Resorts west of Austin not named Horseshoe Bay?

Bill Clay

Check out a weekend rental on the Llano River.  There are some great places about 8 or so miles west of downtown off RR 152.  We haven't been in a while, but we rented a place for about 4-5 summers in a row.  It's not a resort by any means, but it was a really nice home with great river frontage away from the crowds, with water in some areas shallow enough for the kids to play for hours while the wife and I would sit in inflatable chairs and drink all afternoon. 

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I've done that but it seems a little kid heavy for what we're looking for.  It's just the two of us so I'm thinking more adult luxury.

La Canterra is very nice and from what I recall not as overwhelmed by kids.  But it's been years since I've been there.

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

La Canterra is very nice and from what I recall not as overwhelmed by kids.  But it's been years since I've been there.

Yeah, that's more like it.  Looks like maybe they've recently pumped a ton of money into that place.

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Funny I was just looking at that place and it’s definitely made the list.  Looks badass. Anyone ever been?

I have not.  But I've heard good things.  Last year they had a special where one of the activities was an LTC class.  We had friends do it and loved the place.  

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have not.  But I've heard good things.  Last year they had a special where one of the activities was an LTC class.  We had friends do it and loved the place.  

Looks like maybe they close for the summer (zero availability from about July until September 1st).  I guess that makes sense because a lot of the draw looks to be outdoor stuff which I'm sure would suck in the heat.  Otherwise, the place looks to be almost custom made for Mrs Landomatic and me.  Heavy emphasis on food, wine and horses...three of our favorite things.  Maybe slightly dated and definitely not for the poors but we may try to check it out sometime this fall or next spring when the weather is cooler.

We've been to Lost Pines many times.  Yes, there are a lot of kids there, but they have an adult only pool that's pretty mellow, along with horseback riding, a great restaurant that is too pricey for most families, a spa, etc.  It can work for couples.

• 2 years later...

Trying to find something on short notice (2 nights a week from today) like the Inn at Dos Brisas (closed temporarily due to COVID according to website) or Rough Creek Lodge (no availability next week). The wife and I had our 2nd vaccine doses last week, going to do a mid-week adults only getaway. She wants a massage and a spa, I want some peace and quiet and sexy time. 

Any ideas gentlemen?

Is there anything in the Burnet/Llano area that's a resort type property anywhere near the level of HSB? Fredericksburg an option if there's something down there.

Miraval is not as remote (Lake Travis) but fits your description of high end and not a place people bring the whole squad of kids.

19 hours ago, hornian said:

She wants a massage and a spa, I want some peace and quiet and sexy time. 

Will you have to schedule the sexy time during a 1 hour massage or are you sending her for the "day at the spa" while you take care of it?  SB thread is that way.

Edited by orange dream

20 hours ago, hornian said:

Trying to find something on short notice (2 nights a week from today) like the Inn at Dos Brisas (closed temporarily due to COVID according to website) or Rough Creek Lodge (no availability next week). The wife and I had our 2nd vaccine doses last week, going to do a mid-week adults only getaway. She wants a massage and a spa, I want some peace and quiet and sexy time. 

Any ideas gentlemen?

https://www.sagehill.com/   formerly Inn Above Onion Creek.  

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Maybe check out JL Bar Ranch in Sonora.

48 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

https://www.sagehill.com/   formerly Inn Above Onion Creek.  

Both good ideas, however neither have availability for the dates we are looking at. 

I could book Lake Austin Spa Resort, but want to try to get further out of town. 

For those mentioning La Cantera, I concur. However, JW Marriott is much boozier:

In May 2019, SA press put out an article about the top grossing places in town in terms of alcohol sales. For reference, Top Golf was in the top bunch with $346k, AT&T Center (Spurs) with $466k, La Cantera with $880k.... but none came close to #1 JW Marriott Hill Country Marriott and Spa with over $1.5M in alcohol sales for the month. 

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Miraval is not as remote (Lake Travis) but fits your description of high end and not a place people bring the whole squad of kids.

My wife said no when she saw it was a digital device free property. We can't be alone with our thoughts for that long!

• Haha 1

Welp, nothing we liked in Texas had any availability for our dates (admittedly, we are booking last minute). So flying to Memphis and staying at the Peabody Hotel for 2 nights. Let's test these vaccines out!

Edited by hornian
Me no spell god

On 6/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that's more like it.  Looks like maybe they've recently pumped a ton of money into that place.

Este... You could also do a few days there and then move down to the Hotel Emma for a change of pace

7 hours ago, hornian said:

Welp, nothing we liked in Texas had any availability for our dates (admittedly, we are booking last minute). So flying to Memphis and staying at the Peabody Hotel for 2 nights. Let's test these vaccines out!

Enjoy the ducks (and hopefully, some sexy time) at the Peabody.  Say hello to Elvis at Graceland.