Led Zeppelin

Deej

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Back in the 80's, I bought tons of Zep bootlegs on CD. They weren't cheap. Now, you can find all of the full concerts, just about, on YouTube and download and convert them to mp3. I would have so much more beer and weed money in college.

Man, I saw those at the shops, but I just didn't have the scratch to get them.  They were VERY expensive.  So glad we can get them now.   I'm loving hearing them for the first time.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this in the musical review thread, but it probably will reach more of its' interested audience here.  

Saw Lucinda Williams and Robert Plant last night at the Toyota Music whatever its called out in Las Colinas.

Lucinda is not aging particularly well.  She put in a musically fine, but not very energetic set. 

Robert put on a good show and the band was tight.  No doubt he can't hit the highs like he used to, but they did some pretty cool arrangements of the old stuff that compensated for it (playing in lower keys, or going for a low note instead of the old screechy highs).   I enjoyed it, but I can see why the time for a Zep reunion has passed.  

The thing that shocked me was the how old...and drunk...the crowd was.  Evidently they decided Tuesday night in Las Irving was the time to go for it like it's 1978.  I've seen aging rockers play (the Stones, Macca) and there's always a healthy crowd of teenagers/young 20 somethings who are there to see an icon.  That demographic was just not there at this show.  Maybe the ticket prices were too high?  Wife bought them as an anniversary gift so I don't know how much they were.  

But kudos to the handful of sweet young things who decided this was their occasion to go all 70s with tight bell bottoms and bra-less halters.  It was sincerely appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Apparently this came out a couple days ago. In. 

514DR7it-NL.jpg

Peter Grant is the most famous music manager of all time. Often acknowledged as the "fifth member of Led Zeppelin," Grant's story has appeared in fragments across countless Zeppelin biographies, but none has explored who this brilliant and intuitive manager yet flawed and sometimes dangerous man truly was. No one has successfully captured the scope of his personality or his long-lasting impact on the music business. Acclaimed author and journalist Mark Blake seeks to rectify that.

Bring It On Home is the first book to tell the complete uncensored story of this industry giant. With support from Grant's family interviews with Led Zeppelin's surviving band members, and access to Grant's extensive archive and scores of unpublished material, including his never-before-published final interview, Blake sheds new light on the history of Led Zeppelin and on the wider story of rock music in the 1960s and '70s.

Full of new insights into Grant's early life as an actor, wrestler, and road manager for rock 'n' roll pioneers Chuck Berry and Little Richard; the formation of Led Zeppelin; his seclusion following the demise of the band; and his recovery from substance abuse, Bring It On Home reveals a man who, after the extraordinary highs and lows of a career in rock 'n' roll, found peace and happiness in a more ordinary life. It is a celebration, a cautionary tale, and a compelling human drama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In an hour, the album Led Zeppelin will turn 50 years old.  Released in the United States on 12 January 1969.  Music was never the same again.  I wouldn't get to listen to it for about another 20 years, but it certainly changed my taste in music.  Influenced the instruments I played thereafter (gave up piano and saxophone for drums and guitar), inspired me to get my broadcast license to host a classic rock show on non-profit FM radio, and of course-changed my entire outlook on culture and the Blues.  I understand why a reunion isn't possible, but take a moment on Saturday, listen to the album in its entirety (in the original order), have a drink or whatever with it, and let your mind wander to around the era when you first heard it and how nothing ever sounded quite the same ever again.  

Some years ago I remember the CD box set  they put out that included all of their studio recordings. If I remember correctly it was rather expensive for the time ($130?). But includes all 10 albums. Including a booklet with photographs and details of each album.

To this day I believe it is one of the better box sets that was put out during that time, and is an easy way of not only having all of their studio work in one, easy to listen spot. But made for a neat collectible.

That’s a beautiful pic.  I listened to the first album cover to cover while cleaning out a small part of the garage today.  Not a technically great album, but such a rock departure from what was out there at the time.  And it resonated. Follow that up with the brown bomber and they were off to the races.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, Grandioso said:

That 77 shit needs to be on vinyl. 

I have never heard about the bootlegs some of you are mentioning. Is the sound quality good? As I would love to hear them.

The closest thing that I have ever listened to are the BBC recordings, and to be honest they are not very good. Some tracks sound as if they were just letting tape run without any intention of ever releasing it. And some tracks were so bad that I have actually heard cover bands do a better job then what the record companies put out for us to buy. 

