Led Zeppelin

Deej

The Ocean is great and all, but “best” Zep song?  Nah.  I’d rank at least all of the following higher:

Good Times, Bad Times

Dazed and Confused

I Can’t Quit You, Babe

You Shook Me

Lemon Song

Whole Lotta Love

Bring it on Home

Immigrant Song

Rock ‘n Roll

Black Dog

Houses of the Holy

Dancing Days

God damn, these dudes put out some great ducking music.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Ten Years Gone is an absolutely spectacular song. Amazing. It would be the best song most bands ever recorded or released. Same with The Rain Song. 

And I doubt many people who aren't "into" Zeppelin even know those exist. 

The Rain Song is my absolute favorite.  

Led Zeppelin were more than songwriters.  They were composers.

Zep was slightly before my time (born in 1970).   So I knew of them and could appreciate their songs, but I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.

Well, I’ve gotten on a Jimmy Page kick as a player, so I recently picked up this book on Kindle and am reading it while listening to each album more thoroughly and in chronological order.

Totally different experience and a newfound appreciation for Page and the whole band, maybe particularly JPJ who was such a glue as a multi-instrumentalist. The book isn’t even that great, it definitely reveals some background to the songs and things in the mixes you might miss, but it’s got too much “And then Page played a solo that revealed why he is regarded as one of the best Rock guitarists of all time” without much elaboration.

Rather, the experience for me is different listening to where they are at a moment in time when an album is released, the feel of each album and their progression as a band and as individual musicians. I’ve come to absolutely love LZ III when maybe one of its songs would have made my top 10 Zep songs just listening to randomized collections of their music.

Anyway, it’s an interesting experience that I would recommend if you missed them in real time like I did.

• Like 2

The Ocean would not be my number 1 Zep song. It does have a fantastically catchy main riff that was the first Zep piece I learned to play

I might pick “Ramble On” just because it highlights so much of what they could do so well.  Mellow folksy verses, rocking chorus with a wicked Bonham back beat, Plant’s full range on display, Page soloing through a Leslie, JPJ being melodic with the bass, etc...  

Only thing it doesn’t feature is am iconic hard rock riff like Black Dog, Good Times/Bad Times, The Ocean.

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.

Well, I’ve gotten on a Jimmy Page kick as a player, so I recently picked up this book on Kindle and am reading it while listening to each album more thoroughly and in chronological order.

I did this recently. I don't think I'd ever listened to their music in the album format it was released in (I bought the two boxed sets when they came out, so to me that running order was natural). Liked it even better that way-- it is one thing to read about how LZIII was written and positioned artistically, etc, with the greater emphasis on acoustic numbers, but hearing the evolution of their use of acoustic material from "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" on the first record to the second side of LZ3 is a whole different thing. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 11:19 PM, TexArcher said:

The Rain Song is my absolute favorite.  

Led Zeppelin were more than songwriters.  They were composers.

Not Page, but this guy does a pretty good job with some of the best riffs. Still have vivid memories of sitting around one particular dive bar in college, drinking beer, and listening to LedZep riffs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Ten Years Gone is an absolutely spectacular song. Amazing. It would be the best song most bands ever recorded or released. Same with The Rain Song. 

And I doubt many people who aren't "into" Zeppelin even know those exist. 

Ten Years Gone, Rain Song, That’s the Way are probably my 3 favorite Zepp songs.  

they have about 20 songs that would be the best song 98% of bands had ever made, and played in a long career of touring just on those songs.   The fact that their catalog is just chock full of entire albums where every song is a “no-skip” is testament to their creative greatness 

Edited by Trey3216

Zep was slightly before my time (born in 1970).   So I knew of them and could appreciate their songs, but I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.
Totally different experience and a newfound appreciation for Page and the whole band, maybe particularly JPJ who was such a glue as a multi-instrumentalist. The book isn’t even that great, it definitely reveals some background to the songs and things in the mixes you might miss, but it’s got too much “And then Page played a solo that revealed why he is regarded as one of the best Rock guitarists of all time” without much elaboration.
Rather, the experience for me is different listening to where they are at a moment in time when an album is released, the feel of each album and their progression as a band and as individual musicians. I’ve come to absolutely love LZ III when maybe one of its songs would have made my top 10 Zep songs just listening to randomized collections of their music.
Anyway, it’s an interesting experience that I would recommend if you missed them in real time like I did.

