wc day 14 :: will the boys from brazil survive a russian assault

Hagbard Celine

6 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Germany needs to do some house cleaning.

Low?  Gone.

Ozil?  Gone.

Khedira?  Gone.

Mueller?  Gone.

Start the fuck over with some young guys who give a fuck and play like it.

If they had brought their Confederations Cup Champion squad from last year, they would most likely have advanced out of the group. 

They already have a winning team, they just didn’t bring it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If they had brought their Confederations Cup Champion squad from last year, they would most likely have advanced out of the group. 

Seriously, why the fuck wasn't Sane on the squad?

I'm no coach, but I can read a fucking lineup.  And Germany's lineup that Low kept going with was slow and not creative on the finish.  Seems like Sane would have fixed that a bit.  Or, ya know, starting Brandt.  And keeping Ozil as far away from the pitch as possible.  The list goes on.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, plvhorn said:

If brazil win their group, that side of the bracket is stacked and will only get harder when the winner of the england / belgium group is decided. It might be worth landing in the 2 spot of group G. 

Oh it definitely is better being in 2nd out of G

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What’s sad is some of that was on the bench, Low was just too stubborn to give them the minutes. Mexico exposed that midfield trio, there was zero chance it was going to be any better against a fast and aggressive team like Korea. Goretzka should have played inside along with Gundogan with Rudy being hurt. Then you choose Ozil or Kroos to play with them. Brandt should have started on the wing where Goretzka was.

Gomez should have started over Werner every game.  They never had a target in the middle to play to or off of. Werner was too easy knock off the ball or mark out in the air.  Germany was stuck knocking the ball around the box trying to find a shot angle through 8 players the entire tournament. Just maddening. 

12 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Seriously, why the fuck wasn't Sane on the squad?

I'm no coach, but I can read a fucking lineup.  And Germany's lineup that Low kept going with was slow and not creative on the finish.  Seems like Sane would have fixed that a bit.  Or, ya know, starting Brandt.  And keeping Ozil as far away from the pitch as possible.  The list goes on.

Because Brandt is as good or better and because Brandt had played more games with the national team and everyone had better familiarity with him and he with them.

The problem wasn't taking Brandt, it was NOT PLAYING BRANDT ENOUGH. He hit the post in each of the first two games and should have been starting from the second game on.

Sane plays in a different country and doesn't have the same familiarity with the other players, nor they with him. That decision was fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Because Brandt is as good or better and because Brandt had played more games with the national team and everyone had better familiarity with him and he with them.

The problem wasn't taking Brandt, it was NOT PLAYING BRANDT ENOUGH. He hit the post in each of the first two games and should have been starting from the second game on.

Sane plays in a different country and doesn't have the same familiarity with the other players, nor they with him. That decision was fine.

You needed to take Brandt and Sane. Leave Khedira, or Özil, at Home but you have to take Sane. There is zero pace out wide without him and you end up just kicking the ball around the box.

Sane is definitely overrated from the EPL crowd. He's going to be a great future player for Germany, but he's way too inconsistent to reliably be called on. Brandt is also really, really damn good.

Ozil and Khedira were woeful again. I'd be surprised if the next manager of Germany relies on them as heavily as Low did. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Sane is definitely overrated from the EPL crowd. He's going to be a great future player for Germany, but he's way too inconsistent to reliably be called on. Brandt is also really, really damn good.

Ozil and Khedira were woeful again. I'd be surprised if the next manager of Germany relies on them as heavily as Low did. 

Overrated is a bit strong. He scored 10 goals and 15 assists in the premier league this year.

And its funny, people saying Sane did not have the experience playing with the rest of the team since he plays in England. Well does not seem like going with the German First policy worked well. 

No way in hell was Germany going to win in Russia. History and such... 

9 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I said this after Germany played Svenden...ive never even heard of this brandt guy and I thought he was their best player after 2 shots on goal. Haha

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Form at a club definitely doesn't always translate over to national teams. Watch his games against Brazil and Austria, both of which were pretty lackluster. 

Özil also doesn’t play in Germany and provides nothing. Neither does Draxler. He struggled in recent friendlies but is basically their only option for pace which they very clearly needed.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Özil also doesn’t play in Germany and provides nothing. Neither does Draxler. He struggled in recent friendlies but is basically their only option for pace which they very clearly needed.

Löw definitely loaded up on not very athletic guys that see defense as optional.

Ozil was definitely disappointing, but that's a ridiculous claim. Ozil had 1 goal and 4 assists in qualifying, and was dramatically better than Sane after he was pulled against Austria. Draxler has had a few goals and an assist in qualifying and was decent last year in the confederations cup. Sane has one assist, against Azerbaijan, his entire German career with no goals.

