentina's.)

And I pretty much like all of PUMA's kits. They always add a nice bit of "cool" to their kits.

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

German's HOME kit look less German than Egypt's AWAY kit.

Also, Germany's AWAY kit looks like it was destined for Mexico and someone accidentally put the Germany badge & 4 stars on it and they decided to just saw "Ah... fuck it, no one will care." This kit screams "EL TRI!!!"

Germany-Away.jpg&w=1600&q=70

Germany had similar green away kits from 92-94

Edited by Bottlecap

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not sure why Uruguay has four stars instead of two, but I'm okay with the slightly off-color sun graphic on their HOME kit, because it's a part of their flag. (Like Argentina's.)

They won the de facto World Cups at the Olympics prior to the FIFA creating the tournament in 1924 and 1928.

link

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 11:06 AM, JNip said:

10th year of ConcaChampions and 10 Mexican champions. 7 of the 10 finalists have been Mexican and 3 from the MLS. 

This year's champion, Chivas, is the 17th place out of 18 teams in LIGA MX.. That's just dominance. 

what happened to the top 3 LIGA MX team's in this year's tourney?   since 17th place is winning

They basically have to. Look at their roster, Salah and a bunch of guys you've never heard of.

It kind of demonstrates the weird relationship between clubs and the countries soccer associations. Egypt's goal is to make the best showing they can at the World Cup and if that involves playing Salah and potentially taking him away from Liverpool for the start of the season, that's their call. Egypt doesn't owe Liverpool any loyalty for it.

12 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Watched Mexico last night and saw Korea highlights. Best I can tell is that Mexico is going to get obliterated in all three games.

I have to agree. I don’t like anything about Mexico right now. 

This summer in Russia just got a little crazier. And although I still hope that the host nation doesn't earn a single point, and just today they lost a friendly vs Austria 1-0, the whole Russia thing is just going to be strange, strange, strange.

* * * * EDIT!!! EDIT!!! EDIT!!! * * * *

‘Dead’ Russian Journalist Appears at News Conference in Ukraine

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/world/europe/arkady-babchenko-russian-journalist-not-killed.html

* * * * EVERYTHING BELOW IS WHAT ORIGINALLY WAS RELEASED... * * * *

Crazy story below...

This is a little more RUSSIA and little less soccer...

Russia's opposition journalist Arkady Babchenko shot dead in Kiev
_101802108_047119088.jpg
Arkady Babchenko was a prominent Russian journalist and veteran of the Chechen wars

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44296672?SThisFB

I'm kind of okay with skipping this World Cup.

(And the next one.)

Edited by Napoleon

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Number of French NT players at WC 2018: 23

Nunber Of French-born players playing for other squads at WC 2018: 28

Tunisia, Senegal, and Morocco have 8 apiece

Algeria must be jealous!!

In 2010, when the US played them, 11 of the 14 players who saw the field for Algeria were French born.

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He was competing with Draxler and Reus on the left side. Not sure he's better than either of those two.

He can play right or left and was much better than both in the last 6 months. Arguably all season. He definitely had a better season and international campaign than Brandt. 

22 hours ago, maninblack said:

Very few German players have played well recently and there's some bigger pre-madonnas on the squad

I'm trying to think who would be a noteworthy Pre-Madonna and I'm thinking either Belinda Carlisle or Deborah Harry perhaps, but I can't really think of anyone else.

Britney Spears might fall into the Post-Madonna category.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2