See that’s strange to me because I was born in ‘72 and I had every album on cassette and listened to them incessantly all through high school. I bought the box sets too just to get extra songs like Travelling Riverside Blues.
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than spending the weekend starting on track one of Zep I and listening in order all the way to the last track on Coda. 

We used to do this in college once a year. We called it LZ Lab and listened to all of the studio albums back to back. It’s almost exactly 7 hours and it helps if you have a lot of weed.

I made a Spotify playlist for it.

https://open.spotify.com/user/jackgt72/playlist/3b7rr9Ho4IKa6pUjyDFMvs?si=k-8sqwvXQOefUFYooa5ZEw
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

See that’s strange to me because I was born in ‘72 and I had every album on cassette and listened to them incessantly all through high school. I bought the box sets too just to get extra songs like Travelling Riverside Blues.

Might have been where I grew up (small town west Texas).  By the time my peers and I started to get into hard rock/heavy metal Zep was disbanded and we were listening to Van Halen, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, I know pedals and effects and amp/mic placement are all critical to a great sound...not just on stage, but in the studio.  But listen to what Page does, his proclivity and virtuoso-levels are apparent on so many types of guitars.  Think about how many great axe legends are so brilliant at one or two variations/models.  Then listen to Page as he works effortlessly with a full dozen guitars, all bespoke to just a certain little sound on every single song across the astral plane.  

Oh to have been a college freshman in the city of Houston in the fall of 1969 and to have then been introduced to Led Zeppelin I, weed and Pacifica radio all in the span of a few weeks, and then with all that, to have added Zep II to the mix, that was very hood indeed.

It launched a young man to another level of awareness.  This was major karma at work and I am so thankful to have experienced it.  Actually had a promotional record store inflatable Led Zeppelin hanging frim my ceiling.  God, where is it now?  Spent a year one Friday night in some wreck of a shack out behind a friend's house in Center, Texas listening to I and II over and over and over.  Part of me is still there.  Thank you Jimmy, Bonzo, Robert and John.  If I only had one musical hat to tip in my life, it would have to be to the Beatles, for changing music forever and for the better, but these other four guys worked so many fine unforgettable wonders.  There's still time to change the road we're on.  Ohhh, yes.  Turn on the smoke machines and cue up No Quarter and let loose the dogs of doom.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 8:21 PM, Deej said:

Heart did such a fantastic job. The choir wearing the bowlers was a nice touch.

EVerytime I ever saw Heart live they always tossed in a Zep cover in their shows. Seen them several times back in the day and defiinitely recall Rock and Roll and Misty Mountain Hop.

Edited by Nole-4-Life
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 1:13 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

Blueberry Hill tonight.

Plant’s voice is so on point. At its peak.

Everything here is so good. Fuck!

(Side note: this YT channel is legit)

https://youtu.be/LEq8hcSD8qY

That is a legit channel.  Seems like something JP must be behind considering how guarded he's been about the LZ legacy.  

Anyhow, from an early show to the very last show:

23 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That is a legit channel.  Seems like something JP must be behind considering how guarded he's been about the LZ legacy.  

Anyhow, from an early show to the very last show:

To follow up, there is some awesome stuff in this set, especially at the start (Trampled Under Foot/Kashmir).  

But jeebus if you ever wanted an argument as to why Jimmy didn't need to be on the smack, listen to White Summer/Black Mountain Side/ Stairway.  

Interesting historical piece though. Crazy that the opener is the first song they ever jammed on and here it is in their last set ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...