So What are You Actually Doing to Stop Trumpism - 2018

tantric superman

Beto seems like such a positive breath of fresh air, while Cruz seems like cynical tired shit warmed over.

He is definitely going to pull some voters who may have voted for Cruz last time, but considering Texas, i doubt it will be enough.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Engaging pro-Trump family members and friends about issues they can’t really defend.

i am definitely not doing this with my 80 year old parents, as it only leads to arguments, resentment, and bad feelings. I would regret forever if that was our relationship in the last years of their lives.

I will save everyone on this thread the trouble and answer the question you all are going to be asking the day after the midterms.   

Q.  What the fuck happened?  All the polls said the Democrats were going to roll this election but they ended up losing more seats.  How does this happen?

A.  This thread is how this happened.  All the things you have done this election cycle has not deterred anyone planning to vote Trump or Republican from voting Trump or Republican.  What it has done is deter people who vote Trump or Republican from telling anyone, including pollsters, that they are going to vote Trump or Republican because if we wanted to listen to pompous asses give us lectures on how we should think we would watch Lawrence O'Donnell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The things you are supposed to do:

Of course, voting

Working with other folks on voter registration efforts

Encouraging friends and colleagues to vote

But some things we haven't done much of previously:

Contributing money to candidates

Finding campaign volunteering opportunities

AND, some things that we REALLY haven't done before:

I'm helping my wife and other clergy members who have formed an effective advocacy group to engage with state and national leadership on issues of importance to them.  They've already done significant work with numerous state legislators and specific committees, and have been meeting with US Senate staff as well.

Also, I have friends in Republican leadership positions.  I have engaged them privately, and have worked on gently persuading them.  I am encouraged that most of them acknowledge -- privately -- that Trump is a cancer and is largely indefensible.  I remain discouraged that they follow that with "but, what are you going to do?  He has 80% support in our party."  I just keep reminding them that they KNOW that the time will come when they need to show the courage of their convictions, and stand apart from the crowd.  For me, it would have come much sooner, but if one of them turns, that will be a good outcome.

Oh, and if he fires Mueller, I'll be out in the streets with everyone else, shutting this bitch down.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I will save everyone on this thread the trouble and answer the question you all are going to be asking the day after the midterms.   

Q.  What the fuck happened?  All the polls said the Democrats were going to roll this election but they ended up losing more seats.  How does this happen?

A.  This thread is how this happened.  All the things you have done this election cycle has not deterred anyone planning to vote Trump or Republican from voting Trump or Republican.  What it has done is deter people who vote Trump or Republican from telling anyone, including pollsters, that they are going to vote Trump or Republican because if we wanted to listen to pompous asses give us lectures on how we should think we would watch Lawrence O'Donnell.

That is bullshit.  I know many folks, including a number who post here, who once voted exclusively or occasionally Republican who have decided to vote straight D as a protest against (and effort to topple) Trump.  

Your post is an attempt to discourage Democrats and nonpartisan Trump opponents from continuing to pursue a successful strategy.  It won’t work.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It's so nice when extremists on the right give us such helpful advice on how to beat them!  I'm definitely taking your well-meaning advice to heart and changing my entire approach. Thank you for your generosity. 

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's so nice when extremists on the right give us such helpful advice on how to beat them!  I'm definitely taking your well-meaning advice to heart and changing my entire approach. Thank you for your generosity. 

That advice is worse than the recipe for success cooked up by your own folks in 2016?

lolz.

Trump should never have been elected POTUS ever, yet somehow y’all created an environment in which he prevailed.  Good luck changing the narrative with “ Results are fantastic but his heart is black with hate.”

At least I know James Carville, Karl Rove, and David Axelrod are not posting in this thread.  You seem to think the reason people aren't voting for Democrats is because the Democrats aren't insulting and demeaning the voters who aren't voting for them enough.

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Trump should never have been elected POTUS ever, yet somehow y’all created an environment in which he prevailed.  Good luck changing the narrative with “ Results are fantastic but his heart is black with hate.”

ah, this an oldie, but a goodie. Trump election was Democrat's fault.

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

ah, this an oldie, but a goodie. Trump election was Democrat's fault.

It was yours to lose, was it not?