2 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have never heard about the bootlegs some of you are mentioning. Is the sound quality good? As I would love to hear them.

The closest thing that I have ever listened to are the BBC recordings, and to be honest they are not very good. Some tracks sound as if they were just letting tape run without any intention of ever releasing it. And some tracks were so bad that I have actually heard cover bands do a better job then what the record companies put out for us to buy. 

The Danish TV Special is better than most of the shit on BBC Sessions. There is a Seattle bootleg that is probably one of the most famous. All the stuff is on youtube (I think). 

Edited by Grandioso

Many of the bootlegs were soundboard recordings, and on more than a few, the quality is pretty damn good. Jimmy said they were all stolen from his home at some point by someone he had trusted.

Quite a few are on YouTube, and I used some software program to burn the audio onto my hard drive at one point. 

It was common to find CD's of many performances in record stores in the 80's.

Guys on the message boards would burn copies for you if you sent them blank cds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandioso said:

Seattle 75 sounds right. i definitely remember Over the Hills and Far Away being on it. If this isn't it, it is probably better than the one I'm talking about. 

Dat Trampled Under Foot. Damn.

Trampled Underfoot always sounded great live. I've got the Dallas and Ft. Worth shows from 75 somewhere and that song kicks on those. In My Time of Dying, too.

• 2 months later...

Saw a Zeppelin tribute-type band in Phoenix Friday.  I hesitate to call them a tribute band since it was five guys (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, rhythm guitar/keyboard, and drummer/lead vocals) and no attempt to dress/look like zeppelin, but they were fun, energetic, and entertaining.

Zeppapotapuss 

The other day I had some driving to do. I told Siri to play led zeppelin and my phone randomly cycled through the 100 or so zeppelin songs I have on it for about 3 hours.

I highly recommend doing that if you haven’t lately.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, Deej said:

Back in the 80's, I bought tons of Zep bootlegs on CD. They weren't cheap. Now, you can find all of the full concerts, just about, on YouTube and download and convert them to mp3. I would have so much more beer and weed money in college.

You can also download them in lossless at shnflac.net

• Like 1

When I was about 12, so 1980 ish, I sold enough seeds or cards or some shit from out of the back of a magazine to earn two albums. I picked Led Zeppelin 4 and the long run. Didn’t know all that much about either but I did know those bands were supposed to be good. First real albums I ever acquired on my own. About a month later when they showed up I put the needle on the first track of zeppelin 4: “Hey hey momma said the way you move, gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove!” Then, The Riff.

Haven’t been the same since.

• Like 5

There's nothing quite like driving 281 or 16 during the spring and attempting to blow the stereo out listening to Rain Song and That's the Way.  Both are on my Texas Road Trip playlist which consists mostly of REK No.2 Live Dinner and other Texas type musicalities.  

Just something about the wistful nature of those songs, the open road, and driving nowhere in particular.  

I’m not nearly the knowledgeable fan of LZ that I am of Floyd, but they’re definitely the complete package and obviously giants of rock and roll...but it’s always been that rhythm section that held the most attention for me. JPJ and of course Bonham are/were an unbelievable pair that captivated me, so it’s no surprise that one of my absolute favorites is The Ocean.

Before our wedding we were meeting with our videographer, and music came up. The dude said his favorite band was LZ, and I mentioned how much I loved The Ocean...among other tunes like Fool In The Rain and its famous shuffle.

Dude gave me a funny look and said ‘oh man I haven’t heard of that one’. We still talk about that today.

• Like 1

The other day I had some driving to do. I told Siri to play led zeppelin and my phone randomly cycled through the 100 or so zeppelin songs I have on it for about 3 hours.

I highly recommend doing that if you haven’t lately.

Back in college once a year we would do LZ Lab, which meant a bunch of us would drink beer and smoke weed and listen to every LZ album all in a row. 81 songs, 7 hours. I miss that.

On the cover band front: I saw Lez Zeppelin (all girl cover band) on a Thursday night at Bonnaroo in 2008. They opened with Immigrant Song and just crushed it. You could tell it was the biggest crowd they had ever played to and they were loving it.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Has anyone seen a zoso gig?  I remember hearing ads for their gigs, thought they were a regular cover band. But just looked at their website and they are a very corporate cover band such that it’s borderline musical theater. 

Just did a couple weeks ago.  Fan-fucking-tastic.