Led Zeppelin

Deej

I was never really a fan of LZ until I started studying music in my spare time and heard Kashmir on the XM station. Jimmy page is in my opinion one of the greatest guitarists of all time. On Kashmir, the time signature of the guitar and drums are completely different but interact in a way that is very unique (drums played in 4/4 and guitar in 6/8). Physical Graffiti is in my top 5 albums of all time.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 4:36 AM, pearlandhorn said:

I was never really a fan of LZ until I started studying music in my spare time and heard Kashmir on the XM station. Jimmy page is in my opinion one of the greatest guitarists of all time. On Kashmir, the time signature of the guitar and drums are completely different but interact in a way that is very unique (drums played in 4/4 and guitar in 6/8). Physical Graffiti is in my top 5 albums of all time.

JPJ has a lot to do with that as well.

Guest Lobo

^

to that point, I wasn't a big fan of "Wearing and Tearing" until I heard the Knebworth version of it.  Now I love it. 

As Jimmy Page said, they pushed out everything.  Not much was kept in the tank except a handful of these songs from Coda.  I don't know that they were trying to capitalize on his death.  I'd like to think it was more of a, "let's leave it all out there and move on" kinda deal.  A couple of those tracks weren't album ready, and even a mixing genius like Page didn't play around with it all very much.  They just shoved it out the door once his body was cold (about 18 mos. later I guess), and then truly went their separate ways for about 10 years or so.  I'm sure they also wanted to infuse his family/estate with a nice cash grab.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^

to that point, I wasn't a big fan of "Wearing and Tearing" until I heard the Knebworth version of it.  Now I love it. 

As Jimmy Page said, they pushed out everything.  Not much was kept in the tank except a handful of these songs from Coda.  I don't know that they were trying to capitalize on his death.  I'd like to think it was more of a, "let's leave it all out there and move on" kinda deal.  A couple of those tracks weren't album ready, and even a mixing genius like Page didn't play around with it all very much.  They just shoved it out the door once his body was cold (about 18 mos. later I guess), and then truly went their separate ways for about 10 years or so.  I'm sure they also wanted to infuse his family/estate with a nice cash grab.  

I was trying to remember "Wearing and Tearing"  thanks for the reminder.

As to trying to capitalize, that was just my cynical take.  I've never seen anything to suggest that was the actual intent of the band.  I'm sure it wasn't.  But I'd be pretty sure Atlantic was all for it.  Nothing to raise record sales like a recently deceased artist.  

On 6/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Deej said:

The Cole-influenced book was "Hammer of the Gods", by Stephen Davis. Cole was the primary source.

According to Plant...

Yeah I always heard Hammer of the Gods was crap and the band hated it.  That's why I bought this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this could be interesting.  

Led Zeppelin is reportedly considering a reunion for its 50th anniversary

LONDON — So much for Robert Plant’s vow to never reunite with his old bandmates.

The 69-year-old former Led Zeppelin frontman is said to be mulling over a reunion for the band’s 50th anniversary, according to a Daily Star UK report.

Plant reportedly first spoke about a potential reunion with guitarist Jimmy Page, 74, and bass player John Paul Jones, 72, last October.

The Daily Star quoted a “well-placed source” with the band, who said “Everyone around the band is buzzing. Jimmy and Robert are talking again and discussing how to celebrate the big anniversary. Realistically, this will be the last time that the band has a reason to reunite.

“At the moment, there are many things on the table being discussed and obviously playing live is one of them. If they won’t play, then they will get other stars out on stage playing their hits and then they would join in.”

Plant, Jones, and Page last played together as Led Zeppelin in 2007. Prior to the latest reunion talks, the plan was for them to attend a celebration of their music, with other performers covering their greatest hits.

But the hope is now that the band’s surviving trio could stage a reunion show — or, at least, join the other performers for a jam session.

“All opportunities are being looked at,” event organizers told the Daily Star.

Deceased drummer John Bonham is likely to be represented by son Jason at the anniversary show, according to the Daily Star.

1 minute ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Nah...just used concepts already discovered and expanded on them like every musician before or since.

I was being tongue in cheek with the "stole" reference.  But really addressing the "ahead of his time" point.  He was ahead of his time - if you discount what people had been doing in blues for the previous 50 years (at least).  

But I think we can both agree that his alternate tuning stuff was pretty damned cool.  Between him and Keef, that's how I came around to them.  So I'll always owe him a debt for that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was being tongue in cheek with the "stole" reference.  But really addressing the "ahead of his time" point.  He was ahead of his time - if you discount what people had been doing in blues for the previous 50 years (at least).  

But I think we can both agree that his alternate tuning stuff was pretty damned cool.  Between him and Keef, that's how I came around to them.  So I'll always owe him a debt for that. 

Right...he uses a lot of open G, which has roots in the old  delta blues, but some of the other tuning he uses, like the one for Rain Song, are pretty far out there. Never seen that one before or since.