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Right.  Keep holding on to Hillary as if she's at all relevant to the mid-terms.  We'll see what happens in November. 

I deliberately did not mention her.  Acting as if the Dem candidate did not matter absolutely put Trump in the Whitehouse.

Maybe the outrage and hurt feelins against Trump will be enough to turn the tide

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

That advice is worse than the recipe for success cooked up by your own folks in 2016?

lolz.

Such bullshit. The far right and their propaganda machine (fox news) created the situation we have today. Own it. Quit trying to blame the “left” for everything when your side controls everything. 

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Such bullshit. The far right and their propaganda machine (fox news) created the situation we have today. Own it. Quit trying to blame the “left” for everything when your side controls everything. 

I don’t watch foxnews. It’s pure bullshit, just like the media in general.  Fuck being pissed off all the time...although the left has equal footing on that hill.

I’m not blaming the left for anything but their own fate.  Would you disagree that it was not their election to lose when it came to the whitehouse?  Some of the left is still in disbelief that it even happened.  It was a slam dunk that bounced off the rim back to half court.

53 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Or you’d watch Fox News. 

Im not sure why you people keep leaving out Fox News when it comes to the “telling people how to think” “argument.”  That channel is the best at telling people what to think and believe.

Edited by Pancho Negro

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don’t watch foxnews. It’s pure bullshit, just like the media in general.  Fuck being pissed off all the time...although the left has equal footing on that hill.

I’m not blaming the left for anything but their own fate.  Would you disagree that it was not their election to lose when it came to the whitehouse?  Some of the left is still in disbelief that it even happened.  It was a slam dunk that bounced off the rim back to half court.

History shows that a party rarely keeps the White House for 3 consecutive terms. You may not watch Fox News, but you can’t deny their rhetoric has fed what we are seeing today. I know perfectly sane, educated people that think Nancy Pelosi is a cunt and is evil. I mean really? They’ve learned this way of thinking from right wing media. 

So Foxnews is all powerful, over all of the media outlets with the opposite slant?

c’mon man...

You’re looking for a scapegoat for that which you cannot(or will not) explain.

Question: can the left reverse this course by showing up in November?  Was 2016 the result of complacency or a true change of heart by middle of the road Americans?  Does the left have the votes?

Edited by slorch

I would say they are 65-70% responsible for it, but the rest of it can easily be blamed on a) terrible Democrat positioning, platform and messaging, b) weak candidates, and c) yes, the over-the-top, hold-your-breath like a toddler, naive utopia view of the world, racist-calling, I’m smarter than you, folks on the left who refuse to address what are some real issues and instead put most of their energy into belittling others.

I see this behavior hundreds of times a day on the Donald Trump thread. They’ve all but driven out reasonable minded individuals, leaving nothing but a few Trump trolls and an echo chamber of the left, where they joke all day long about how every Republican hates brown people. It’s sickening.

Yes, there are a bunch of dumb older white dudes out there that have a misguided view of politics. But at the same time, there are also a bunch of dumbass millennials who don’t want to address real issues because it might make someone unhappy or angry.

Both sides are a joke, but I will agree that the Republicans are in a comfortable lead as idiots, which is why my voting will be D in the near future. The first party that wakes up and starts proposing real solutions to real problems will get my vote for the long-term.
  • Like 4

Okay Slorch, I’m going to try and explain how Fox News works.

Let’s say you are a casual observer of politics that already doesn’t care for Hillary Clinton, illegal immigrants, Muslims, liberals, or the MSM.

You didn’t think these things were inherently evil, you just didn’t care for them for whatever reason.

Well Fox News is acutely aware of your natural ideological tendencies and they will exploit those to keep you watching.  

Not only will they push your slight disdain for Hillary, immigrants, Muslims, liberals, MSM to unbridled hate, they will make up reasons for you to justify your hate which are usually greatly overblown, misleading, or outright false.

You don’t care about that because you like the fuel you’re being fed to justify your original dislike.

Then you go out in society and talk to other people that watch Fox News that have also had their natural tendencies exploited. You become like minded individuals.  You create a bond that reinforces your commitment and affirmation to the hate that has now been largely manufactured from what was originally only slight dislike.

