Led Zeppelin

Deej

Ok, I watched that Greta video and another one of them live at Coachella.

Eh. They're basically a LZ cover band. The dude's voice is an exact replica of Plant's, except not as good.  The live performance was almost painful.  The singer and the guitarist were trying to adlib like Plant & Page would with the voice and guitar.  Didn't work here.  The singer even tried to move his hips and hands like Plant.

I do appreciate their trying to get rock mainstream again.  It's far better than this BS stuff they call rap today that all the kids listen to.

Rock has lacked balls for quite some time.  That's why the kids have gravitated toward the other stuff.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Better than nothing I suppose.  But I am holding out hope they make a handful of shows in the U.S.  England may be their home, but this is where they made their mark.  

15 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Ok, I watched that Greta video and another one of them live at Coachella.

Eh. They're basically a LZ cover band. The dude's voice is an exact replica of Plant's, except not as good.  The live performance was almost painful.  The singer and the guitarist were trying to adlib like Plant & Page would with the voice and guitar.  Didn't work here.  The singer even tried to move his hips and hands like Plant.

I do appreciate their trying to get rock mainstream again.  It's far better than this BS stuff they call rap today that all the kids listen to.

Rock has lacked balls for quite some time.  That's why the kids have gravitated toward the other stuff.

they are from michigan about 2 hours from me. I’ve never watched them live only heard 4 songs my brother Inlaw showed me. This video is the first I have heard or have seen them live. They are totally trying to be Led Zeplin from the songs to the riffs and the clothing. Weird looking dudes. 

As far as Led Zeplin in is concerned they are unreal. They are like the Beatles for me. I can literally put on Spotify and just play them on shuffle and get 20 songs deep before I have to skip a track

Edited by Bogeywon
Spelling idiot
  • Like 2

I was trying to be Jimmy Page at 16 as well, so I can't blame them for trying on that look.  Nothing out there is like it right now.  

Only difference is Jimmy and JPJ were extremely talented session musicians, while Bonzo and Plant were just crazy talents dropped to earth from the Gods of Rock. 

While I enjoy these guys, I don't think they were blessed with the kind of natural talent LZ had.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was trying to be Jimmy Page at 16 as well, so I can't blame them for trying on that look.  Nothing out there is like it right now.  

Only difference is Jimmy and JPJ were extremely talented session musicians, while Bonzo and Plant were just crazy talents dropped to earth from the Gods of Rock. 

While I enjoy these guys, I don't think they were blessed with the kind of natural talent LZ had.  

To add they are new to touring big venues so maybe they just need to be more seasoned on stage. GVF that is not LZ

Exactly.  Give the poor kids a break.  LZ is a pretty high (unattainable) comparison to make.  I always feel sorry for bands that get "They're the next LZ/Beatles/Stones!!! OMG!!!!"

No.  They aren't.  And it would suck to try and have to go out there and play with that kind of expectation hanging over you.

They're having fun, they are very young, and hopefully they'll grow into themselves, musically. It's cool some younger kids are playing some guitar rock and getting noticed. Beatles and Stones weren't exactly ripping it up with new ideas in the beginning. Let's see where it goes. Kid needs to take care of his voice, though, or he'll be like Plant after the first 3 or 4 albums, and hurt those vocal chords.

I linked that video because Deej was depressed about the state of music kids are putting out. Just trying to show a possibly suicidal brother that there is still a spark and the world might yet be worth saving.

But, yeah, you should definately temper your appreciation for this little bit of rock because they aren't The Zep, a group composed of 4 of the greatest musicians on their respective instruments and/or mixing desk.

Also, ditto on Chris Stapleton. Obviously. Perro, por que no los dos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Beatles and Stones weren't exactly ripping it up with new ideas in the beginning. 

This. I'll give 'em a chance. Here's a handy list of every band that a lot of critics initially hated and accused of being too derivative, rip-off artists, and a poor man's version of _______:

1) Every band/singer that has ever existed.

That said, they won't get far without finding their own voice though, figuratively and literally. The Darkness, for example, were fun because it was like seeing/hearing Queen, but eventually they got boring and just made you appreciate Queen more than you already did. 

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Exactly.  Give the poor kids a break.  LZ is a pretty high (unattainable) comparison to make.  I always feel sorry for bands that get "They're the next LZ/Beatles/Stones!!! OMG!!!!"

No.  They aren't.  And it would suck to try and have to go out there and play with that kind of expectation hanging over you.

They brought the comparison on themselves by basing everything they do on LZ.

