Malapropisms, Bad English and shit

MaybeACoordinator

36 minutes ago, tx ind said:

From that link:  "Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

And this: 

Irregardless means the same as regardless, but the negative prefix ir- merely duplicates the suffix -less, and is unnecessary. The word dates back to the 19th century, but is regarded as incorrect in standard English

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/irregardless

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Although during one of the World Cup matches yesterday I pointed out to someone else bothered by that phrase that the words "could care less" can go together and be correct with the same meaning. One of the commentators noted that two teams playing in one of the matches didn't care about the result, so he said "neither team could care less" about the result. That is actually the correct way to say it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Although during one of the World Cup matches yesterday I pointed out to someone else bothered by that phrase that the words "could care less" can go together and be correct with the same meaning. One of the commentators noted that two teams playing in one of the matches didn't care about the result, so he said "neither team could care less" about the result. That is actually the correct way to say it.

Of course it's the correct way to say it.  "Neither" takes the place of the typically contracted "not," providing the required negative to convey proper meaning.  One could also say "No one could care less than I do," and this would also be a correct way to say "I couldn't care less."  As long as there is a negative in there somewhere, it works.

Here in west texas, the names of the days of the week have been truncated and it drives me insane

Sunday -> Sund-ee

Monday -> Mond-ee

Tuesday -> Tuesd-ee

... you get the point

Also "pilla" as opposed to pillow