The consequences of this process is your immediate reaction to anyone outside the Fox News bubble is emotional disgust and rejection because they just don’t know the truth that Fox News has been telling you for so long.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

One you have never asked yourself, but should, before or after the midterm, is why you are an insufferable cunt.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

At least I know James Carville, Karl Rove, and David Axelrod are not posting in this thread.  You seem to think the reason people aren't voting for Democrats is because the Democrats aren't insulting and demeaning the voters who aren't voting for them enough.

Your ability to miss the point is truly breathtaking.

EMAW, you aren't going to vote for a Democrat.  I don't fucking care.  I'm not going to tailor my speech to avoid hurting your feelings.  You are too fucking stupid to recognize a value a system, so nothing I say will result in you deciding to vote blue.  I can tell you to go fuck yourself a million times, and it makes absolutely no difference.  But, I might get carpal tunnel, so I will just say it four times.  Go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself. 

See, no difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

There are more Beto signs in Rex's neighborhood than anywhere else right now.  People are sick of the current Canadian senator representing them.  He's going to lose.  And it has nothing to do with Trump.

I think his abortive Presidential campaign did a lot to expose Cruz to his constituents.  And yeah, I've never seen so many D signs in nawf Dallas.

4 minutes ago, seven said:

So this is now the thread where voluntary trump voters blame other people for trump being president? 

Yes.  It's the same old routine of the wifebeater yelling at the woman "stop making me hit you!"  They think they're being persuasive.

They're not.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Let’s say you are a casual observer of politics that already doesn’t care for Hillary Clinton, illegal immigrants, Muslims, liberals, or the MSM.

You didn’t think these things were inherently evil, you just didn’t care for them for whatever reason.

Well Fox News is acutely aware of your natural ideological tendencies and they will exploit those to keep you watching.  

Not only will they push your slight disdain for Hillary, immigrants, Muslims, liberals, MSM to unbridled hate, they will make up reasons for you to justify your hate which are usually greatly overblown, misleading, or outright false.

You don’t care about that because you like the fuel you’re being fed to justify your original dislike.

Then you go out in society and talk to other people that watch Fox News that have also had their natural tendencies exploited. You become like minded individuals.  You create a bond that reinforces your commitment and affirmation to the hate that has now been largely manufactured from what was originally only slight dislike.

The consequences of this process is your immediate reaction to anyone outside the Fox News bubble is emotional disgust and rejection because they just don’t know the truth that Fox News has been telling you for so long.

This can literally be said about CNN and any other main stream media. Not just faux news. 

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This can literally be said about CNN and any other main stream media. Not just faux news. 

I knew this was coming and yes other media outlets exploit natural ideological tendencies as well which is precisely why getting all your political information from a single source is so dangerous and negligent.  

The difference with Fox News is they market themselves as the only media outlet you can trust while bashing all other MSM nonstop.

The first thing they tell you in a cult is “everyone else is lying.”

What have I done?

So far the only thing I've done is reach out to Christian friends who have spoken out against the Trump Administration's un-Christian actions to thank them for placing morals, principles, and true beliefs ahead of their political team. Basically to let them know that I admire their courage and conviction in standing up for what's right. It means a lot to people who feel like they may lose many friendships for standing up for what they believe is right to hear from friends that they are admired for that stand.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

register, then vote for Beto to send a massive blue shock to DC.  Aim to register 20-30 friends and family and cajole them towards Beto. 

Beto is the game changer this November. An upset would make global news and it's in our hands. Most people don't vote for senate, so this margin can be <100k which means it's winnable. Do it guys. I'm working on it , got 17 people registered so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I don't doubt that the entrenched remain entrenched on both sides.  It will be about the non-affiliated and apathetic (non)voters and who has the best GOTV.  the participation rates are low enough that an energized GOTV plan can result in a landslide, honestly either direction.  now that scares the fuck out of me, that there are THAT many people who may be energized to vote for Republicans based on the hideous Texas Republican Party platform I shared a few days ago, but that's a different discussion point.  Democrats can wreck shit up with enthusiasm and effective GOTV strategies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Thank you for the ‘explanation.’

I am amazed at how powerful and influential you believe Foxnews to be.  Seriously.  It’s a fucking joke of a network that does nothing but incite anger and pissedoffedness. 

What is more amazing is how you think it only happens with Foxnews.