Led Zeppelin

Deej

Man, this thread makes me miss my vinyl collection.  

On a positive note, Robert Plant doing two shows with Lucinda Williams at ACL Moody in late September.  Both sold out quickly as you'd expect, but I know secondary ticket prices will fall as the shows approach.  In particular if the KSU game on Saturday is a night game.  

I saw RP in Tahoe last month with the Space Shifters. Great show. His keyboard player used to be with Portishead and someone else, Mazzy Star maybe. Anyway, get ready for some unique arrangements of some old classics. I loved them.

• Like 1

A few years ago I saw a crowd of people around someone at a terminal bar in Dallas and didn't think too much about it.  As I waited in line to board my flight back to Austin, many from that crowd started walking my way, then past me, and after a quick check-in boarded the plane.  As the crowd walked past, I could see that it was Robert Plant at the center.  When I boarded the plane, it was a scene straight out of the 60s - many of the stewardesses (it was a scene out of the 60s, so "stewardesses!") were crowded around him in the front row, asking him questions and being fans.  It was cool to see that reaction still, in HIS 60s.

Turns out he was on his way to SXSW.

Third night at ACL Live-Moody for Robert Plant.  Only floor GA's remain and going fast.  I'd grab a pair if I were you.  NOt sure if that third night though has Lucinda Williams on the bill.  Didn't see her name on that specific click, but maybe it's just an oversight.  

“Since I’ve been lovin’ you” is my favorite Page performance. My favorite pedal maker is Catalinbread and Howard Gee is its co-owner and head designer. He plays about the best version of this song I’ve heard using their RAH pedal. That stands for Royal Albert Hall and It was designed to sound like Page did during 1970 and specifically his performance at RAH.

This guy is so uber talented...please listen

• Hook 'Em 2

I have that pedal. It makes me sound nothing like that. Or maybe it's me. 
Anyway, Howard is no longer with Catilinbread. 
(It's a great pedal)

Holy shit, really? I’ve been out of the pedal “loop” for a while and hadn’t heard that, what is he doing now? Guess I can google it, thanks for the heads up

16 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Holy shit, really? I’ve been out of the pedal “loop” for a while and hadn’t heard that, what is he doing now? Guess I can google it, thanks for the heads up

Not sure what he is doing. When the founder died a few years ago, his family took over and almost everyone who made the company what it is left the company.  Sad. I would only buy used, older CB pedals, at this point. Who knows what's going on with the production and build quality. 

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/changes-at-catalinbread.801012/

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  Sadly my biggest takeaway is how popular white caps were in the 1980's.  I didn't realize that until just now.  I honestly can't tell, or never read about it, was that appearance by the three LZ members a complete surprise to the audience?  Was it known ahead of time?  I was 9 so I really don't remember.  

But yes, another painful reminder that Plant is reluctant for any more shows because he can't do the swagger and whaling like he used to.  I can only assume Page and Jones have reminded him with painstaking detail that their catalogue is deep and rich.  They can find 10 songs he can hit masterfully, just as he always has.  

I don't remember how we knew, I guess it had been advertised or teased but I remember my best friend and I watching the whole thing until Zeppelin came on. I did a quick search for announcements or commercials announcing them playing but can't find anything.

And its funny about the reunions and speculations about them playing again. They seem to do something together every 10 years or so. I know Plant has always said it's not Led Zeppelin without Bonham and they wouldn't ever do new music under the name. Plant and John Paul Jones have both had very successful careers after Zeppelin.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:02 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I would pay a lot of money to see that.

And chances are, I'll have to.

The Billion Dollar tour.  I’ve said it for ten years.  They could go on tour as Led Zeppelin, play 150 dates over 2 years, and rake $1bn.   I’d pay a lot to see a 1 time tour as Led Zeppelin. 

I would seriously pay $2k for shit seats to be in house to see Led Fucking Zeppelin. 

And to the post post above about Plant’s voice,: A lot of people forget that he has a genuinely beautiful voice.  Just key it down an octave, and it still sounds unreal.   His work with Alison Krauss and others is beyond incredible 

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Listening to this at work right now.  Zep with three guitars kicks ass.  I wanted to make this tour, but I had the grad school poors blues.  Nice to see the vid.  

So I was just wondering around the innerwebz as a result and realized JP is now 74 years old.  Seven-Tee-Four.  I think the window for Billion Dollar Tours has passed.  I'm not seeing him up on stage for three hours at a stretch night after night.  That's hard work for people half his age.  I guess there's always Keef.  

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Listening to this at work right now.  Zep with three guitars kicks ass.  I wanted to make this tour, but I had the grad school poors blues.  Nice to see the vid.  

So I was just wondering around the innerwebz as a result and realized JP is now 74 years old.  Seven-Tee-Four.  I think the window for Billion Dollar Tours has passed.  I'm not seeing him up on stage for three hours at a stretch night after night.  That's hard work for people half his age.  I guess there's always Keef.  

Play every Saturday for 5 weeks in the same venue. Week off to move venue. 5 more saturdays at next venue. 

Do that at 10 venues and you have a 60 week tour that could fill wembly and similar venues 5x in minutes. 

50 gigs, playing to millions of people if stadium venues. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

47 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

my kid used to play baseball on a team where one of the parents was an uber-wealthy dry cleaning store tycoon and he went to the Celebration Day show at the O2 arena in 2007. No idea what he paid for that. 

BTW...released 39 years ago today

maxresdefault.jpg  

I used to watch the celebration show for hours on end on youtube, until most of the videos were removed from youtube.  

Funny story about In Through the Out Door...

We had a Mormon couple in our high school.  Dude played football with us, so we used to heckle him a bit about his Mormonism.  He confessed to us one day that he did his girl in the butt on the frequent, but they were still pure because they 'hadn't had sex' according to them.  

Well, his locker was next to mine in the hallway.  He rarely locked it because he and his girl would always leave little notes to each other (how we found out he was doin her dirty).   

I left them each a brand new copy of the album in there one day.  

• Like 5