And agreed...Page turned me on to open and alternate tuning and I always have a guitar sitting around tuned to open G. It's fun stuff.

Edited by Nole-4-Life

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I will always owe him a debt for my fondness of hand-embroidered dragon suits made by 16 year old groupies.

• Haha 1

In order to have a copy of that song, I had to call in to the radio station and request it, then record it onto a cassette when they played it.

I got it on the first cd compilation they released. I forgot how many trees I had to climb and trim to save for that. But it was worth it.
  • Like 1

Legit. Used one of those adapters in my Dad’s ‘77 Chevy conversion van to play the first Zep I ever owned. A cassette of IV. I can remember exactly where I was when Black Dog cranked up for the first time.

It was southbound on Hwy 198 in Gun Barrel City for anyone interested. Right by the drive by beer barn.

• Like 1

While reading this thread I was also watching this interview with Robert Plant recently on the Q network in Toronto. Some really cool stuff there.

https://youtu.be/mW3O04kOo3k

Love his thoughts when watching videos such as heart singing stairway in the Kennedy honors or an 8 year old Japanese girl playing drums to Good Times, Bad Times

17 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

One of my favorite tracks, and the only one to not be on a studio album. It was the B side to Immigrant Song.

While it is on the much later released deluxe version of CODA, I’m surprised it didn’t get on the original release; there was certainly room for it.

Nice.  Back in the early 1980's, a lot of the record labels re-released a lot of groups' biggest hits on 45, usually 2 hits on one 45, labels like "Columbia Hall of Fame" (got Aerosmith Sweet Emotion/Dream On) or "Epic Sun Gold" (Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/You're My Best Friend), "A&M Forget'Me Nots" (Brothers Johnson Strawberry Letter 23), RCA (David Bowie Space Oddity/The Man Who Sold the World).  I grabbed a ton of those, was able to snag a re-pressing of that Immigrant Song/Hey Hey single.  Still sounds damn good.

Nice.  Back in the early 1980's, a lot of the record labels re-released a lot of groups' biggest hits on 45, usually 2 hits on one 45, labels like "Columbia Hall of Fame" (got Aerosmith Sweet Emotion/Dream On) or "Epic Sun Gold" (Queen Bohemian Rhapsody/You're My Best Friend), "A&M Forget'Me Nots" (Brothers Johnson Strawberry Letter 23), RCA (David Bowie Space Oddity/The Man Who Sold the World).  I grabbed a ton of those, was able to snag a re-pressing of that Immigrant Song/Hey Hey single.  Still sounds damn good.

I bought an original from a seller on Discogs. It plays fine, but it’s still pretty noisy and beat up, unfortunately.

• Like 1

One of my favorite tracks, and the only one to not be on a studio album. It was the B side to Immigrant Song.

While it is on the much later released deluxe version of CODA, I’m surprised it didn’t get on the original release; there was certainly room for it.

I have that 45.

Was in high school in El Paso. A little burger joint across the road called Susie Q's was our hang out for lunch and they were closed down for some reason. Like out of business closed down. It's all kind of a blur but I ended up with the 45 out of the juke box along with a few others one night.

This came in today. Led Zeppelin II Super Deluxe Box, with 2 LPs (look unplayed), 2 CDs (unopened), numbered lithograph, and hardbound book. The book is mostly Zep II era pics, which is cool cause who wants to read. Tons of great behind the scenes making of pics, neat things like the receipt for studio time (love this kinda stuff), marketing materials, and tons of concert pics. Great stuff.

I need to find Super Deluxes of the rest of the first 4 albums and Houses of the Holy.d6a90b2ed372d091b9aa27b8d1c194f1.jpgd9b476606881eab84a8a1072fc0bb4bc.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, theCruiser said:

I was gonna say Page is sweating  like a heroin addict in SE England's summertime balm whilst shredding stringed instruments.  But there he is.  Great version though.  Not enough of their late 70's live stuff is out there.  I realize there wasn't much of it to choose from, but still-=--there were some gems and they're still not out there after all this time.  They've digitally remastered everyything else 9 fucking times, but couple of live shows from their 77/Knebworth/1980 runs can't manage to creep out?  

His Les Paul weighs more than he does.

Awesome!

I’m still trying to find a Robert Ludwig master of LZ II. Yes, you can buy it online for about $100 for a good copy, but I’m trying to hit the jackpot locally (and I ain’t spending $100 on it). It’s the only one of LZ’s studio albums I have that isn’t an original pressing (with a few first US presses in there, too).

• Like 1

Yeah, the Super Deluxes are quite collectable. I found this one for $60, thanks to the box which is scotch tape repaired. The stuff inside was minty, luckily.

I'm not spending the $100+ per to fill out the collection, but if I come across some deals I'll snatch them up with a quickness.

• Like 1