Led Zeppelin

Deej

On 1/31/2020 at 2:55 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Pretty good compilation of the last tour.

I have a bunch of bootlegs from those shows on CD.

Damn, Page with the Karen Carpenter arms. Surprised he can hold up that Les Paul. Heroin is a helluva a drug. 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I have a bunch of bootlegs from those shows on CD.

Damn, Page with the Karen Carpenter arms. Surprised he can hold up that Les Paul. Heroin is a helluva a drug. 

No doubt.  I'm listening to some 75 shows now, and they sound pretty fit as a band.  Way better than in 1980.  

The road is hard my friend, yeah the road is fucking tough. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

When Page kicks in with the fuzzed guitar... holy shit.  Gets me every time.  

So classic.  They’re so fucking incredible.  Like I mentioned a few posts up, In the Light is so fucking underrated.   So many incredible transitions in that song.  

On 1/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, tbone_ said:

That was a great version. However, and maybe it’s just me, but that crew seems like they take themselves way too seriously.

Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch are absolutely incredible, I’ll let them pass on taking themselves seriously, because they should.  

Big fan here, but for a guy who complains frequently that he doesn't want to do the whole rock-n-roll frontman/sex object anymore at his age...remember Plant was still 48 in this video.  

48 and wearing essentially the outfit of Jennifer Beals from "Flashdance."  Let them do one more show before it's all said and done, please  !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of that clip, with Jimmy playing "The Ocean" riff at MSG, slack-shouldered, Les Paul hanging below his waist, wearing the black dragon suit, is just an iconic visual.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

LINK

Austin Chronicle: What is the most interesting item you’ve come across while packing?

Jeff Pinkus: John Paul Jones’ broken bass string from 1992.

He produced [the Butthole Surfers album]Independent Worm Saloon. Our label wanted us to work with [the Led Zeppelin bassist], because he expressed interest and our A&R guy was British, so he was all about it. They put us on this group phone call and we start talking about dogs.

He said his dogs were Pekingese and we all knew what that was, but he had to clarify by going, “You know, that was the dog they had in Hart to Hart.” Back then, me and Paul [Leary] especially, we’d wake up, do bong hits, and put on TV and watch whatever came on and Hart to Hart was one of our regulars. So when he mentioned Pekingese dogs and Hart to Hart, we were like, “Oh my god, this is our dude!”

We spent two weeks with him in Austin. He was super cool and we drove him to quit drinkin’.

He liked my Guild hollow body bass. We were doing a song where I was playing banjo and he was playing bass. Then he snapped a string. He told me that was the first string he ever broke.

I called bullshit on that and he said, “No, for real” and offered to buy me a pack of strings. I said, “Just write me a note saying this is the first string I ever broke.” So then, in the morning, he did this cool calligraphy thing with the string all wound up saying, “I, John Paul Jones, do hereby declare that this is the first string I ever broke.”

I found it in a flat box with “most important” written on it.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

So John Paul Jones did a two week residency in Austin in 1992?  I Had never heard that before.  I'm sure more musicians have stories with him then, this sounds like a rabbit hole I'll be doing down tonight since I talk with so many musicians in my home on Monday nights during a lockdown.  Cool story though, have some rep.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

So John Paul Jones did a two week residency in Austin in 1992?  I Had never heard that before.  I'm sure more musicians have stories with him then, this sounds like a rabbit hole I'll be doing down tonight since I talk with so many musicians in my home on Monday nights during a lockdown.  Cool story though, have some rep.

Yeah, I remember reading about it at the time in the Chronicle, you can probably find some stuff in their archives.  My brother was good friends with Pinkus and hung around him at that time.  I don't think he ever met JPJ, although he could have and just never mentioned it (come to think of it, he may have...).  After he (my brother) passed away I do remember going through his stuff and finding a cassette of LZ II wih the J-card autographed by JPJ, but I left it for his roommates...