Malapropisms, Bad English and shit

MaybeACoordinator

On 6/29/2018 at 6:54 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Llano Estacado - northwest of Llano.  I guess the importance is knowing when to pronounce words with double Ls and when to pronounce as Y.  If you get it wrong, you're either not from here or annoying af.

Username checks out

Glancing at this thread, I didn’t notice these:

• The misuse of the reflexive pronouns like himself, herself and (especially) myself in place of personal pronouns.  It’s a fucking epidemic out there  

• General personsl pronoun confusion. “Me and Reveille....” 

• Not using the ly suffix on adverbs. “That aggy speaks slow.”

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Glancing at this thread, I didn’t notice these:

• The misuse of the reflexive pronouns like himself, herself and (especially) myself in place of personal pronouns.  It’s a fucking epidemic out there  

• General personsl pronoun confusion. “Me and Reveille....” 

• Not using the ly suffix on adverbs. “That aggy speaks slow.”

That's you're fucking epidemic.  I seriously think that over 50% of the people on TV screw that up.  

Lolly, lolly, lolly, get your adverbs here...

People incorrectly using legal/criminal terms:
burgle vs rob
jail vs prison
Gun terms:
clip vs magazine
Automatic without the the use of semi
The made up term assault rifle based on the letters AR from AR-10/15 which is actually stands for Armalite Rifle. 
"High powered" in reference to said made up terms.
/No political nonsense
Not knowing the different between bullet, cartridge, and casing

Assault rifle is an actual military term dating from the 40s, which was before ArmaLite was founded.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:02 AM, bamachine said:

That one is missing the second part...if you are going to be stupid.

"You better be lucky" may not be that obvious to most people. It's mostly a Tex-Mex saying that's used as a threat. As in: "You better be lucky I don't beat your ass!"

Doesn't really bother me that much, more like a minor irritant, but the incorrect description of "unanswered points" or, as in this case, "unanswered runs" in sports commentary.

The final score was 14-12. The Marlins answered the 14 runs, they just didn't retake the lead. The Nationals scored 14 consecutive runs, not 14 unanswered runs.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/07/05/trea-turner-go-ahead-grand-slam-nationals-marlins

After trailing the Marlins 9-0 in the fourth inning, the Nationals rallied for six unanswered runs before Turner came up with the bases loaded in the sixth.

Turner yanked a grand slam just over the leftfield wall as Nationals Park erupted. 

After Turner returned to the dugout, he popped back out for a curtain call, lifting his helmet into the air to acknowledge the crowd. 

In all, the Nationals scored 14 unanswered runs after trailing 9-0.

The last team that won a game after trailing by nine or more runs was the Mariners, who beat the Padres 16-13 in 2016, according to ESPN Stats and Info.

Edited by Huckleberry

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, Huckleberry said:

Doesn't really bother me that much, more like a minor irritant, but the incorrect description of "unanswered points" or, as in this case, "unanswered runs" in sports commentary.

The final score was 14-12. The Marlins answered the 14 runs, they just didn't retake the lead. The Nationals scored 14 consecutive runs, not 14 unanswered runs.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/07/05/trea-turner-go-ahead-grand-slam-nationals-marlins

Unanswered isn’t right?

Been re-watching the Sopranos.  It has a ton:

"Quasimodo predicted all of this." -Bobby

"She's an albacore around my neck." -Johnny Soprano, about his wife Livia

"I agree with that Senator Sanitorium. He says if we let this stuff go too far, pretty soon we'll be fucking dogs." -Tony, talking to Dr. Melfi about homosexuality

"Revenge is like serving cold cuts." - Tony

"A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold." -Little Carmine

"We're in a fucking stagmire." Little Carmine

"You're very observant: the sacred and the propane." - Little Carmine

"I give him his present, this mellifluous box..." - Little Carmine.

"A guy like that is going out with a woman, he could technically not have penissary contact with her Volvo" - Tony

"There's no stigmata connected with going to a shrink" - Little Carmine

"Create a little dysentery in the ranks" -Christopher

"You know, Sung Tizzoo! The Chinese Prince Matchabelli!" -Paulie

"...what with the passing of Vito Sr., and all that entrails." - Tony, psychologizing about Vito Jr.'s adolescent difficulties (Thanks, Glen)

"I was prostate with grief." -Tony

"This alteration with Coco..." -Little Carmine

"You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads." -Little Carmine

I just read this somewhere else, and had forgotten how much it bothers me.

When someone says they "feel badly" for someone, they're saying that they are not good at feeling for them. 

What they mean to say is that they "feel bad" for them. 

• Like 2

Grammar Nazi here fighting the fights that need fighting.  HEB changed their 15 items or less signs after years of mocking from assholes like me.  Sweet victory.  Full disclosure, I did not learn until later on that all time and distance nouns use less, not fewer, even if the are countable.  A more skilled grammar Nazi pointed it out my incorrect use.  It humbled me.

• Like 1

Grammar Nazi here fighting the fights that need fighting.  HEB changed their 15 items or less signs after years of mocking from assholes like me.  Sweet victory.  Full disclosure, I did not learn until later on that all time and distance nouns use less, not fewer, even if the are countable.  A more skilled grammar Nazi pointed it out my incorrect use.  It humbled me.
English isn't a prescriptivist language. Go back to France.

• 1 month later...