He's definitely a tad overrated. He's going to be a good player, but he wasn't the savior that Germany needed for this World Cup, particularly against teams that sat back deep and defended like all three teams in the group did against Germany. 

e: Here's a better article from Honigstein that explains why Low didn't bring him: 

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/germany/481/blog/post/3517585/why-leroy-sane-omission-by-germany-makes-sense-for-joachim-low

Edited by GabrielsHorn

50 minutes ago, Monster said:

If not for VAR...might have been 0-0 going into the 9 SIX MINUTES of extra time.

dude, you obviously werent watching, it was 6 mins of stoppage time and the goal was scored about 1 min into stoppage , it took 2-3 mins for the var to be reviewed.

per fifa rules, VAR reviews are stoppage time, thus they added the "3" mins lost from the var review to call the goal.  so they only made it 9 mins after the var review showed a goal.

without the review it would have been 0-0 with 4 more mins of stoppage time.

39 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

What’s sad is some of that was on the bench, Low was just too stubborn to give them the minutes. Mexico exposed that midfield trio, there was zero chance it was going to be any better against a fast and aggressive team like Korea. Goretzka should have played inside along with Gundogan with Rudy being hurt. Then you choose Ozil or Kroos to play with them. Brandt should have started on the wing where Goretzka was.

Gomez should have started over Werner every game.  They never had a target in the middle to play to or off of. Werner was too easy knock off the ball or mark out in the air.  Germany was stuck knocking the ball around the box trying to find a shot angle through 8 players the entire tournament. Just maddening. 

good succinct analysis, and I'm a soccer newb but agree with all that from games I watched.

Also, there was just an arrogance about this German squad when they had possession.  Like if they just made a bunch of cute passes with 9 guys forward they'd get a wide open shot, but no one was moving or making runs or creating passing angles.  maddening is right

18 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Ozil was definitely disappointing, but that's a ridiculous claim. Ozil had 1 goal and 4 assists in qualifying, and was dramatically better than Sane after he was pulled against Austria. Draxler has had a few goals and an assist in qualifying and was decent last year in the confederations cup. Sane has one assist, against Azerbaijan, his entire German career with no goals.

He's definitely a tad overrated. He's going to be a good player, but he wasn't the savior that Germany needed for this World Cup, particularly against teams that sat back deep and defended like all three teams in the group did against Germany. 

e: Here's a better article from Honigstein that explains why Low didn't bring him: 

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/germany/481/blog/post/3517585/why-leroy-sane-omission-by-germany-makes-sense-for-joachim-low

Sane improved dramatically over this past club season.  I watch a lot of City games and he wasn't the same player at the end of the season.  

I'm not sure he was the answer for this German world cup team, but to say he didn't do much for the national team before so he wasn't a good fit is a bit unfair IMO.

6 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

Sane improved dramatically over this past club season.  I watch a lot of City games and he wasn't the same player at the end of the season.  

I'm not sure he was the answer for this German world cup team, but to say he didn't do much for the national team before so he wasn't a good fit is a bit unfair IMO.

They needed someone who was direct and could effectively run at defenders in space. Same and Brandt are about the only options they had that do that unless they were going to bring someone like Bellarabi. I’m not saying Sane was the answer but it’s insane to bring a team with zero options for pace off the bench and very minimal pace overall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

He had chances against Austria and Brazil, both at towards the end of the season, and he was still disappointing for the national team. 

6 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

He had chances against Austria and Brazil, both at towards the end of the season, and he was still disappointing for the national team. 

So you’d rather bring Ozil, Draxler, Khedira, Gunter. Replace any of those guys with Sane and the squad is better.

Why was Ginter brought along by the way? I don’t think 5 CBs is necessary. 

26 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

dude, you obviously werent watching, it was 6 mins of stoppage time and the goal was scored about 1 min into stoppage , it took 2-3 mins for the var to be reviewed.

per fifa rules, VAR reviews are stoppage time, thus they added the "3" mins lost from the var review to call the goal.  so they only made it 9 mins after the var review showed a goal.

without the review it would have been 0-0 with 4 more mins of stoppage time.

this is the second time that germany got 6 minutes of extra time. i think the criticism is somewhat warranted. they were only in this position because of those 6 extra minutes against sweden.

• Like 1

Just got back from a bar in Singapore. Had tequila shots with a bunch of Koreans. Surreal night. Sucks that Mexico lost, gotta learn a lot from the loss but we made it through for the seventh time in a row. 

Don’t know what will happen next, possibly a loss, hopefully not. But there’s a chance and that’s all that matters right now. 

Vamos Mexico! Te llevo en la sangre! Amo a mi país, no mamés. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

No idea for Ginter, or 5 CB, but the rest of those players have proven that they can be good players for Germany. Sane hasn’t. For saying that he can break down tight defenses, you should watch how poor he was against Austria trying to do that role.

I watched those games. I watch every Germany game. They are my team other than the Yanks. He didn’t play great in the friendlies. He’s still clearly superior to Ozil and needed more shots. He’s young so he will of course be relatively inconsistent. My entire point isn’t even about Sane being amazing. The point is how poorly the squad was constructed overall and how it was clearly missing pieces that every team needs. At some point in every tournament you’re going to need some pace on the wing. At some point you’re going to have to play direct. Germany didn’t have the players to do that when they needed to. Ozil dribbling the ball backwards 40 yds from goal down 2 with just minutes remaining being a perfect example of that. 

• Like 1