Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, zork said:

Anyone that wants to have a chance at success, that's who.  Teach your kids to respect the law and stay married, for the sake of society at large.  It is known.

duh, the power dynamic of survival mandates following politically establish 'rules', but that's beside the point. 

I voted for Hillary. Didn't like it but I did. Most of us on here were in the same boat I was -- Texans, whose vote meant little, although her somewhat surprisingly decent showing was encouraging, I guess. She wasn't going to win Texas even if every SJW in Austin voted three times and every voter in the Valley voted five times.

So kindly please spare the rants against Texans who voted for Stein or Johnson. It really didn't make a shit. Take those diatribes over to Michigan, Wisconsin and PA boards. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Why would Flake go against a Republican nomination? He may dislike Trump but putting another Gorsuch on the court would be completely aligned with his political background.

Trump will get his nominee. He's a scorched earth President. No one in his party will go against him unless he nominates a complete clown.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The good news is there won't be a vote before the election.

Every single bit of business in the Senate is going to come to a screeching halt from here to November.

Harry Reid and the nuke option says not so fast.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The good news is there won't be a vote before the election.

Every single bit of business in the Senate is going to come to a screeching halt from here to November.

Prove it.

McConnell has every incentive to get this confirmation through committee and onto the floor yesterday.  And the Democrats can't stop it.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep.  You guys better move.  Trump hates you.   

At the rate your party is going I’m sure Stephen Miller is looking for a loophole in the emancipation proclamation. It’s what y’all want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Everybody give a big shoutout to Vladimir Putin, James Comey, the Trump supporters in FBI's NYFO, everyone who got fooled into hating Hillary Clinton, everyone who underestimated the efficacy of Russian propaganda, Glenn Greenwald, Cynthia Nixon, Susan Sarandon, & Jill Stein!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Everybody give a big shoutout to Vladimir Putin, James Comey, the Trump supporters in FBI's NYFO, everyone who got fooled into hating Hillary Clinton, everyone who underestimated the efficacy of Russian propaganda, Glenn Greenwald, Cynthia Nixon, Susan Sarandon, & Jill Stein!

What reddit forum did you copy and paste this from?  You should give the proper attribution. 

3 minutes ago, Burt said:

The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.

that's not how this works.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if Ruthie will say, "Doeifw dsofiewm dmbsjev dsoewi8he sdifjn!!"

which is 85-y.o. speak for "Well if THAT motherfucker's leaving, I can't hold the ship any longer.  I'm da fuq outtahere myself now!!"

Strange days, indeed [/JohnLennon]

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Or Trump nominates Bush's equivalent of Harriet Miers and Republicans reject them. I don't have faith that Republicans will reject any nomination even if completely unqualified. 

Edited by Washpark

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Garland, less than 8 months before the presidential election.

Kennedy's replacement, will be more than 27 months.

So where do you draw the line then?   10 months?  16 months? Whatever works best for you?

10 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

The Senate couldn't even get the nominee a confirmation hearing in 9 months times a couple of years ago? what make you think they can actually confirm one  in 4 months now?

oh.

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I believe what he's trying to say is "Do as I say, not as I do."

MM's logic is "the American people spoke in 2016 and elected Trump." The only voice that matters, per Republicans, is the guy in office.  Since Trump isn't up for re-election, they can do what they want.

Besides, it's not like Congress has ever "spoken" for anyone, or cared what "we the people" think.

19 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Blacks, Latinos, women, lgbtq—are fucked.

thanks 

Don't forget individuals will be further under thumb of corporations ('cause they're people dontcha know).  There will be no relief for the common man.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's leaving at the end of July. There won't be a ninth justice before the end of the year.

There will be.

MM already canceled August recess.  I guarantee we will know the name within 2 weeks and a vote will happen by August/September.

we had a strict conservative in scalia. i don't think we really know what gorsuch will do in the next ruling or 5 years from now. we always knew trump was getting 2-3 justices, because of scalia, and the general age of the justices.

and i'm a weirdo, but i prefer a conservative supreme court. what i worry about is that pendulum swinging into a rubber stamp. i happen to hope that the justices on the surpreme court aren't overly activist, however, and i hope that decisions will continue to be balanced.

a cynic is only a frustrated optimist, after all.

• Like 4