I find them pretty similar to Wolfmother

On 6/26/2018 at 9:25 PM, Deej said:

Man, Page was straight up skin and bones during this era. I've always heard Jimmy got deep into heroin at some point. The big "source" was Richard Cole, the tour manager who wrote Hammer of the Gods (edit: some other guy wrote the book but relied heavily on Cole),  but all kinds of random people tried to cash in on giving the "dish" on a very private, mysterious guitarist and band. Tons of straight up liars. But if you consider:

1) the intensity, loudness, and indulgence of "Presence" as an album;

2) the freaking clothes he is wearing at this concert;

3) the amount of sweat he is generating;

4) the fact that it is fucking 1979;

...doesn't cocaine make way more sense? I'm pretty sure even Jimmy Carter was doing coke during this era.

Edited by Grandioso
Didn't wikipedia-check myself before posting
  • Like 1

Why not both? 

Jimmy admitted he was doing heroin. I would have a hard time believing he didn't have coke at his disposal. I believe he started in the mid-seventies. Heroin seems to help the creativity in the short term ("Physical Graffiti" and "Presence" probably fell in to that early period, judging by a lot of artists (Keith and "Exile on Main Street" comes to mind), but at some point, you fall off that cliff ("In Through the Out Door" - not the same Page on that album.)

"Presence" may be my most revisited Zep album. Underrated, IMO, and didn't get so overplayed, like the rest of their catalogue. There's also a bit more darkness in those songs, and a distinct lack of hobbits and magick.

3 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I linked that video because Deej was depressed about the state of music kids are putting out. Just trying to show a possibly suicidal brother that there is still a spark and the world might yet be worth saving.

Not depressed, just drunk and listening to Zep, wishing there was more. I didn't even remember starting this thread until I saw it the next morning. Sorry.

(Oh, this morning. Fuck, I'm still drunk.)

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Oh, I just remembered this - you MUST read Chuck Klosterman's interview with Jimmy Page. It came out in GQ in 2014 and was also published in Klosterman's last book (where I read it with some commentary). Klosterman eventually begins to sense he's losing Jimmy by going into the sex/magic/occult stuff so he just goes for broke at the end. His final question (as Jimmy terminates the interview) is something like "Were you interested in the history of the occult and Aleister Crowley or did you actually attempt magic?"

I can't find it online. Doing my best though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

They are not as good as LZ. So what now?  Is there room in your heart for a band that's not as good as LZ or nah?

You're missing the point.  They can be good and have their own image.  Not impersonating a band right down to the hand movements while singing.

59 minutes ago, Lobo said:

that's the book that Led zeppelin fucking hated, way more than all the others.  Saying it was all Cole-inflated bullshit.  

The Cole-influenced book was "Hammer of the Gods", by Stephen Davis. Cole was the primary source.

According to Plant...

He [Davis] did a lot of investigations with a guy who used to work with Led Zeppelin, Richard Cole, who, over the years, had shown deep frustration at not being in a position to have any authority at all. He was tour manager and he had a problem which could have been easily solved if he'd been given something intelligent to do rather than check the hotels, and I think it embittered him greatly. He became progressively unreliable and, sadly, became a millstone around the neck of the group.

These stories would filter out from girls who'd supposedly been in my room when in fact they'd been in his. That sort of atmosphere was being created, and we were quite tired of it. So eventually we relieved him of his position and in the meantime he got paid a lot of money for talking crap. A lot of the time he wasn't completely well. And so his view of things was permanently distorted one way or another.

36 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That Greta Von Fleet band sounds like Muse doing Led Zeppelin covers. It's horribad.

I think they sound exactly Led Zeppelin in nearly every conceivable facet.  I don't hear a single other influence, or even point of comparison.

They're fun, and have potential.  I won't be in 3 albums from now if they don't move on from the straight Zep aping, but it works at this point.

29 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

They are talented.. I dig em and better then a lot of crap out there

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think they sound exactly Led Zeppelin in nearly every conceivable facet.  I don't hear a single other influence, or even point of comparison.

They're fun, and have potential.  I won't be in 3 albums from now if they don't move on from the straight Zep aping, but it works at this point.

100% agree with both of these.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Jackson's dad sounds awesome.

I have been down the rabbit hole with those vids, even seen the one posted here, before I saw it in here. He always plays the same way, as an idiot who only likes computer generated music. Makes me wonder if he was not coached to be the hated one. There is this young girl, that was not in this video, who seems to be a metalhead in the making. The harder the music, the more she seems to like it. While I was going down one of these rabbit holes, came across one of the newest sensations of youtube, first time reactions where hip hop fans are reacting to selected metal, hard rock and country. One of the ones I found, has to be a setup. It is this semi hot white chick who had never hear any Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Metallica, Nirvana, etc. Also, she seems to be able to pinpoint the meaning of these songs upon her first "listening". Seems pretty staged, so maybe Jackson is not an actual moron, maybe he is just being staged as one.